The Amazing Teleporting City

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Buecephalus, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Buecephalus

Buecephalus Bolo Mark XXV

First off, this isn't a rant. I LOVE this game. It's just an amusing cheat the AI pulled on me last night. I was early in the game, already had swordsman and the Aztecs declared war on me. They had only two cities. So I send over several swordsman (I'm playing as Americans) and conquer both cities. As I'm approaching the 2nd one, it produces a settler and spearmen who promptly head for the hills. I kill both and expect to see the "You've crushed the fledgling Aztecs." box. Nothing...huh? So I scan the map and DAMMIT there's suddenly another Aztec city 40 squares away on the other side of the French from me. What? So I think, hey maybe I just missed the city, it could happen. So I reload to the turn before, no city, nothing. I conquer the 2nd city and kill the settler and BAM! There's the city again. In the long run it helped 'cause I had to declare war on the French in order to get through their territory to kill the last of the Aztecs and I ended up wiping out the French as well giving me a large continent (and a buttload of resources) to myself.

"do or do not, there is no try."

2. lwchen

lwchen Chieftain

The AI also pulls the 'warping' settler magical act when you give them your World Map. If you have a nice little plot of land earmarked for settlement, don't hand out any maps. Chances are the AI will beam down a settler and a spearman right before you can plant your city.

3. narmox

narmox Emperor

if a civ gets killed (by the human or another ai player) early, it gets respawned somewhere farther. It was thus in civ2, and in civ1. It's nothing new...

As for the map thing, indeed... If you exchange maps, he'll send settlers there as soon as he can. Which means they start marching towards that area immediately, since the AI always keeps settlers around. There's no cheat there...

4. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

Ok, so- does anyone have any idea how early on this game behavior might be? In other words, after about when maybe can we expect an exterminated civ NOT to respawn? IF this turns out to be reasonably predictable or consistent, well it suggests this course of action: before that date, kill the civ down to 1 city and demand tribute (basically everything they have and will have anytime soon) and then later AFTER this date, waste them. Getting rid of a competitor before they have bult up a mighty army is obviously preferable to the much more difficult task of taking them out after they are stronger. This is ESPECIALLY true of a militaristic civ. For you peace mongers out there, this is a way to make the world safe for democracy- early on ... but not TOO early.

Anybody got any ideas on this?

YOU --> [plasma] :skull: <-- your enemy