1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The best and the worst AI's

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Lone Wolf, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Revolutionist

Revolutionist Chieftain

I think my list would be pretty similar to everyone else's.

I generally see the Calabim, Lanun and Ljos doing very well. Don't think I've ever seen the Balseraphs not in the top three. Hippus always seems to really own at the beginning, then start to fade toward the middle, for whatever reason.

The biggest failure is consistantly the Elohim for me. Right up there with the Illians for the smallest nonfactor in games.

Khazad never get off the ground . They build two cities, and never anymore as their rivals spread across the continent. Luichirp are usually at the bottom of the list too, which is a shame, because I'd love to actually face the golems for once. Clan and Doviello tend to start out okay (Though not as good as the Hippus) but usually crash after. Sometimes the Clan will cling to the middle ranks, if Sheelba is in charge. Malakim are often on the low side of the middle.

The Svalt, Sidar, Bannor and Grigori usually have fairly unremarkable careers in my games, never rising above the middle ranks. Thankfully they usually stay out of the bottom. Kurios (when going Leaves) always used to dominate my games Pre-shadow or so, but have been nonfactors since then.

Sheaim and Amurites are wildcards. Sometimes they do very well, sometimes they flounder.

Oh, and of course, Hyborem and Basium. They don't totally suck if they get some land to themselves. Which happens in about one out of every ten games for any given one. Even then, they're usually stick to the bottom rank with magnets.

2. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Cultists are Tier 2.5 and will likely be supported by the earliest Tier 3 unit, the Bronze Stygian. Yes, they're slower than Tier 3 ships. Yes, they can be vulnerable to fireballs if upgraded from Drowns.

But.

They appear in the game relatively early and in a non-useless part of the tech tree. Any beakers put into the naval line are beakers you're failing to put into your economy or land war capabilities. In this case you also have to get Alteration for your Fire mana/Blasting workshop. So, you've got Wooden Golems at best and only new units have fireballs. By this stage Iron Working shouldn't take too long - but how long is too long? I think its just long enough for the OO player to have walked some Styg/cultist raider stacks around your continent Tsunami-ing and razing coastal cities for easy XP and pillage.

Also, you may also have trouble killing a high strength unit with fireballs that also has March and a Medic II unit in the same stack. That sounds like a lot of fireballs required in one turn.

3. popejubal

popejubal Emperor

I've actually put OO Priests into ships. It felt a little weird, but it was fun watching them zip around the continent blasting everything to shrapnel. That was at the end of a very long game. I loved the fact that the game was essentially my OO Priests and super mutant Mimics vs. the Tier IV units that the Deity AI kept spawning.

Extra AI XP is actually an advantage to the human with Mimics.

4. Rutee

Rutee Warlord

Dependson whether you risk your pretty boats loaded with golems on striking a badly weakened stack or not. Frankly I don't generally go for stronger boats until I have a strong portion of my tree rounded out, so depends, I suppose.

5. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

So you don't have ocean going capability, in which case the OO player has the ability to attack you before you attack him and can always retreat to an inaccessible tile?
    And like I said, badly weakened is somewhat optimistic vs. Marching Medic II units.

Can land units loaded onto a boat even attack units in the ocean without boarding party?

6. JustinianVII

JustinianVII Prince

I did have a game awhile ago where Hyborem managed to vassalize an entire continent with four other civs. That game had some epic wars towards the end :)

7. Rutee

Rutee Warlord

Edit: Never mind.