The Best and Worst Jobs in the US.

A question from a future Software Engineer to Software Engineers. Is it worthy of its position as fifth on the list? ;)

A question from a future Software Engineer to Software Engineers. Is it worthy of its position as fifth on the list? ;)
If you enjoy programming, sure it's good. The pay is good. I am no longer excited by my career, but it's easy enough for me, and the environment is good for me, so I'll probably be sticking with it for a while.

And lists like these are mostly meaningless. For example, Biologist is #4. If by Biologist it means "biological lab technician" then it's a dead boring job.

After taking a quick look at the measurements for scoring, it looks like job satisfaction isn't on the list. Construction Worker is #191 but a constructor worker can look at the building he and his buddies built, and say, "I worked on that," and feel pride.

I just noticed that Software Engineer (#5) is listed separately from Computer Programmer (#18). I wonder what the rationale behind that is...?

Code monkeys vs. Code Designers/Implementers I guess.

I consider myself a software engineer but could qualify as a mathematician as well I suppose.

That list is crap. Most of those jobs dont even pay much. Being a Actor is definitely the best profession.

The city, where I spent a year as a WPI math major. It didn't work out. :(

A math major!?! Wow! My hat's off, even if you didn't finish. Algebra 101 was friggin' hard for me.

That list is crap. Most of those jobs dont even pay much. Being a Actor is definitely the best profession.

Dude...:rolleyes: Most actors are well below the poverty line or they require multiple jobs besides acting to survive. The ones who reach Tom Cruise level are like one in 50 million.

Dude...:rolleyes: Most actors are well below the poverty line or they require multiple jobs besides acting to survive. The ones who reach Tom Cruise level are like one in 50 million.

well yeah cause most actors suck. Im still saying its the best, and most rewarding job if your good.:p

Hah, I am at the very top of that list. Too bad I don't even life in the US.

You don't really have too much of an idea about how art works, do you?

Yes, plenty. But it looks like you do not have a idea about the movie business because you are not backing up your moronic statement.

It can be demanding sometimes but it is rewarding at the same time. Maybe not in the same way as a college professor or nurse. Just one tip; If you're looking for big money, being a Software Engineer is not the career for you.

Sitting at a desk shuffling papers indoors is the exact opposite of what I would consider a "best job."

This. Some of my fondest memories involve working on a farm. It was hard but went quickly because there was always something to do.

That guy can take his list and change the title to something like "the best jobs for people who don't like to move around to much." Also, who uses the word "roustabout" any more?

Note: Not denouncing your chosen profession, JH, just noting that I take exception to this guy's standards.

well yeah cause most actors suck. Im still saying its the best, and most rewarding job if your good you get lucky or have good marketing.:p

There we go...

EDIT: To nip this one in the bud: No, I am not suggesting luck and/or marketing preclude skill.

Yes, plenty. But it looks like you do not have a idea about the movie business because you are not backing up your moronic statement.

Do you have any idea how stressed out, constantly busy, and insecure actors are?

Top Bottom