The Battle for Wesnoth: Liberty (AAR featuring IOT members)

Angst

Rambling and inconsistent

L I B E R T Y

Welcome!
I decided to do this yesterday – I’m going to do a playthrough of a Battle for Wesnoth campaign, and you’re going to be a part of it!

The way this works is that I’m going to make an AAR of the Liberty campaign, but I’ll name the units after you guys and will govern your units according to any personalities you might want to give them.

How do I play?
You just have to join, then I’ll do the rest! You can’t join at any time; you can only join at the beginning of a scenario (The campaign has a total of 8 scenarios). But then I’ll take care of the rest.

You don’t have to worry about figuring out when you can and cannot join. When you’re able to join, I’ll simply notify you in the update. Then you fill out the following template:

Unit name: The name you want your unit to have.
Unit type: The unit type you want to play. This is limited to the ingame unit types and sometimes there is a cap of how many new units you can be. The available unit types are listed in the update when you can join.
Unit personality: You can give your unit any sort of personality, and I’ll try to roleplay as closely as possible.

And then we go!

What if I die?
If you die (which a lot of you will), you can join as a new unit during the beginning of the next scenario. You have to name it something else though. Also, I’m not doing any reloads – if we lose, we lose, the campaign is unsuccesful, destroying the Wesnothian time continuum. Fun stuff.

Last edited:
Chapter 1: The story so far…

The hardy people of these marches learned self-reliance and survival skills against the raiding orc hordes and savage saurians. They established their own trading routes and pacts of mutual defense.

Although not permitted to train with proper military weapons, these woodsmen were at home in the forests and swamps of the Western marches, and became very effective with their simple slings and clubs.

After the betrayal of the King by Queen Asheviere, the new regent of Wesnoth sought to consolidate her ill-gotten power. She sent her armies across Wesnoth to intimidate the provincial rulers and secure her continued reign.

The people of Annuvin were unwilling to relinquish their hard-earned self-rule, especially not to this pretender…

Spoiler The strategy map... :

YOU MAY NOW JOIN!
All unit models in the first scenario are male. Peasant Youths with the female model can probably get hired from Scenario 2 onwards.
Players can choose to be one of the following units:

Peasant Youth (Max 3 players)

Level 1 unit. Skirmisher unit. (There are no female Peasant Youths in scenario 1. We'll probably be able to hire some in scenario 2!)
The scruffy-haired peasant youth are much like the young people living elsewhere in Wesnoth: reckless, cocky, and eager to explore.
Attacks: Club and sling. Below average ranged attack and melee.
Defenses: Below average hp, great evasion, poor magic resistances.

Peasant Hunter (Max 2 players)

Level 1 unit. Skirmisher unit.
Villages, especially in wilder areas near frontiers, rely on hunters to bring in much of their food supply. Their stealth and intimate knowledge of local terrain can be valuable assets in combat.
Attacks: Dagger and bow. Decent ranged attack but poor in melee.
Defenses: Average hp, average evasion, neutral magic resistances.

Villager (Max 1 player)

Level 1 unit. Heavy fighter unit.
Peasants live in the small hamlets and villages scattered across the Wesnoth countryside.
Attacks: Club. Great melee atack.
Defenses: Average hp, average evasion, neutral magic resistances.

Village Elder (Max 2 players)

Upgraded from Villager
Level 2 unit. Heavy fighter unit.
Elders of small villages seldom have time to rest. There’s always a new beast threatening their homes.
Attacks: Club. Greater power than Villager.
Defenses: Very sturdy hp, neutral evasion and magic resistances as with Villager.

Last edited:
I'll be a peasant hunter :)

Villager please.

I'm going to start playing the campaign in about 18 hours!

If you want to have a personality, let me know of it.

Peasant cat youth works for me!

Ill also want to be Peasant youth (with a slow personality)

So like a guy who isn't very smart, or a guy who's physically slower than the rest?
EDIT: I'll guess he's slow-witted because then I can start the game now :)

Whatever's left over.

You got the last Peasant Youth!
Just found out there are no more units left this scenario. You're in queue after Omega124!

sign me up for later

You're in queue. :) I consider Megs to be in front of you in the queue, but I think we can buy unlimited units from next scenario on.
EDT: Found out Tolni had no free unit - he's in queue before you due to asking to join first ^^

Last edited:
The Raid (Part 1-1)
_____________________________​

Player roster

Ailedhoo: Village Elder (Level 2)
Decamper: Villager (Level 1)
Everblack: Peasant Youth (Level 1) – Slow personality
JamesCaesar: Peasant Youth (Level 1)
KaiserElectric: Peasant Youth (Level 1)
Nuka-sama: Peasant Hunter (Level 1)
Reus: Peasant Hunter (Level 1)
SouthernKing: Village Elder (Level 2)

Join queue
Omega124
Tolni
Double A

Fal Khag
I long to burn human cities, but until our great chieftains provide us with sufficient forces we must look to these villagers to feed our wolves and slake the thirst of our blades.
Ride, you worms. I want to finish our raid before the hunting party returns to the human village.

JamesCaesar
Look, goblin riders approach! You were right, they were going to raid Dallben while we were gone.

Baldras
We must stop them before they reach the village. Damn the crown, they have long since forgotten about us here.

Harper
That goblin leader is heading full-speed straight for Dallben. But we’ll need to chase them all down if we’re going to stop them.

Baldras
Do it. Try to hold them back until us old-timers can get there and finish them off.
And Harper… don’t get yourself killed. I’m responsible for you now that your father is gone, and I won’t dishonor his memory by breaking my promise to keep you safe.

Harper
… I know… All right now, let’s stop these goblins!

The villagers congregate in the southwest. There’s a nearby path that leads northwards – to Dallben, their home. It’s all they have, it must be protected at all costs.

To the east, the goblin raiders are charging forward. While fewer in number, they boast elite raiders with torches and nets. Additionally, what the goblins lack in number, they make up for it in speed. The villagers must move fast, and with little possibility to position themselves safely – we are probably going to see a few die in battle.

On the way to Dallben, there are a few hamlets. These also have villagers in them, hopefully they can be saved and directed northwards with the band.

And so it begins.

Baldras
JamesCaesar. Listen to me.

JamesCaesar
Go on, sir.

Baldras
The goblin riders are fast. We don’t know which direction they are going. We need to both move eastwards to catch them, and move northwards in case they plan on crossing the river. So I’m giving you the torch to lead us northwards. Take some fighters and an archer with you. I’ll go east.

JamesCaesar
But what if we get caught?

Baldras
... You have to move, now. We have to defend our village.

JamesCaesar
I understand.

The villagers scuttle east- and northwards, following the path towards the tree line. JamesCaesar moves in front of them, crossing the river to cover ground there.

However the charge eastwards seems immediately futile. The goblins utilize their superior speed and moves northwards, crossing the river. As the villagers try to keep up, nightfall comes.

Exhausted from pushing themselves when they should sleep, the villagers nevertheless manage to move further north than the goblins. JamesCaesar has covered the most ground, preparing an ambush from the forests to the north. As the rest of the crew crosses the bridge, there’s not enough space on it. KaiserElectric decides to cross the river instead, immediately regretting it as his boots are filled with swamp water.

Last edited:
Top Bottom