1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The best and the worst AI's

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Lone Wolf, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ICanHasName?

ICanHasName? Warlord

Good: Ljosfar, Hippus, Clan of Embers, Balsaraphs, sometimes Calibim

Bad: Illians, Kurios, Infernals,

Sometimes Awful: Malakim --- probly due to desert starts and building forts on floodplains. It may be an FF thing but i have noticed the AI's like to explore with work boats. They send some of their workboats off to die instead of working fish tiles, causing them to never expand.

2. cabbagemeister

cabbagemeister Please wait...

They also fail to "promote" settlements to cities if their cities are lost. In my current game I have Cardith as a vassal with 5 settlements and no cities. I think he's not going to break free anytime soon :)

3. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

The AI used workboats to explore in Civ IV as well.... to the point that I started doing it too.... I was tired of the AI knowing more coastline than I did....

I have noticed workboats in FfH though that are sitting on workable tiles with the message "Build fishing boats (1)".... then the next turn, the boat sails away.... what's with that?

4. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

Play classic advanced start and you'll see decent Kuriotates. I've even seen Cardith creating Eurabatres. :eek:

Usually traits make the difference. Sheelba is a killer, Jonas Endain fails. Kandros Fir is strong, Arturus Thorne is weak. Same with Tasunke/Rhoanna.
    Decius is a fine AI leader for whoever he leads.

5. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

The beelines and XML coding has much influence too. The Bannor in my games started to perform better when I added Notque's code of beelining Code of Laws when having more then 4 cities, changed their beeline to Mining and massively increased all the weights of Education.

6. Azhral

Azhral Let's get Tactical!

Sidar always seem to do well in my games. Mainly because although their most powerful mechanic goes unused, they benefit from all the extra bonuses while just playing as the standard BTS AI. Also, Ghosts are strong. They throw away Rathus pretty constantly however.

7. First

First Chieftain

I rarely see the Khazad expand beyond one city in any of my games.

8. Lade

Lade Prince

I myself always notice the Doviello do terrible. Even when I'm playing as them, they still seem to start low and keep going downhill. But they're fun anyways

9. Rystic

Rystic Turtle Wizard

Because Erebus loves putting them on ice terrain.

10. Quetz

Quetz The Tallest Lilliputian

Weird that everyone says Bannor does poorly. Capria is almost the dominant AI player in almost all of my games, except those where his start is really bad.

11. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

I must admit, I tend to use a workboat or 2, or 3 in order to scout the nearby coast. Only if there is enough coast to be worthwhile scouting tho. The land masses would have to be connected by coast for me to bother, but high seas snaking continents or low seas archipelago seem to be maps where early scouting can mean a HUGE difference in planning and strategy.

12. Grakor456

Grakor456 Chieftain

This.

Flavor starts only work if the civ in question can actually put that terrain to decent use. :(

13. Lade

Lade Prince

Her

Bannor are kind of Hit-or-Miss. I've had them dominate, and other times they do poorly

14. ZHONN

ZHONN Chieftain

Consistently better ones, always forces to be reckoned with:

Balseraph
    Calabim
    Lanun
    Ljos under Amelanchier

The Bals always do very well. That is understandable though, they have a killer civ. The Calabim also are always one of the stronger civs, it looks like they beeline the right techs. I have seen the Lanun build coves, they just don't appear as coves to the human player. Both Lanun leaders can make very formidable empires with lots of cities, military and tech to boot. Ljos under Amelanchier seem to do better than the other two, I suppose he's just a bit more militaristic enough to make the difference.

Weaker ones, usually end up in the bottom rung:

Bannor
    Luchuirp
    Svartalfar
    Clan of Embers
    Doviello

Both the Clan and the Doviello can be bad neighbours at start but midgame they become a joke usually. I don't know what's wrong with the Bannor specifically but they never seem to do well. I don't really know why the Luchuirp usually end up dead, maybe they just should build more military? The svarts are usually too warlike for their own good. If they end up taking lots of barb cities they seem to do well but otherwise not. It looks like they never get up on their feet techwise and always fight worthless wars.

I typically play prince or monarch, no Erebus or Flavour starts.

15. zup

zup Emperor

Svartalfar need education. I have had tier 4 units before they built a single cottage.

16. Kornaki

Kornaki Warlord

Once two civs popped great people for golden ages on the same turn about 150 turns into the game (I assume they popped great people at any rate...) and the Illians hit them with stasis the next turn. Just for that I'd say they're a great AI to have around

17. zup

zup Emperor

Not really, I hate Illians, to a point that they will die. Auric has so far decimated two of my golden ages, the latter I got from rushing bone palace with a great engineer. The AI does not seem to get too much out of golden ages anyway.

18. Akulya

Akulya Chieftain

I find the Elohim (under Logos) are the most competent naval invaders, I've never seen Falamar unload a dozen QoL's full of Monks and Champs (- or his equivalent thereof) onto my continent; and go on a peacemongering rampage. To be honest, I don't find the Elohim a weak opponent at all. In at least three games (immortal) they have had by far the strongest Navy and the will to actually make good use of it; even on maps with the Lanun.

19. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

I'm going to have to agree that Falimar is a beast. In my game, he's contended in the top 3, while being vassalized to the 2nd guy, with ONE CITY. He's my hero :D

20. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

No particular map effects? Most of my games are large pangaea maps. I'd think that our settings, including map types, should have a huge effect.