1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The AI and Atomic Bombs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Cheeseisgood, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Cheeseisgood

Cheeseisgood Warlord

First time playing Civ after a while and I don't remember having this problem before:

The AI's obsession with building atomic bombs.

Obviously to take a city you need to send a few units in at once and co-ordinate things, rather than just dribble your troops at the opponent. Unfortunately whenever he senses I have 3 or more troops in the general area of a city, Julius decides to bomb it! He seems to have an endless supply of these things and I've written that game off as a total loss seeing as I have no way of keeping aircraft

I don't remember this problem before, is this something other people are experiencing?

2. JeanBaptiste

JeanBaptiste Warlord

Yes it can be annoying but there are a few measures to counter it.

1) Get nukes yourself, obviously. Then nuke cities with nukes in them (they get destroyed)

2) The AI won't nuke their own territory or at least where they have units. So advance in to their land and get away asap when you've captured a city.

3) Target their Uranium and send suicide squads to pillage it. They can still use the nukes they already built but won't be able to build new ones since the AI take a stupidly long time to repair pillaged tiles.
    For this you need proper beforehand scouting so you know your where it is. A good unit for these missions is the helicopter that can go deep in to the enemies territory due to its mobility. Also have knowledge of the AIs CS allies and their gifted resource. Sometimes they only get their Uranium supply from a CS.

3. Pax_Romanus

Pax_Romanus Chieftain

Also, when you use a nuke, you get the uranium back that you used to build it. If Julius has a lot of extra cash just lying around, he's probably just buying a few of them back after he uses them, which would explain how he seems to have an infinite amount. Of course, this strategy works both ways...