The AND website

dbkblk

Emperor
The expansion pack Civilization IV: A New Dawn has a website

It features a clean, clear, efficient promotional website for players to discover this expansion pack. Tell your friends about it!

The themes are:
- Features: Major ones have 3-5 lines and minor ones have 2 lines, with a picture each chapter.
- Installation: How to install the mod the easy way.
- FAQ: Frequent questions for beginners or problems.
- Credits: Fully updated credits from the python file, the forum posts and the translations.

We hope you'll like it !

Q: Wait! I have one hour free and i don't know what to do !? Translate our website in your mother tongue !
A: That is easy to do, just read the short introduction to the game translation (LINK) and open the translation website (LINK). Once the status of the language is more than 75%, it will be published on the website.

Q: Nice website ! How it is built ?
A: Our website uses Jekyll as a backend to convert Markdown language into a static presentation website. This ensure it will always be light and fast. We use Transifex Live as a translation backend. The source code of the website is here and it's hosted on our sourceforge server.

Q: Is the expansion pack popular ?
A: Here's our Moddb popularity counter:

If you're satisfied with this mod, it would nice to write a small review on ModDB.

Thank you for playing :)

Thank you! All the pages are now completed.

I really like the layout and design, the website looks fantastic. There are a few minor translation issues I see, is there an easy way for project members to edit the site?

I really like the layout and design, the website looks fantastic.
I'm pleased that you like it.
There are a few minor translation issues I see, is there an easy way for project members to edit the site?
Of course, i am no native english speaker :)

The website uses Jekyll. That's an engine powered by Ruby, in which you write in Markdown (there are few variants), a really simple note language. I've used it because it generates static pages which are better handled by sourceforge.
Basically, Jekyll convert the files into static html, so if you want to produce the website, you need to install it. It is natively compatible with Github, but I wanted to hosted the website on the same server as svn and files.

The easiest is that you just edit the jekyll pages on github, then i'll rebuild it:
- Main page
- All other pages
Of course, 45° and you already have all the privileges granted to edit the website on github.

If you want to rebuild the website by yourself
On Linux, this is pretty straightforward. First, install jekyll dependencies: as root "apt-get install ruby-dev nodejs"; then "gem install jekyll bundler
Then:
- git clone https://github.com/dbkblk/and_website.git
- cd and_website
- To just rebuild the website, execute: bundler exec jekyll build
- To rebuild in realtime, execute: bundler exec jekyll serve (it will rebuild quickly after each modification so you can test in your browser).
- Then just upload the subfolder _site/ on the sourceforge FTP.

On Windows, you need to follow specific instructions here.

EDIT: Sorry. Typo error. It was "bundler" not "builder" in the last commands.

Thanks dbkblk, I am somewhat familiar with jekyll and will take a look this weekend!

OMGWTFBBQ. The transifex Live function is extremely powerful for translations !!! I've just put the javascript code, selected the sentence, then the translation is live on the website. This is just AMAZING.

OMGWTFBBQ. The transifex Live function is extremely powerful for translations !!! I've just put the javascript code, selected the sentence, then the translation is live on the website. This is just AMAZING.

That is really awesome. Maybe we could get some other members who are familiar with other languages to do additional translations. I'm afraid the only language I know is English.

You've already done enough, don't worry about that :) I have rewritten the first post so it can be pinned in the forum.

I rewrote this paragraph for you, feel free to change it so more if you like.

Based on the incredibely popular former Rise of Mankind mod, developped by Zappara, this extension puts Civilization IV even further. It contains a powerful new AI, charismatic new leaders, revolts and revolutions of the people, adaptative difficulty, advanced diplomacy, automatised defense tasks, and so much other enhancements… In short, that is nearly a whole new game.

Based on the incredibly popular former Rise of Mankind mod, A New Dawn transforms Civilization IV, transcending to new heights and satisfying us the players, much more comprehensively than CIV5 or CIVBE. It contains a powerful and vastly superior new AI, charismatic new leaders, a new revolt and revolutions system. The huge amounts of new content also include an advanced and reworked diplomacy system, a myriad of new automation options, an adaptive difficulty, and many many other enhancements… In short, this is THE civ game of the future. Its the work of 100's of talented individuals - over many years. The result truly does feel like A New Dawn!

Based on the incredibly popular former Rise of Mankind mod, A New Dawn transforms Civilization IV, transcending to new heights and satisfying us the players, much more comprehensively than CIV5 or CIVBE. It contains a powerful and vastly superior new AI, charismatic new leaders, a new revolt and revolutions system. The huge amounts of new content also include an advanced and reworked diplomacy system, a myriad of new automation options, an adaptive difficulty, and many many other enhancements… In short, this is THE civ game of the future. Its the work of 100's of talented individuals - over many years. The result truly does feel like A New Dawn!

Thank you for the rewrite. While i agree my english isn't perfect and this introduction might need a rewrite, i don't think we should criticize CIV5 or CIVBE. It's better to show those players that we have much stronger selling arguments. I'll wait for the team's point of view about the introduction.

Based on the incredibly popular former Rise of Mankind mod, A New Dawn transforms Civilization IV, transcending to new heights and satisfying us the players, much more comprehensively than CIV5 or CIVBE.

What about

Based on the incredibly popular former Rise of Mankind mod, A New Dawn transforms Civilization IV, transcending to new heights and giving the players the best Civilization experience of all time.

?

Are we bragging too much? [emoji13]

The rest looks ok to me. Thanks Sgtslick

Just had a chance to read through the whole site and even though everyone else has already said it:

Amazing work! Clean, easy to read, covers all the important points.

So let's go for:
Based on the incredibly popular former Rise of Mankind mod, A New Dawn transforms Civilization IV, transcending to new heights and giving the players the best Civilization experience of all time.
It contains a powerful and vastly superior new AI, charismatic new leaders and a new revolt and revolutions system. The huge amounts of new content also include an advanced and reworked diplomacy system, a myriad of new automation options, an adaptive difficulty, and many other enhancements… In short, this is THE Civilization game of the future. Its the work of hundreds' talented individuals - over many years. The result truly does feel like A New Dawn!

I've removed to abbreviations and added a missing "and" (between leaders and new revolts). Does amount take an "s" if "new content" doesn't have one ?

Just had a chance to read through the whole site and even though everyone else has already said it:
Amazing work! Clean, easy to read, covers all the important points.
Thank you :) and thank you again for the advertising on reddit!

Top Bottom