@@@@ the AI

Civilization lover

Chieftain
Literaly what is wrong with the ai? I bought this game 1 week ago and the big problem is that the AI just keep attacking me. First start I meet 2 civs. And what happens is next turn an insta joint war declaration. The AI is so dumb that I just think the guys who developed the AI are just braindead monkies behind PC screens like really!

Moderator Action: Made changes to your post to remove inappropriate language. Please help us keep the site family friendly. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the AI treats joint war declarations as just a thing to be traded, like gold or a luxury. This is why there are so many annoying joint war declarations... because the AI traded one to another AI. The devs should adjust this behavior

If you are playing on deity, your initial turns consist of coming up with a way to shut down 4-8 warriors, and to shut them down fast. It makes sense to attack a nation that is significantly weaker, so I'm not sure it's necessarily bad play, but it's true this asymmetric situation narrows what are viable options to the player.

I think the AI treats joint war declarations as just a thing to be traded, like gold or a luxury. This is why there are so many annoying joint war declarations... because the AI traded one to another AI. The devs should adjust this behavior
Yet we still can't barter with the AI to declare war on civs we are at war with...

Early war is fine. War is common in the ancient time. The first thing you should do is to send delegate to other civilizations if you are actually intended to befriend them. Otherwise, don't blame on them attacking because you are just being an impolite monkey.

The big problem is that they dont accept my sent delegation. Everybody attacks me for being weak, Harald like the wit he is keeps denouncing me becuse I dont have ships yet he doesnt understand that I'am not near a coast to build a ship. This game is broken, going back to civ 5 and never taking future civilization games.

The big problem is that they dont accept my sent delegation. Everybody attacks me for being weak, Harald like the wit he is keeps denouncing me becuse I dont have ships yet he doesnt understand that I'am not near a coast to build a ship. This game is broken, going back to civ 5 and never taking future civilization games.

The mechanics of this game are such that if you don't sufficiently defend yourself, you die. The other civs can do this cost-effectively if you're weak, meaning it's consistent with incentives and their highest benefit for the cost unless you invest to make that not true.

Having 8+ 30 strength units in you face by the time you have a good 2nd city down is defensible but not a cakewalk. Below deity a decent investment + placement of early game units should keep you alive + block pillaged tiles. If you're not doing even that, you're going to get conquered in game and deserve to be.

1. Are you sending delegations on turn one?
2. They attacked you for being weak in Civ V.
3. The ships thing is a mechanic to get Harald to declare war on those with weak navies--i.e. those he has an advantage over. It's one of the ones done right. You can actively make friends with him other ways (delegation, open borders, giving gifts) if you don't want to build a navy.

The game isn't broken, you simply don't like the Insta-war that is deity setting. Easily fixed by playing at Emperor.

1. Are you sending delegations on turn one?
2. They attacked you for being weak in Civ V.
3. The ships thing is a mechanic to get Harald to declare war on those with weak navies--i.e. those he has an advantage over. It's one of the ones done right. You can actively make friends with him other ways (delegation, open borders, giving gifts) if you don't want to build a navy.
Harald tends to like building ships as well. If you don't have coastal cities, he won't be as threatening as montezuma or gilgamesh early on.

Top Bottom