The Alexander the Great Project!

That looks really good. I definatly want the one with two eye colors, but can't decide whether the bronze or silver helmet is better. Guess I'll let achilleszero decide.

I would also like to add that, with the addition of Cleomenes, Pyrrhus and Antiochus, plus Bakuel's units and this LH there is no reason some intrepid modder out there shouldn't be able to throw together a nice Hellenic/Aegean mod.

EDIT: I am definitely a brown hair, two eye colors, bronze man.

Alright, well what do you want me to do? I could make buttons for each possible version (Blonde two eyes, blonde blue eyes, brown blue eyes, brown two eyes) and other than that is there anything else I really need to do?

EDIT: I'm an idiot, the buttons should probably be Blonde w. Silver armor, blonde w. gold armor, brunette w. silver armor, brunette w. gold armor. The eyes are probably not noticeable from the button perspective.

I guess buttons if you want. I already did blond with silver armor.

Maybe playtest it a bit, after that upload it to the db (it was your project after all ;) )

Well I playtested the . .. .. .. . out of the other one, so I trust the Coyote to know what he is doing. I uploaded it, if there are any issues I'm sure we'll find out. I am also pissed that the RoM people put up their LH pack. I wanted the Greeks to be together in the database :sad: .

Oh well.

Just a heads up, about when you state on the DL page that Alex pretty much plug and play. The BtS leaderheadinfos says Alexander_noshader and yours say Alexander_nonshader.

EDIT: The Alex_DIFF_1024 and the Alex_DIFF_1024_2eyecolor_brown dds files in the Extra Art folder seem to be identical. So with the Alex_DIFF_1024_Blond_Blue_Eye.dds in the main folder you are missing the brown with 1 eye color and the blond with 2 eye colors.

amazing leaderhead. please continue the good work with other leaderheads. :D

I think the eyes are independent so you can still use the combinations offered. Also I don't seem to have had any problems with the non_shader/no_shader issue. It works fine for me. Does anyone have any issues to report other than these?

Top notch LH!
With the quality of this LH there comes the inevitable question: did you optimize it? I just checked and it's 19Mb, which in itself is not much, but compared to other LHs, it's double or more. Couldn't at least some optimization be done?

Avian: I dont know much about what some of the textures used by LHs, but there are 4 textures, (2 EMSK and 2 SPEC that look like gloss maps), that seem like they could be sized down. I resized those from 1024 to 512 and couldnt tell any difference, and shaved 4MB from the total files size. Also 2MB of the file is just the button atlas, which wont add any since it replaces the vanilla atlas, but I made my own button to match the version Im using. So with that you could cut it down to 13MB if no difference is noticable.

Maybe theCapo could shed some light on how important the EMSK and SPEC maps are, as I dont want to degrade the aesthetics of maybe the best LH ever made (Firaxis made or otherwise).

Thanks, achilleszero, yep, those are the steps I usually take when shrinking those big heads;)
I just thought the artists might be willing to do something that would be "official" ... or at least, artistic ... ;)

spec should be the specular map (should be the gloss), emsk is the enviromental mask - after all i don´t really know much how they work together in detail (they shall look similar in most cases, but 'intelligent' differences between both shall have an great impact [i tried something, therefore they aren´t the same, but no idea if it worth the two different textures]) -

if you resize them and don´t see any effect it should be fine (also i´m not really an expert in creating them - they are simply greyed, contrast and bright changed version of the original texture bernie made - so you could also try if 256 hurts), simply was too to test the effect of resizing them, thought i upload a test version and not the already release version one :lol:

and shader leaderheads will cost more texture memory, they need 4 additional textures beside the the diff texture - also i think there is still a bit of trial and error needed to really figure out how to use this 4 shader textures effective (it was my first real try - after the technical test on jingu a while ago) -

but checked the vanilla lh, spec and emsk have 512 textures (like the diff), only the normal texture is 1024

edit: but there also seems to be another difference, my norm has 1.33 MB, the firaxian one 0.5, both are 1024 sized (no mip maps and DXT1 gave me the same size [no in game test] - so here seems another 1.5 MB possible)

Emsk and Spec seems also DXT1, but with mip maps (halves of the size of DXT 3)

also think the alex_body and alex diff textures can be saved without alpha (Alex_DIFF_1024_Blond_Blue_Eye.dds from 4 MB to 0.7 MB)

edit2: tested the changes with my texture setting and all seems to work fine (also reduced the background mountains texture [could be a bit to much]) - with this setting the lh size is 6.5 MB, attached the changed textures (only silver, blond, blue eye)

Attachments

• smaller_textures_silver.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
Nobody appreciates a masterpiece.... :rolleyes:

JK. I guess I can reupload it, but the point of having the alternate textures is to, well, have alternate textures. If you can do the same for the other textures I'll replace it, otherwise it stays as is.

Nobody appreciates a masterpiece.... :rolleyes:
as I dont want to degrade the aesthetics of maybe the best LH ever made (Firaxis made or otherwise).
Id mess with the mona lisa if I could get my hands on it.;)

edit: but there also seems to be another difference, my norm has 1.33 MB, the firaxian one 0.5, both are 1024 sized (no mip maps and DXT1 gave me the same size [no in game test] - so here seems another 1.5 MB possible)

Emsk and Spec seems also DXT1, but with mip maps (halves of the size of DXT 3)

Just tried the DXT1 compression on all the textures and it halved all of them for me. But what exactly is the difference between the DXT1 and DXT3? I normally use DXT3 as it gives me similar file sizes as the firaxis ones. If DXT1 compresses so much better than why hasnt everyone always been using it, or am I missing something here?

dxt1 has no alpha support (paint.net says 1bit alpha) - therefore is not usable for the helm diff texture - there the alpha channel is used for transparency

i normally use also only dxt3, so i was unsure if dxt1 works - but it´s seems for the game there is no difference

edit: the changed extra art folder attached, but i would let the people decide, so beside the env, diff and norm textures (which have the same resolution, only a different format) i would included the high res and the low res version of the shader textures (Emsk and spec textures and the mountains background)

edit2: if again uploading the lh, you could also included the other fixes (nifname, eg [was there more :confused: ])

Attachments

• Extra art.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 52
So is this now "optimized" (BTW, I think Optimized is the wrong word for this process) and ready to be reuploaded?

in the extra art there is a brown haired alex with 2 eyecolors and a blond alex with blue eyes, not any other combinations, so you might want to add some before reuploading :)

Top Bottom