The All Leaders Challenge Game Bullpen

Why only play 1 alc at a time though? The turnsets themselves doesn't take THAT much time :p. It is the disscussion that is interesting. Try running 2 parallel?
YOU try playing the game with extra care and attention because your every move is being watched and criticized, selecting a handful of illustrative screenshots out of a myriad, resizing and uploading them, then writing such erudite and witty prose (ahem ;)) to describe it all. One game at a time is quite enough! :faint:
Perhaps for Sis' grand finale, he should pick his favorite unrestricted combo for a diety roll. :king:
Queen Boudica of the Romans for Aggressive and Charismatic Praets. :goodjob:

YOU try playing the game with extra care and attention because your every move is being watched and criticized, selecting a handful of illustrative screenshots out of a myriad, resizing and uploading them, then writing such erudite and witty prose (ahem ;)) to describe it all. One game at a time is quite enough! :faint:
Nothing like a humble person ;) And as we're talking about erudite prose, I think that is better to post something in "Princes of Universe"... There are menaces about eating your brain out if you don't post :lol:
Queen Boudica of the Romans for Aggressive and Charismatic Praets. :goodjob:
If you want to go extreme, you may try Civ Customiser for Beyond the Sword 3.13 by Dale and give yourself Ikhandas and XP giving monuments :lol: Would be cool ;)

Nothing like a humble person ;) And as we're talking about erudite prose, I think that is better to post something in "Princes of Universe"... There are menaces about eating your brain out if you don't post :lol:
If you want to go extreme, you may try Civ Customiser for Beyond the Sword 3.13 by Dale and give yourself Ikhandas and XP giving monuments :lol: Would be cool ;)
I'll get to Princes this week.

That is a very cool mod. Dangerous, but cool. ;)

Hey Sisiutil is it possible to release 4000BC game start with other difficulty levels different to your current one?

I reckon there are people out there who want to play shadow games of your ALCs but can't becuase they're unable to handle the high difficulty levels so maybe next game you could release 4000BC starts at the lower levels like at Noble, Prince & Monarch unless there was a way to change difficulty level in the middle of a game if it's not too much to ask.

Beside you're gonna start an Immortal game after the Saladin ALC, I'm not sure how many people could follow through a shadow game at that level lol.

To change difficulty level of a game requires saving it as XML from worldbuilder, which Sisiutl can't do himself until the game is over. Obviously anyone wanting to shadow will also want to avoid worldbuilder, so it'd take someone who is not shadowing the game nor commenting on it to do the work.

To change difficulty level of a game requires saving it as XML from worldbuilder, which Sisiutl can't do himself until the game is over. Obviously anyone wanting to shadow will also want to avoid worldbuilder, so it'd take someone who is not shadowing the game nor commenting on it to do the work.

I've seen references here on the boards covering how to do this but I've never done it and don't have a clue how. Certainly if some generous soul wants to take the starts and post them at different difficulty levels, that would be nice, but I won't be doing it myself.

I've seen references here on the boards covering how to do this but I've never done it and don't have a clue how. Certainly if some generous soul wants to take the starts and post them at different difficulty levels, that would be nice, but I won't be doing it myself.

You might want to ask r_rolo1 if he's willing to help with this.

He's been doing a great job doctoring starts for the recent Noble's Club and Pick Your Leader series and might be willing to take up this task as well.

Or ... maybe we can convince him to write up a How-To article on it in the Strategy Articles section.!?

The latter would save him more work in the long-run.

Thanks for the understanding! I'm getting used to marathon as well, so coming back to epic for the ALCs is starting to feel weird. I may have to start a "what speed?" discussion in the bullpen.
No need! :D

I vote Marathon! :goodjob:

No need! :D

I vote Marathon! :goodjob:
I have noticed that Marathon seriously skews the gameplay, though. I mean, I enjoy the results, but there are substantial differences from Epic, more so, to my mind, that between Epic and Normal.

Obviously, as many maintain, Marathon is a speed for warmongers. It takes longer to develop the techs for and to build newer, more advanced units, but your existing ones move at the same speed, so you can war with your ancient/classical/medieval/renaissance/modern-era army for many, many more turns.

This tends to result in domination or conquest wins for me. Actually, in about a half-dozen marathon games I've played to completion, I've only ever won by domination. I can't imagine trying to win by culture or space race at this speed. I also tend to end the game much, much earlier, with world domination occurring, on average, in the 1700s rather than the late 1800s/early 1900s as in an Epic-speed dom win.

The other thing that happens is that on Marathon speed, a backward civ gets extremely backward in a relatively short time and stays there. With the increased research time and the warmongering advantages mentioned above, the merest sliver of a tech lead tends to snowball, while the tech laggards find it harder and harder to catch up. So there's another reason it's a warmonger's speed: not only do you get more use out of your army, if you play your cards right, there are a bunch of sitting ducks on the map.

So as much as I enjoy marauding around the map with Praetorians for hundreds to turns, I don't know if I'll adopt Marathon for a game... maybe not until I play a Rome ALC, since it really gives Praets a chance to shine.

Even then, I'd still rather see simply Epic speed. It's already slow enough. :)

Even then, I'd still rather see simply Epic speed. It's already slow enough. :)
I think the slowness is my own fault for not updating as fast as everyone would like! :lol:

Quick suggestion: You know how you have a little table of contents in the first posts of ALCs.. If its not too much trouble could you add links there to Validator's Dotmap (or whichever you're following)?

Quick suggestion: You know how you have a little table of contents in the first posts of ALCs.. If its not too much trouble could you add links there to Validator's Dotmap (or whichever you're following)?
That might be tough, because if you look at the link in the ToC, it contains code that leads you right smack-dab to the thread, page, and message, and I think I have to be the poster of the target message in order to get that info. I could be wrong.

Hmmm... you know what? Ain't gonna do it. Too much work, and often pointless, considering that my city sites usually end up in a mish-mash of all the dotmaps with which I'm presented. Just browse back through the thread, gang! ;)

I reckon that Sis has enough to do just playing the game and posting the results with carefully selected screenshots and bright purple prose.

Hmmm... you know what? Ain't gonna do it. Too much work, and often pointless, considering that my city sites usually end up in a mish-mash of all the dotmaps with which I'm presented. Just browse back through the thread, gang! ;)

Oh, no worries, I'm not an experienced poster here so I had no idea how easy or hard it was.

BTW thanks for hosting the show, it's a fun read! :goodjob:

Oh, no worries, I'm not an experienced poster here so I had no idea how easy or hard it was.

BTW thanks for hosting the show, it's a fun read! :goodjob:

It's always worth asking. And thanks for the compliment!

I have played marathon speed since CIV IV came out and I get plenty of space/diplo/cultural wins. Try a HUGE map a see how fast you can get a domination win at marathon speed.

Then again, I really don't know any better, as I do not play epic or standard unless I try to poorly shadow an ALC game.

Top Bottom