The AI tech priority

Lemminkäinen

Warlord
Played a Monarch game of Kahdi. Now I'm normally an Emperor/Immortal player, so Monarch was a tad too easy, but what I'm really asking about is the tech priority of the AI. All the AIs got nice valleys so they all got off the ground nicely. They are supremely backwards compared to me, but the main thing I'm wondering about is the fact that Dural don't have Mining yet (though they do have Beast Handling). Seriously weird fighting against Rangers amidst non-mined grassland copper. Meanwhile the Mazatl just asked me for Agriculture! I have Strength of Will and they don't have Agriculture (and therefore no Education, either).

I think that this is a problem - the AI shouldn't neglect the absolutely vital worker techs for so long under any circumstances.

I wholeheartedly agree. The weighting should be such that AI civs won't neglect critical lower :science: techs while beelining deeper techs.

Sadly, I think the issue has more to do the incompetence of AI workers. They are too busy spending ~60 turns turning a perfectly fine riverside grassland tile into a fort, then a workshop, then a fort. I love the "build anything on turn 1" part of FF ... but I really don't think the AI can handle it for the most part. Sometimes they can, but other times they are so ridiculously bad with how they handle their lands. I think it's gotta go. :sad:

I wholeheartedly agree. The weighting should be such that AI civs won't neglect critical lower :science: techs while beelining deeper techs.
Aye, beelines deeper are nice and characteristic, but they shouldn't be too extreme and the very basics like Mining and Education should be taken care of before wacky beelines to Beast Handling or whatever.

Sadly, I think the issue has more to do the incompetence of AI workers. They are too busy spending ~60 turns turning a perfectly fine riverside grassland tile into a fort, then a workshop, then a fort. I love the "build anything on turn 1" part of FF ... but I really don't think the AI can handle it for the most part. Sometimes they can, but other times they are so ridiculously bad with how they handle their lands. I think it's gotta go. :sad:
If the AI could be restricted so that they use it only on resources it would probably work OK. But them using hundreds of turns to build wind mills is certainly cramping their effectiveness.

AI should be completely incapable of building forts within their city radius, unless the tile is completely worthless. Placed that block a while ago.

AI failure to get these basic techs was half the reason behind the new "build anything" system, and sometime (hopefully this summer) AI tech choices will be getting a hefty overhaul so that they are smarter and no beelines are coded anywhere.

but beelines ARE needed. We want the amurites to go for sorcery, and the Khazad to Way of the Earthmother. The Bannor to Code of Laws, etc.

The beelines just need to be delayed a bit, until a basic economy is in place.

No, Beelines aren't needed at all, if Tech choices are set up properly. We want those Civs to go that way because it is of benefit to them (Khazad for cash -- due to unique characteristic--, others for Unique Units/Civics/Buildings). A proper tech selection includes thinking about those things and planning for them.

No, Beelines aren't needed at all, if Tech choices are set up properly. We want those Civs to go that way because it is of benefit to them (Khazad for cash -- due to unique characteristic--, others for Unique Units/Civics/Buildings). A proper tech selection includes thinking about those things and planning for them.

Exactly. Khazad getting RoK first is better for the economy then festivals. Elves want the nice tile improvement from FoL. Early rush civs would definately want Bronze Working, but they would like to be able to support a massive army if they have one ... so would get supporting techs before they start working on other warlike ones.

Beelining deep techs like Sorcery, Ironworking or Honor/Deception very bad. I'd say the same for Drama and Feudalism but it seems to work out pretty well for the Balseraphs and Calabim.

Top Bottom