The Battle for Wesnoth: Liberty (AAR featuring IOT members)

The Raid (Part 1-2)
_____________________________​

Still, the speed of wolves is no joke. They move through the shallows with ease. JamesCaesar sees the riders climbing the hills, his face in a grim resolve. With some reluctance, he crosses the field and positions himself on the hill just near the wolves. It’s the only way to keep them from burning down the village. Out of breath, he hides in a field of boulders, sling ready, waiting for the goblins to pass by.

Everblack, having just investigated an empty hamlet, realizes that the wolves aren’t going to enter the houses on the way to the village. Seeing the rest of the band charge, he absent-mindedly follows them in the general direction. Only upon arriving at the clearing, Everblack realizes he’s made a huge mistake.

JamesCaesar
(Wow, I never knew Everblack was so brave. He is in the perfect spot to flank the goblins.)

Everblack
(*Internal screaming*)

The rest of the villagers, fatigued from the charge, try to catch up with the two warriors. Especially the village elders and clubmen have problems keeping up out of sheer exhaustion. At least, KaiserElectric finally made it out of the river. Covered in swamp water and leeches, he sprints through the trees, sling ready to fire.

As the next four hours pass, the wolf riders finally slow down. They have caught scent of something in the hills, licking their lips. Their riders direct them in between the numerous boulders. Who's hiding among the stones? Their leader finally holds up his hand, noticing a nearby shuffling.

Fal Khag
Hm. Something is wrong. But it should be easy to sniff out.
... There.

A goblin whips his mount, charging towards a nearby boulder. JamesCaesar jumps out with a cry, hurling a pebble straight into the wolf's face. However, the attack is simply not enough to stop a trained wolf rider, and the mount tackles JamesCaesar, biting off a chunk of his leg.

The howls echo over the hills as JamesCaesar desperately runs between the hills’ boulders. Wolf mounts are nowhere near as fast as horses, but they make up for it in versatility. Hide in a crag, and they climb up onto the sides, catching you in a death trap. JamesCaesar remains on the move, running around another boulder. As he turns another corner, two wolves await him, their riders gleeful from the imminent fight. JamesCaesar throws another rock at a rider, but the next rider passes by him, smacking a torch into the back of his head. Woozy and bleeding, JamesCaesar runs down the hill, hoping to reach Everblack. But still another rider blocks his path, clubbing him into his stomach. As JamesCaesar spits out blood, his vision begins to blur. He isn’t dead yet. But he stopped four of the wolves, they aren’t at the village now…

Wait, four of the wolves? Weren’t there five?

To the north, he sees the goblin leader, casually riding towards the defenseless village.

JamesCaesar
I have failed you all.

And away from JamesCaesar, Baldras is directing the rest of the band towards JamesCaesar. Perhaps there is a chance for JamesCaesar after all, but they remain unaware of the leader riding freely northwards.

_____________________________​

I probably screwed up moving eastwards the first turn. xD We're probably going to lose this scenario. I remembered it being punishing if you do the wrong thing, but not to this degree. If we lose, we lose - that's what I promised myself. But then I'll just start another campaign ;)

Last edited:
Since its the first mission, and I never seen this campaign, can we just restart?
Let's see how it goes first. If I recall correctly the scenario has a twist that might help us.

The loss is early enough to be fair game for a restart, I think. I'll probably do that if we lose.

In a relative note: one day we should do a multilayer session on this game.

Calling dibs on the undead... :assimilate:

Oh we should. A little sad you shotgunned the undead but I just want to not be orcs or drakes :D

Oo exciting. A four way 2v2v2v2? Or larger?

I'll ask for a Discord channel tonight!

Yes: IOT gaming will need a Wesnoth group! :D

Death is the destiny of all!

Undeath is the breaker of destiny!

Top Bottom