1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The "balance" is a joke

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by SonofHades, Oct 24, 2014.

1. SonofHades

SonofHades Chieftain

Dont get me wrong, i quite enjoyed my first few games and i really think CIV BE could be a greate game, but:

Tectonic anvil: Cost: 1550 Production: 9

Trade convoy + Trade depot/2: Cost: 90 Production: ~12 Food: ~6

This can just be a joke and everybody who watched even one let's play knew that this is completely unbalanced.

Half of the wonders in the game are totally useless and they wouldn't even be good if you would double their yield.
    And trade routes are so good that nothing else in the game really matters. if you would half their yield they would still be op.
    So i really have to asked: how can this be released in that state?

2. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

I tend to agree. The game is fun because I'm forcing it to be fun by refusing to use trade routes and basically playing like an idiot.

It's at least 6 months away from being a finished product. There's a lot to fix, and the tech web might need a complete overhaul for balance purposes because slingshotting is just a bit too easy.

I'm still playing it though, and having fun, kind of, so that bodes well for the future.

3. Dr. Doomlitte

Dr. Doomlitte Chieftain

While disappointing, I'm hardly surprised. When the release date was announced, my reaction was 'Already?' Very surprised at the speed of development on this title, and I'm sad to hear that the gameplay suffers for it. I won't really be able to dig in until Sunday night, so I'll be able to form my own opinions then.

4. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

I like Gene Vault and Ectogenesis Pod wonders ...

Then the rest are just lame.

5. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

My theory right now is that the devs, after removing all serious growth-focused health penalties for their new experiment, play-tested as though they had to stay in positive health anyway, and had no idea how easily new cities can be turned into route-spam-hammers.

6. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

I would recommend not abusing trade, maybe try it out with 1 route per city. My initial games have been more about learning the tech tree and stuff so I'm not too bothered. It is disappointing yes, and I agree - the game announcement was in May and October seemed very early for a release.

So yeah I kinda expected it. They'll fix the worst of it and it'll be a good game, of that I have no doubt, but yep it's not going to happen overnight.

7. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

The wonders are indeed extremely bad, and made worse due to trade caravans which are better in every way.

8. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Another few wonders that are good:

Bytegeist
    Deep Memory
    Promethan

Basically the food, growth and culture / free virtues ones.

9. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Works kind of great actually and makes the game feel so much better. Not only that, but it also brings the players OPness down by quite a bit. Will probably always have my Trade Route Mod active for now. Which is... really sad, because I like the "let's talk about our strategies!"-part of the game, but for now... neeh. It's just not fun the way it is.

10. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Though another incredible bad one is new Terran myth that has its own tech that gives NOTHING ELSE and all the wonder gives for 1000 hammer cost is four culture!

11. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

Does it unlock some quest maybe?

Although, that's one aspect of the game I don't like much. Many quests are effectively hidden features of buildings (with very unbalanced choices).

12. SonofHades

SonofHades Chieftain

i made a mod that tries to balance the trade a bit better. wonders are unchanged:

Only 1 trade route from trade depot.
    Yield of internal and international trade is reduced by ~33%.
    Station trade unchanged.

No extra trade route from autoplant quest.
    No alien immunity for trade route via ultrasonic fence.

Link:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13520363#post13520363

13. Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis Chieftain

They had to get the boxed version on shelves before Christmas . . .

14. Aedn

Aedn Chieftain

Its not just a balance issue, the game is basically like civ 5, in that it needs some serious balance work, and an expansion or two to really probably shine. From easy to get OP units, to poor AI, to problematic quest issues, lots of things need to be fixed. Hopefully they will start pumping out patches to address some of the easier to fix issues. However 1UPT still seems to be a big problem for AI.

15. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

And the AI doesn't seem to know what Miasma is.

16. Antilogic

Antilogic --

So the AIs randomly appeared over the course of the first 30 or so turns, I think missing out on the initial resource pod grab and research has really set them back.

Don't know if that is an option I left checked or what. But I was quite surprised to see all their ships land, one-by-one, on subsequent turns.

17. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

It's okay if the wonders are less cost-effective than other things. The "optimal" path becomes to build other things first, and then build wonders. But, you might build the wonders earlier if you think someone else will build them.

There are definitely some that are so weak, though, that you wouldn't really want to build them even if there was nothing else to build.

I would prefer if every wonder did something "unique". Adding local culture or local hammers is very dull. Even making it apply extra culture or hammers to all of your cities would be something worth thinking about.

I also think it is really bad to have techs that serve no other purpose than to unlock a wonder. Get rid of the tech altogether and just put the wonder on another tech!

18. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

To be fair, even humans seem to forget its adverse effects from time to time. ;)
    (I lost a worker in my second demo try).

19. JokerJace

JokerJace Prince

I only say 'Daedalus Ladder'... How could this 'wonder' make it to the game. :crazyeye: :crazyeye: :crazyeye: I agree with Dinadan. All wonder's should have at least one unique effect and not just add yields... But even then, some are ridiculously weak. A wonder that feels less impressive than an average building shouldn't be called that.
    The other thing that annoys me is how buggy the whole quest system is. I can hardly finish any quest that has multiple objectives. Either the goal is not displayed, there is no goal because the ruins (for example) don't exist or it is simply impossible to meet the conditions of the objective. I.e. build a building in a city that can not build this building under any circumstances... Very, very disappointing. It's one of the new big systems and it isn't working AT ALL... :-(

20. 2000AD

2000AD Chieftain

I got that too, had to build a building that needed an improved sea resource ina city that had none nearby. Hoping my weather contorller can help me finish this quest I've had from the early game.