1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Backstab Boys: Top civs to never trust?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ximixanga, Jul 31, 2013.

1. bison21

bison21 Warlord

Elizabeth. Peace will last exactly until that point you are no longer beneficial to her.

2. veljko

veljko Chieftain

Japan did it to me twice in a same game!

We shared ideology and had great trading, I proposed things they liked at World Congress and UN, I had my religion in all of their cities (he had at least 12 of them and no religion of his own), I forgave him stealing of tech, we had DoF with the same leaders, and I even had defensive pact with two strongest military nations (besides him and at his level) that were friends with both of us at the time when he declared second war to me! :)

3. Carmack

Carmack Chieftain

All of them. Seriously, the AI in this game has no commitment.

4. ledfranklin

ledfranklin Chieftain

Frenchie. He ruined my first game on emperor at the end of the medieval era. I had only been at war with shaka at that point, and still was for about the past 200 years. We had been friends, then all of a sudden I see 12 units on my border city and boom....DoW. It probably took 100 turns (on marathon) to finish me off. What a dick.

5. Qbone

Qbone Chieftain

In my first BNW game I had, she was my lost loyal ally, ironically enough.

Maybe it just was that we both hated Alex's guts.

6. sonicandfffan

sonicandfffan Warlord

If you see an army heading your way from a backstabber it can be a lifesaver to pay them to declare war on someone else to buy you some more time. If they're still acting friendly this can be especially helpful because they're more willing to do it.

7. njmfff

njmfff Prince

exactly. I found that Genghis either hates your guts or he's your friend till the end. (of course, if you don't do anything to damage your friendship). Same is with Attila, even if he DOWs you during the Ancient\Classical era. (if you just fought, and you haven't capture any of his cities, dow him or stole his territory).

Same goes for America. People tell that Washington is backstabber, but I never had that experience. He either hates me or he's my friend till the end of the game.

I mostly get betrayed by Monthy (altho, he can sometimes be loyal, depending on the game I guess), Babylon backstab 90% time in BWN (in GnK not that much), Japan most of the time, Elizabeth all the time (she's the funniest. "Would you be my friend? Yes? Next turn: it's on!")

Spain, Dido and Harun are terrific example of backstabbers. Harun is friendly until he gets his Camel Archers. :lol:

8. Teaf

Teaf Warlord

I rarely get backstabs, but the last 3 were: Arabia, France, Arabia

9. sonicandfffan

sonicandfffan Warlord

yeah Arabia, China and Indonesia for me.

And backstabs are common, it depends on how close to their borders you are but if they have nowhere else to go they are going to pick a fight even if they like you.

10. Sequm

Sequm Chieftain

Nobody even DoW'd me in the 2 Deity games I won. I was denounced by Alex (he was jelly) but nobody backstabbed me. I gotta start doing domination more.

11. Fatheredpuma81

Fatheredpuma81 Chieftain

Bro it's called pay him to war everyone else. Me and Alexander have been great friends in one of my games and I pay him to war everyone on his continent. Hint: Everytime he plans to backstab you pay him to war someone.

In most of my games if the Mongols are in it I haven't really seen them backstab much. That is if you somehow become friends with him.

12. DeletedSettler

DeletedSettler Chieftain

Isabella backstabs me in every single game I play with her in it.

13. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

EVERYONE backstabs if you are winning and lower than average on army. I don't think there is an exception. If they see weakness or see you as too powerful they want to take you down. If they see both it is like holding candy up in front of them--they can't resist. Humans play the same way with the AI. If you are middle of the road most of the game you might be able to avoid this.

Try any of these and you'll get DOW's even out of friends:

1. Good friends but ICSing rapidly? Almost all AI hate it, they'll DOW you, even backstab to stop you.
    2. Forward settle them? Especially right next to their capital? Repeatedly settle new cities on your border with them? War is only a matter of time friends or not.
    3. Wondermonger but keep a weak army? More likely to backstab if you get wonders they were prioritizing but ANY wonders, especially a lot in a row, and they may try it. Almost a matter of course if you keep a weak army.

Friendships are a matter of convenience. If you compete with them tangibly they don't like it. You can't ever count on a friendship giving you protection and had best keep up that army even if you have one neighbor bordering who is friends. Too many backstabs have taught me the AI has no qualms about striking despite how they appear. If they have nothing better to do you'll get a backstab. This is why it is important to keep your friend occupied. If it is you and them against enemies there is almost 0 chance they will attack you. Form and encourage cliques. If everyone is too nice pay warmongers to attack your friend then defend them. It's stupid, but the only surefire way I've found of creating lasting friendships. Those first offers mean squat until you have a common enemy. Then they ACTUALLY feel they need you. Even if you keep a weaker army they will hesitate to attack you if you are banded together against an outside threat--thinking the other AI will take advantage of the divide. They are paranoid and greedy--use it against them.

14. peddroelm

peddroelm King

that's why lately I've been playing exclusively honor domination games backstab ? (free DOW) - please send units ! :mwaha:

15. jlim201

jlim201 King

The most recent backstabber was William. Tiny army (last), behind on tech and completely good relations (no red). He just attacked me out of the blue. Not on random personaliries either).

16. B0lters

B0lters Chieftain

Denmark is the worst backstabber I've ever met, it doesn't matter how good the relations between our nations because as soon as he spots the slightests opportunity to steal something from you he'll do it.

17. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Any civ has the potential to back stab anyone regardless of apparent relations, you can see this when you try to bribe to friends to DOW. In many cases you will succeed, even if it takes all your stuff. The exception to this Dido as a neighbor as she will always back-stab a neighbor of hers.

18. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

The A.I.

19. EpsilonEridani

EpsilonEridani Chieftain

During my last game, Attila asked me for DOF (I accepted) and DOWed me on the next turn twice in the same game. His cities were well defended but worthless so I just repelled the attack, I did not want to invest ressources in such a war. On the third time he asked for DOF, I asked him to DOW his other neighbours (Oda and Shaka), it turned into a christmas party with Attila starring as the turkey. Surprisingly, Shaka who was also my neighbour was friendly with me during the entire game despite having an army 3 times bigger than mine (deity level)

20. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I think backstabbers will backstab when they see that you have done something wrong diplomatically that triggers the backstab. Some backstabs can be so severe that the whole world and most or all of the civilizations in the map can end up making a dow to you..