1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Barbarians are outrageous

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Kudos, Oct 29, 2005.

1. general_kill

general_kill Deity

yea i actually have some trouble with barbs in emperor. They come in swarms overwhelming my border cities at time. I've actually conceded a city to them once because they came at me with axemen while I had to settle with archers due to my resource limitation.

2. chrissicom

chrissicom Chieftain

Yes but when I do that my leader title is always the name of my computer in capital letters :(

3. thedaian

thedaian Chieftain

That's probably because that's the default setting anyway. I wish there was a way to change it, and set a new default name. Otherwise, ALT+D will let you change your name.

4. Sirian

Sirian Designer, Mohawk Games

You can change your default name. Open your config file (a link to it can be found in your root Civ4 folder). Scan through the options. Change the ones that have to do with your leader name.

- Sirian

5. evil_linus

evil_linus Chieftain

I think the new barbs are great. Love that they put up small nations. I play on noble and it works just fine. They've killed one of my settlers ones but that's just because I didn't guard it good enough. Shame on me! :)

6. brokguitar

brokguitar Chieftain

I started as the incas on noble . My first settler was by floodplains, with much joy i settled and started my first build as a warrior and sent my starting warrior as recon. The city is producing mad food so i knew i could pump out settlers and workers like crazy once i irrigate the flood plains. I recon the south first, within 7 squares ... stone!!! great i can send a settler ther right away and start on wonders faster. Time kicks in i recon around and to the north i find marble 7 squares north!!! By that time i setled on the stone and was starting stonehendge after i produced a warrior to defend. everything is looking good, i settled the marble and two other cities with all the irragated floodplains in the capital. Every city had 1 warrior(incas get a UU warrior) defending it. All of a sudden the barbs start rolling in. AXEMEN!!! They had axemen and all i can do is crap my pants with my warrior defenders. I was set up to have every wonder i can think of, but the barbs had other plans for me. Long story short they cut right through me and had taken my capitol, my workers,and another city. I was crushed with no way to fight back. Do not underestimate the barbs!!! salute to barbarian AI!

7. TerraHero

TerraHero Terranigma Guru

Civ4 rule golden rule on barbarians.

Do not underestimate them!

Seriously. They are mini civs that advance themselves and heck even build them selfs a little civ. Also this means they get themselves an advanced militairy. So dont mess with them and get rid of them asap. I have so far managed to *****-slap all barbarians and sometimes even find them usefull as they get a city on a location i want, all i'd have to do is that that city. But thats easier said then done.

8. Kazper

Kazper Chieftain

I love the new tough barbarians - but it really varies how much I see them.

First game I played I had them on raging, and while there was decent amounts of them, they never came in waves, until I had archers and axemen enough myself to handle anything. Great Exp :D

Second game on the other hand with barbs only at normal - barely get my third city down, and barely start getting a few archers - and the barbs are there in wave after wave with axemen. I managed to hold them off but at costs so great I had to abandon that game :D

But overall it's a wonderful new thing that barbs are a true power to be reconed with :)

9. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Terra is probably the best map type if you want to enjoy the new Barbarians without any chance of getting screwed over by them. They'll never have room to do anything in the Old World, but they WILL be a force to reckon with in the New World.

10. Kazper

Kazper Chieftain

Oh no it's not :D

My second game which I had to abandon due to rampaging barbarians was on a terra map ;) They most certainly still swarm you in the old world =)

11. Olleus

Olleus Deity

I dont have the game but can barbarians discover techs?
    If so then whats the real difference between them and other civs?

12. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

I suppose it depends on map size, number of civs in the Old World, etc. The game I played, the Barbs never managed to build up much of anything. Of course, I still tend toward expanding as quickly as is safely possible - not to spam up cities, but to get the best choice of resources for the handful of cities I WILL found.

Or it could just be a RNG thing.