The Almighty Britain

Discussion in 'Total War' started by Truronian, Apr 18, 2006.

1. shortguy

shortguy It's a working title

Yes. It takes away Britain, makes the Roman factions into one, and adds Illyria.

2. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

I'm saying when I AM PLAYING AS THE BRITS. It is a real pain to raise an army of such expensive units (expensive for this nation). You won't be improving your cities much when trying to do so.

It can be done, but you must neglect improving your cities.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

what? All you have to do is start piling warbands n top of warbands, and starve them out of their cities! You can always retreat to the island in case of necessity, and in the first field encounters, you should push the Gauls and Germans one against the other, and fight only field encounters using PArthian tectics: just light chariots!

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

I was Rome (Julii) and I beat the Gauls, took the Brit's continental lands and prepared for the invasion of Britian. I split my armies to get each city at the same time. One of my armies (about 600 men) was ambushed by a huge full Brit army.....and we were utterly destroyed.

Yes. They have huge armies.

5. Vietcong

Vietcong Deity

germany is usely halfway conquerd by the brittons.
    another superpower are the egyptions :p
    macidon dose good allso.

6. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

The same with Egypt.

They just sprawl over that corner of the map. I lauched an amphibious invasion of Egypt with crack units and lots of good ships. I managed to take over the Nile river but there navy just pounded any reenforcements.

7. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

Of course, Although I like to think that the stratigic situation of the Selcuids also has a lot to do with the Egyptions sprawling over that map corner. (although if the selucuids are played properly, they'll kill off those chariots easily.)

8. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

To solve Briton's money woes just use the cheat.

9. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

IF you want to cheat :p

I only ever use ~Toggle_fow, just to check out the other factions (in fact i havn't looked up the other cheats yet).

I presume you can type in any number btw?

10. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

In unpatched RTW, the max amount you can add is 20000 dinarii.

I'm not for cheats, takes the fun out of the game. Although occasionally I'd transport that huge army led by <character name> to the far edges of the world, away from my army :p

It's oddly amusing to see Vindex or Cynfawr strolling in the deserts of North Africa :lol:

11. Tank_Guy#3

I tried playing the Gauls and Germans against one another, they signed a peace treaty, then formed an alliance and attacked me.

Warbands aren't very affective, they just die a lot.

The tactic I found most effective was loading my army half full with ranged units and having the best infantry I can get hold the line, all the while my ranged units are massacring them at a distance.

12. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

With the Illyrians I found that Warbands could be effectively used to circle round the enemy or take on whatever the Greeks have on the flank. They can often have heavy casualties but they fulfill their purpose.

13. Tank_Guy#3

My tactics with the Illyrians is somewhat opposite from that which I use with other factions. Because they are so heavily dependent on skirmishers, I tend to use them much more than I ever would with another faction. Also, I try to hire as many Bastarnae and Thracian mercenaries as my income allows, that is the main melee infantry unit that I use. I tend to shy away from warbands for the reason you stated, they die far too easily, and in most cases I find its better to train new ones and sacrifice your cities populations than to retrain them.

Again there are exceptions, such as when I'm assaulting Gaul and I need reinforcements NOW, not in 4 turns.

14. Dong2Long

Dong2Long Chieftain

Britain is pretty much one-dimensional. Contrast that to a Roman or even German (early game) faction. You know what you are going to face, and know the tactics to make short work of them. Britain sinks fast, when I play the Germans in particular. :D

15. RickFGS

RickFGS Deity

Britain, Germany, Gauls, Spanish? whats that? pure butter for med factions... An militia phalanx from the early game can kill of half an army of the best barbarian troops.

16. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

hey look at me for example

17. Macha

Macha King

I find that in RTW they lose their continental lands first to the Gauls and then the Julii but noone ever bothers to invade the smalll islands unless it's me. And i usually play as the scipii so i go in a completely different direction

18. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

I often see them building an empire, which contains conquering Germania, Northern Gaul and Dacia. And then Macedonia. :eek:

19. Nuka-sama

Nuka-sama See ya! It has been a fun decade!

Britain usually gets owned in my games

20. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

I find that Selecuids are underestimated and the Britons over estimated when I play Rome.

The Selecuids have huge amounts of money, yet they get beaten by the egyptians nearly every time I play as another faction.