1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Americas: is geography reasserting itself?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Drewcifer, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Agent of Karma

Since the begining of the revolutionary era the various regions of the western hemisphere have seemingly moved in different directions. The United States especially. It liked to see itself as apart from the rest of the Americas and was playing the European great power game at a time when Spanish America was still finding it's way after indepenence and Brasil was assuming the throne of the Portugese empire and then becoming something different under Dom Pedro II. Canada was with the United States in the great power game but in a different role as a part of the Commonwealth.

Are history, culture, geography and demographics slowly pulling the Americas closer together? All the American countries were born of the same colonial era and most have blended cultures and histories of immigration. The massive wave of immigration from the rest of the region is I think changing the way the US looks at it's place in the hemisphere. Increasingly Latin America and the Carribean are not seen as the "other" in the US but as a part of what it is too. At least it seems that way from where I am sitting. Is this true? And if so could it - coupled with integration in the rest of the hemisphere - lead to a new era in the region? I think the economic disparities obscure a lot of similarities. What will the Americas look like in 100 years?

2. pomsa

pomsa President of Civfanatica

Here in LA, the rest of the Americas have always been part of the US, how else could so many people come here without visas and passports.

3. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Well, is the current trend continues, ine 100 years the USA will probably look(ethnically speaking) more with Brazil then with England(OTOH, one could say that in 100 years England will look more like the US then with England!).

The Americas are(albeit very slowly) marching towards integration. Because of massive economical differences, this integration is happening much slower then in Europe. But the NAFTA proved that it's possible for a poor country to integrate itself with richer ones, and the FTAA will be a gigantic step.

However, unlike the EU, the FTAA doesn't have the intention of allowing free-movment of it's citizens. But I guess once the economical situation improves in Latin America, the US won't have to be too preocupied with waves of immigrants.

4. Michael York

Michael York On Sabatical from Civ

I actually see that as less likely than some sort of UK-US-Canada-Australia-NZ economic alliance. (with the Canadians granting independence to Quebec ;)) Some of the South American nations are a bit unstable. Same thing with some of the Caribean states. We also have a dramatic difference from the opulentence North of the Colorado River and those South of it but North of Colombia.

Edit: But we do have the old pre-Cold War tradition/policy of the Monroe Doctrine. We also have less language barriers than the Europeans.

5. Sims2789

Sims2789 Fool me once...

i think eventually my state will have a culture mixed between Mexican and American(US), especially the Southern part.

6. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Your main problem is that Latin Americans play football (soccer), while you play other strange sports

7. SeleucusNicator

SeleucusNicator Diadoch

Aha, but we also have Baseball in common with many latin american nations, particularly the ones that are comming here.

8. Constantine

Constantine at least it isnt the sens