The argument in favor of 2 units per tile (military)

All unit per tile restrictions suck.

Take it back to Civ II's style, unlimited unit stacking, whole stack dies if the primary defender does.

/Perfect.

I concur with the thought of having two units per hex. Most tactical hex wargames use or used this rule. One main point for this, is for helping with unit congestion, another is the ability to reinforce a battered unit. Some other important factors are the ability to strengthen a vulnerable portion of your line, or place a tough double stack in reserve. The options are endless. This idea would add flavor and fun to the combat aspect of the game. I also agree it would help the AI immensely.

I disagree with using unlimited stacking with a hex map, to me it would make no sense. What would make sense in respect to hex warfare, is unit facing. The direction a unit attacks or defends from, or gets attacked from, should be a big part of the tactical strategy. If a unit gets attacked from the rear or flank there should be a combat penalty against that unit. Of course with unit facing rules put in place, there would have to be rules put in place for retreat, and rules put in place with regards to zone of control. In the meantime 2 units per hex would be an important big step in making this game better.

Then up the difficutly a bit and run with more Civs:
I'm seeing the problem on prince level. NOTE: This is not my screenshot.

Wow I have never seen that many units on the map EVER EVER!!! How did you manage that! What is the cost? It must be absolutely huge!

Wow I have never seen that many units on the map EVER EVER!!! How did you manage that! What is the cost? It must be absolutely huge!

That was mine. It was way back in the release version of the game so probably no longer very relevant. The units were owned by the AI, not the player. The main problem in that game was that somehow I and the AIs managed to stay out of war. It was Deity late-game too.

I'm thinking a combination of increased unit maintenance (economy) with some kind of upper number of units command limit based on say population, military infrastructure, great generals etc. Going above your command limit reduces combat strength of all units in proportion to how far over you are

you can then make it cheaper to build units (thus making it easier to recover from initial loss of army) but still have a soft cap on the total number of units built

Top Bottom