1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

: The Annals of 7 Kingdoms [take 2]

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Ogedei_the_Mad, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Ogedei_the_Mad

Ogedei_the_Mad Caffeinated Khagan

Updated. Look on first post for changes. :)

2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Really glad to see this project active again. And, perhaps, once there's a "Tempest of the Dragon" to play, other aspects of Jianghu will be revealed.

3. Ogedei_the_Mad

Speaking of which, would any of the moderators here mind changing the title to reflect the project's new name? :)

4. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Glad to see you back at it again, Ogedei! My offer to possibly create a "Princess Yuna" LH still stands, but I may be a while getting to it.

5. Ogedei_the_Mad

I may make some requests for some simple (yet still nonetheless unusual) units down the line. Still a bit early to say, of course. Once I'm near a working alpha, I'll make the requests.

6. Ogedei_the_Mad

Borrowing a page from the "Worldwide" mod, I'll also add "City Attributes". :) Current list is in the first post.

7. Ogedei_the_Mad

Updated the info. In the process of producing the buildings specific to this mod. :)

8. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

If you need any other city i might be able to help :)

9. Ogedei_the_Mad

WIP as always.

New details on first post. :)

10. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

Not sure I understand it clearly: how did you make sure that a city cannot build both the Mine Complex and the Magician's Garden ? If you found a way to do so, then it's a major achievement that would help a lot in bringing some new fun to the game!

11. Ogedei_the_Mad

It would operate the same way as the "Civ3 Worldwide" Mod. Give the specific buildings the "replaces all improvements with this flag checked"; that way only one or the other can be built in a given city.

12. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

But this is not a chain, is it ? Or can you link the last building to the first one in the chain ? I definitely have to take a look at Civ3 Worldwide...

13. Blue Monkey

Same question, different wording (?)

What prevents an endless loop of building one, then the other?

14. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

:eek: you took my question one step further! I second this rewording of my question :)

15. Ogedei_the_Mad

I haven't tested this myself in my own modding, but the idea came from the "Worldwide" mod as I mentioned. Here's how it goes:

Building A and Building B all have checked "replaces all buildings with this flag."

So if Building A -> Building A1 -> Building A2, then Building A1 requires Building A and Building A2 requires Building A1. All three buildings have the "replaces all buildings with this flag" checked.

Say if you want to build the Building B line. Building B has the same flag checked, thus any of the Building A line are replaced with Building B. Then Building B1 requires Building B and B2 requires B1.

Maybe you decide that the Building A line is strategically better. Then all of the Building B line structures get replaced and you have to go through the Building A upgrade sequence again.

16. Blue Monkey

This is the heart of the matter.

The player must consistently remember what replaces what or waste time building & rebuilding. Not impossible. But the longer the chain the easier it becomes to make a mistake by replacing something wanted. Using your example lines - if I want to build a gong fu academy I need to remember 6 possible improvements that will be negated. If the city has a mine complex it gets wiped, if it has an ethereal garden it gets wiped, and so on. Livable, but a steeper learning curve than with most scenarios.

And the AI handles the loop ... ?

17. Ogedei_the_Mad

No idea, actually. I don't recall if the AI went with it in the "Worldwide" mod.

18. Ogedei_the_Mad

Majority of the building graphics for the Empire, Jusin, and Izumo culture groups are done. Now I need to create stuff for the Island Countries and the Khanates.

The rest of it is pretty much collecting unit graphics, tech graphics, and doing the civlopedia.

19. Ogedei_the_Mad

Things have been slow in coming (as always), but I haven't actually stopped putting this together. A combination of real life issues, graduate school demands, and the fact that I accidentally deleted my then nearly-done Civlopedia (! :wallbash: !) has set me back quite a bit.

Anyway, I've been playing Civilization V: Gods and Kings (yes, even I turn to the Dark Side sometimes) to see what ideas could be incorporated and what has been missing. All in all, I could not help but feel that as entertaining Civ5 could be, it somehow felt disturbingly static even with the all the bells and whistles. The "Social Policies" feel like they were just tacked on at the last minute and it was bizarre that you can't change them; at least Civ4 allowed you to shift gears!

So that brings me back to this project - really attempt to make different factions unique and give a feel that you're actually managing a kingdom / empire / etc instead of a collection of Magic card decks, something that Civ5 attempted to do but pretty much failed.

Also continuously tinkering with Blender with surprising results. I'll try to get some new buildings done once I figure out how to texture and render properly (I am pretty much poking in the dark while stimulated by caffeine after all).

20. Blue Monkey

Really great to know this is still in the works!
    Might be able to help with some advice. By texturing do you mean uv mapping or using procedural textures?