: The Annals of 7 Kingdoms [take 2]

Ogedei_the_Mad

Caffeinated Khagan
TEMPEST OF THE DRAGON

...yep, still working on this. With the exception of the South Asian buildings, most of those buildings that I've been releasing lately were made not only to expand the building libraries of modders interested in making mods that include East Asian history or are set in East Asia but also to complete the long list of buildings I have for this mod in particular. :)

The mod will span 4 eras. The tech tree, resource lists, and building lists for the most part are complete. Wonders are still in the process of being planned out. Once I make enough building graphics and get units together, I'll start searching or requesting tech icons. I also found the perfect title screen opening and in-game music. :D

For those who don't already know, "The Annals of Seven Kingdoms" is an East Asian themed fantasy mod with inspiration drawn from wuxia (Chinese martial arts fiction), East Asian mythology and folklore, and the anime "Juuni Kokki" ("Record of 12 Kingdoms"). As the name suggests, there are seven playable factions. Each kingdom plays differently with the other and have their own particular strengths and weaknesses along with particular civ traits.

December 2 2011 EDIT:
The project has now been renamed "Tempest of the Dragon" and will be much less ambitious than the original project.

Playable Factions [for initial version of the mod; more will be added later]-
CELESTIAL EMPIRE
Ruler: Jade Emperor Xuanzong
Civilization Features: Expansionist and Scientific; Most powerful unit line; "Celestial Throne" government; capable of having 6 size 3 cities; Specialty is Heavens Magic
Weaknesses: Most expensive unit line
UUs: Celestial Warrior, Immortal, Righteous Guard
Unique Buildings: The Celestial Throne (builds magistrate in all cities), Crystal Palace (3rd palace), Alchemist (+25% Production bonus), Yuhorsehockyai (4th palace, builds Righteous Guard every 4 turns)
Size 3 Cities Cap: 6 (Palace, Reserved Capital, Crystal Palace, Yuhorsehockyai, Daming Palace, Qingmeng Palace)
Culture Group: Empire

THE NORTHERN KHANATES
Ruler: Khagan Ogedei "the Mad"
Civilization Features: Militaristic and Expansionist; Benefits the most from Horse resource; Unique buildings are cheap; Specialty is Earth Magic
Weaknesses: All units suffer a -1 Defense penalty; limited to 3 size 3 cities
UUs: Noyan, Khitan Shaman, Steppes Horseman
Unique Buildings: Ger (creates Steppes Horseman every 4 turns), Nadaam Field (small wonder; +1 happiness in all cities), Horse Trader (+50% trade)
Size 3 Cities Cap: 3 (Palace, Reserved Capital, White Tiger Monastery)
Culture Group: Steppes

EMPIRE OF IZUMO
Ruler: Tennou Atsuhira
Civilization Features: Militaristic and Religions; Benefits the most from Spring of Vitality resource; Specialty is Water Magic
Weaknesses: Lacking in artillery until era 3
UUs: Kensai, Onmyouji
Unique Buildings: Hot Springs Resort (+50% trade, +50% luxuries), Water Shrine (+1 happiness), River Dragon Shrine (enables size 3 city, +1 happiness, +25% production)
Size 3 Cities Cap: 4 (Palace, Reserved Capital, Imperial Villa, Grand Shrine)
Culture Group: Izumo

KINGDOM OF JUSIN
Ruler: Queen Seondeok
Civilization Features: Scientific and Agricultural; Has the most unique and versatile unit line; Specialty is Fire Magic
Weaknesses: Infantry unit line suffers a -1 Attack penalty
UUs: Hwarang, Geobukseon, Hwacha, Euibyeong
Unique Buildings: Hyanggyo (+50% research), Cheomseongdae (enables size 3 city, unique wonder, +50% production and doubles research in host city), Sindang (+1 happiness)
Size 3 Cities Cap: 4 (Palace, Reserved Capital, Cheomseongdae, Hwabaek)
Culture Group: Jusin

REALM OF PENGLAI
Ruler: Lady Disenchantment
Civilization Features: Scientific and Religious; Has the only unit line in which most units are produced through summoning (auto-production in buildings); specialty is Void Magic
Weaknesses: Best units obtained only through auto-production; weak regular units
UUs: Shifu, Master Alchemist, Fenghuang
Unique Buildings: Daoist Alchemist (small wonder, +50% research, trade, and luxuries, produces a Master Alchemist every 8 turns), Wudangshan (produces a Shifu every 8 turns), Longhushan (produces a Fenghuang every 16 turns)
Size 3 Cities Cap: 3 (Palace, Reserved Capital, Peach Blossom Spring)
Culture Group: Island Countries

NATION OF JUHO
Ruler: Beollim Chongmaeng
Civilization Features: Agricultural and Seafaring; Benefits the most from coastal or ocean tiles; can easily prevent amphibious assaults through unique naval line
Weaknesses: Can build only 1(!) Size 3 cities; weakest land unit line
UUs: Simbang, Te-u, Deokpanbae, Wrath of Mother Ocean
Unique Buildings: Dolhareubang (+1 happiness), Geouk (+1 happiness, increases resistance to propaganda), Pogu (+50% trade)

Non-Playable [for now]
SANZAN ALLIANCE
Ruler: Queen Yuna
Civilization Features: Commercial and Seafaring

HOKUBAN CONFEDERATION

YOUKAI

DAEHWA

CHEONGHAEJIN

EMPIRE OF DAI LA

KINGDOM OF NANZHAO

Concepts
MAGIC
Offensive "Spells" replace "missile" units; they are auto produced in cities from certain buildings and are used to bombard adversaries. Magic units also have very powerful bombard capabilities, but the worst defensive stats. The "Volcano" terrain feature is renamed "Sacred Mountain"; though they will randomly erupt, "Sacred Mountains" provide huge bonuses, unlike the relatively useless Volcano.

CULTURE GROUPS
There are 5 culture groups:
1) Empire [Chinese]
2) Jusin [Korean]
3) Izumo [Japanese]
4) Steppes [Central Asian]
5) Island Countries [Jeju Island]

CITY SIZE 3 LIMITS
Although population caps for city sizes have been adjusted, the number of size-3 cities are much more restricted and certain civilizations can grow more than others.

POPULATION HAPPINESS
Unlike regular Civ3, many more buildings cause unhappiness in "Tempest of the Dragon." Balancing growth will also require balancing stability. Administrative structures and Production structures can significantly increase population discontentment.

RESOURCES
To compensate for the limitations of Civ3's terraformation and terrain buildings, new bonus resources appear with new technologies. Some "resources" take the form of buildings; for example, when Administrative Reform is researched, "Double-crop Farms" resources with food bonuses appear randomly on the map. An extremely rare resource called the "Cloud Somersault Technique Scroll" may appear (with a high disappearance rate also) and allow any faction with access to it to recruit the Monkey King unit, which is the only buildable unit that can perform air missions.

XIA / KNIGHT ERRANTS
Factions can recruit "Xia" Knight Errants (basically martial arts masters who follow strict codes of honor). As the "Xia" follow honor or justice rather than authority or nationality (unlike the Celestial Empire's "Righteous Guard" or Jusin's "Euibyeong" who are steadfastly devoted to their country), any faction can recruit "Xia" of different cultural backgrounds if they manage to acquire access to them (in Civ3 terms, access to a particular "Xia" resource). In Civ3 terms, certain "Xia" have extremely high attack power or extremely high defensive power at the expense of the other stat to represent their extreme tendencies; also, "Xia" suffer a greater HP penalty to represent their not-so-absolute loyalty to authority and preference to abandon an unwise ruler who does not employ their talents properly.
[in the working Alpha of the mod, only the Ronin and Youxia are available; later, each faction will have its own type of Knight Errant unit including Black Masks and Yakuza]

Culture-specific Xia:
EMPIRE: Black Mask
JUSIN: Arahan
IZUMO: Yakuza
KHANATES: Steppes Mercenary
ISLAND COUNTRIES: Immortal

CITY DEVELOPMENT
Drawing quite a bit of inspiration from the Worldwide mod, cities are more specialized depending on what direction you take it. There are Four "attributes" that a city can take:

Production: Mine Complex (gives huge boost to production, but at cost to culture and happiness; moderate maintenance)
Magic: Magicians' Garden (boosts research and auto-produces a Magician every 8 turns; high maintenance)
Martial Arts: Gongfu Academy (increases city defense significantly and auto-produces a Gongfu Adept every 8 turns; moderate maintenance)
Administration: Summer Palace (reduces corruption, provides a light boost to production, +50% tax; very high maintenance)

These buildings will automatically replace the other so that cities can't take all four attributes at once. Also, there's an "upgrade" chain for each so that the next building requires and replaces the previous.

Mine Complex -> Manufactory -> Manufacturing District
Magicians' Garden -> Hermitage -> Ethereal Garden
Gongfu Drill Field -> Gongfu Academy -> Society of the Hidden Masters
Summer Palace

City size caps are boosted by 2 population (so city size 1 goes up to 8 from 6, etc.), but on the other hand, each civilization can build a limited number of Size-3 cities. Additional small wonders acquired through Civ-unique Techs grants additional Size-3 Cities. From the start, only the city with a Palace or Reserved Capital can allow a city to go to Size 3.

BUILDINGS AND WONDERS
*This is a listing of buildings and wonders.

Era 1: The Mandate of Heaven
Ancestral Shrine
Temple
Granary
Water Supply
Harbor
Marketplace
Artisans' Workshop
Labor Camp
Silk Weaver
Quarry
Lumber Mill
Magistrate
Execution Site
Gardens
Library
Barracks
City Walls
Ger

Era 2: Ascension
Monastery
Pagoda
Shipyard
Luxuries Market
Trade Guild
Inn
Rice Dealer
Mill
Lacquerware Maker
Smelter
Porcelain Workshop
Imperial Artisans' Office
Prison Camp
Tavern
Academy
Citadel
Coastal Fortress
Mystic Gardens

Era 3: Reign of Majesty
Seer
Trade Port
Factory
Porcelain Factory
Imperial Edict Stele
City Guard
Theatre
Winemaker Shop
Bath House
Licensed District
Printer's Shop
Divine Wind
Magic Academy

Era 4: Reign of the Sage Kings
Airship Port
University
Foundry
Sacred Grove
Conflux
Master Alchemist's Workshop

UNITS
*This is a listing of units for each faction as well as special units that are spawned by buildings or require a certain resource.

Shared Special Units
*These units can be built by any faction or are automatically spawned by a wonder. They require no resources.

Militia - (1/1/1), basic infantry unit, upgrades to City Guardsman, draft unit [kinboat's Chin Swordsman unit]
City Guardsman - (2/3/1), a step up from Militia, upgrades to Volunteer, draft unit [Sword of Geddon's Chinese Wall Guard unit]
Volunteer - (5/6/1), the third in the militia line, draft unit
Bandit - (3/1/1; hidden nationality), uprades to Mercenary
Mercenary - (5/1/1; hidden nationality), upgrades to Knight Errant
Knight Errant - (7/2/1; hidden nationality) [utahjazz's Shaolin Monk unit]
Warrior Monk - (6/6/1), Auto-produced every 6 turns by a Sacred Mountain wonder [Firaxis' Yamabushi unit]
Terracotta Guardian - (2/4/1), Auto-produced every 6 turns by Terracotta Army small wonder
Peng - (0/0/2; scout unit)
Auzure Dragon of the East - (18/8/1; all terrain as roads; 1-tile bombard; ZOC; +1 HP), Auto-produced every 18 turns by the Altar of the Eastern Sky
White Tiger of the West - (14/6/3; no forest or jungle move penalty; ZOC; +1 HP), Auto-produced every 16 turns by the Altar of the Western Sky
Black Turtle of the North (13/10/3; naval unit; 4-tile lethal bombard; +1 HP), Auto-produced every 16 turns by the Altar of the Northern Sky
Vermillion Bird of the South (12/6/4; 2-tile lethal bombard; detect invisble; ZOC; stealth attack against all units; +1 HP); Auto-produced every 16 turns by the Altar of the Southern Sky

CIV CONCEPTS

Culture Groups
There are several culture groups in the "Annals of Seven Kingdoms":
1. Celestial Empire - Celestial Empire, Kingdom of Wu, Kingdom of Jin, Empire of Great Qing
2. Shillan - Kingdom of Shilla, Dongyi Confederacy
3. Izumo - Empire of Izumo, Nansei Federation
4. Nomad - Khanate of Kazan, Khanate of Khitai
5. Yue - Kingdom of Yue, Nanman Confederacy

Magic
As this is a fantasy mod, magic is a major part of the mod. Since the Civ3 engine does not allow for magic in the same manner as fantasy TBS games, it is much more indirect in actual gameplay. Magic is represented in the following ways:
1. Resources: Various "enchantments" require access to "Elemental Forces" - Earth, Air, Wind, Fire, and Cosmos. Magic in this case follows the Buddhist and Japanese conceptions of the basic elements rather than the traditional Chinese five elements of Water, Wood, Earth, Fire, and Metal. Along with "Elemental Forces" is the "Magic Peach" resource; the "Magic Peach" is necessary for beneficial structures and certain wonders.
2. Enchantments: Certain city improvements and wonders serve to represent "enchantments." "Enchantments" function in the same manner as buildings, but require rare magical resources.
3. Bombardment Spells: Some units represent one-shot "spells" that are used to bombard in the same manner as ICBMs or Cruise Missiles. These units are auto-produced by "Enchantment" structures.

Specialized Economies
"The Annals of Seven Kingdoms" will feature a large variety of resources considered either "strategic" or "luxury" goods. Some "strategic" resources can indirectly serve as "luxury" goods as they may be required for special happiness-generating buildings that serve to represent the production and consumption of finished goods. Also, some economic buildings require certain resource to be within the city's radius. This allows for specialization of some cities; cities with direct access to certain resources may be more productive.
1. Economic Buildings: Mint, Money Printer
2. Production Buildings: Smelter, Quarry, Lumber Mill
3. Finished Goods Buildings: Porcelain Workshop, Porcelain Factory, Silk Weaver, Lacquerware Maker, Winemaker

Oppressive or Benevolent?
Certain city improvements can add a significant boon to production or reduce corruption and war weariness for low maintenance costs. The downside of these however are a decrease in the happiness of your citizens. You can choose to be an oppressive monarch to maintain a productive and well-ordered empire, you can choose to be a benevolent monarch and build improvements to better the happiness of your people at the expense of your treasury, or you can be a little of both.

Differentiated Unit Lines
While some factions may share similar units (and minor factions are mostly generic), factions are a bit different from one another in their military capabilities. The Celestial Empire, for example, can get a Golden Age ONLY from the Celestial Warrior while the Kingdom of Jin has two units that can trigger a Golden Age - the Dwarven Halberdier and the Geomancer. The differences between factions are not extreme, but factions may have their own particular specialties.

Ahh, excellent... BTW, I'll see about doing your sacred grove tomorrow. (and 七国志 is said "Nana Goku Shi" :p )

...or "Chil Guk Gi" in Korean. :p

Will you have the "Sacred Grove" in Bryce grass or Civ grass? I don't mind the angle, but most of my buildings will use standard Civ grass (as I'm too lazy to make some buildings and will use standard Civ ones as stand-ins ;) ).

Anyways, I hope you don't mind me using your Yuffie leaderhead as the leader for the Nansei. Do you know any female Okinawan / Ryukyuan names by chance? :)

:banana: Woo Hoo Xia! :banana: Woo Hoo Xia! :banana:
Once I make enough building graphics and get units together, I'll start searching or requesting tech icons.
I'd love to have a crack at whatever list you come up with.

Well, to answer your first question, I'm using my standard Bryce grass, but if you have a texture that resembles the Civ Grass, I'll be happy to make a Civ Grass version for the Pedia Icons (I'll be making a wonder splash as well, and that will use my standard bryce grass in any case).

As for Okinawan names.... Well, Yuffie is actually one... I'll have to do a bit of digging for that, though (IIRC, Yuna is another Female name from Okinawa)

Here's the standard civ-grass. I don't recall whose it is. :blush:

Attachments

• buildingIconLRG.bmp
    17.1 KB · Views: 275
Thanks.... BTW, here's some quick 'n' Dirty previews of the Large Pedia Icon (the Wonder splash will, obviously, have more trees in it):

Looks good although the grass in the second one is a bit too bright. :) The tori look a tilted. Is that intentional or is it just the camera angle?

Well, I'm using the variety of Torii that have the two supports angled slightly towards the center, although I could change them to Torii with vertical columns, if you'd rather.... I'll also see about reducing the diffusion on the grass in the other one (I'm having a bit of a trouble getting the texture to perfectly match the actual Civ III grass texture, even though I AM using the actual civ III gras texture :lol:)

The new preview pic looks better. :goodjob: If you're unable to do anything about the grass texture, then it's no problem. :) The sky and sun positioning might factor into the brightness.

Actually, I've managed to fix a few things... I realized why the Torii Looked tilted: The default settings for the camera's Field of View (FOV) is 60 degrees, which is about what one would expect for a Fisheye camera, hence the curvature towards the edges... I switched to the secondary camera (from the director's view, which I'll be using for rendering the wonder splash), and used settings almost identical to Wyrm's unit setup camera (except that I did not have the camera locked onto the center of the ground, since I had to adjust it so that the building fit into the frame, rather than being perfectly centered, such as a unit is required to be).... That fixed the problem! The Trees and Torii no longer look slanted, and the pic is much clearer. I'll post previews tonight.

Here's a pic of the (hopefully) final large pedia Icon preview, with the fixed camera setup:

OK, I'll see about working on it then... I'm going to wait until Dec 1 to release it, though, so I can enter it into next month's graphics competition... (that, and I want to get my FF crusader up and running, first).

BTW, maybe my FF crusader might be useful somewhere (after all, he does have a kind of Asian look to him)?

If he were re-colored all terracotta-ish, I'd use it as a Terracotta Guardian unit. :)

Top Bottom