The Best and Worst Jobs in the US.

JerichoHill

Bedrock of Knowledge
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123119236117055127.html

Economists snag the 11th best job! Woot!!!!

The findings were compiled by Les Krantz, author of "Jobs Rated Almanac," and are based on data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau, as well as studies from trade associations and Mr. Krantz's own expertise.

According to the study, mathematicians fared best in part because they typically work in favorable conditions -- indoors and in places free of toxic fumes or noise -- unlike those toward the bottom of the list like sewage-plant operator, painter and bricklayer. They also aren't expected to do any heavy lifting, crawling or crouching -- attributes associated with occupations such as firefighter, auto mechanic and plumber.

The study also considers pay, which was determined by measuring each job's median income and growth potential. Mathematicians' annual income was pegged at $94,160, but Ms. Courter, 38, says her salary exceeds that amount.

Her job entails working as part of a virtual team that designs mathematically based computer programs, some of which have been used to make films such as "The Matrix" and "Speed Racer." She telecommutes from her home and rarely works overtime or feels stressed out. "Problem-solving involves a lot of thinking," says Ms. Courter. "I find that calming."

Other jobs at the top of the study's list include actuary, statistician, biologist, software engineer and computer-systems analyst, historian and sociologist.

http://careercast.com/jobs/content/JobsRated_Methodology

Sitting at a desk shuffling papers indoors is the exact opposite of what I would consider a "best job." I hate my current posting (#10 Accountant!) because of just that ;)

what about professional athletes? say, NBA? or actors (tv and movies)? career politician?

I'm not an economist, but I too know nothing useful about economy...

How is "Philosopher" a great job? I thought the purpose of philosophy was asking oneself questions (and occasionally answering them) or studying the history of philosophy, how can you really earn money from that?

I find it hard to believe that jobs that require the amount of deep-thinking and intellectuality as those at the top would be the "best" jobs.

Here mathematicians, historians, most sociologists earn often less than secretaries...

What criteria was used for this? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems it has been made to praise great thinking jobs more than others which can be much, much more materially rewarding.

I included a link to the methodoly and the full study. If you want to understand how the rankings were done....

READ THE FREAKING METHODOLOGY LINK!!!!!

I'd like to thank such valuable contributors such as lone_wolf. Way to help the discourse buddy!

I learned just today that my grandparents were Dairy Farmers. My grandmother said you had to milk the cows twice a day, eight days a week.

I included a link to the methodoly and the full study. If you want to understand how the rankings were done....

I'd like to thank such valuable contributors such as lone_wolf. Way to help the discourse buddy!

No need to get angry. I hardly ever see threads with more than one link, it was rather normal that I didn't see the other link, which was at the very bottom of your post.

Reading the article, I'll just say I heavily disagree with the methodology. If I have time, I'll elaborate on this later, but right now I'll just say this. :)

Sometimes I wish I had a job where there was something clear cut to do and I just went out and did it, job done. I miss working with my hands (other than a keyboard) :(

I learned just today that my grandparents were Dairy Farmers. My grandmother said you had to milk the cows twice a day, eight days a week.

Your German. I could've told you all of this years ago. Ein Volk!

I always thought being a lumberjack would be a blast. Guess I was wrong :(

Your German. I could've told you all of this years ago. Ein Volk!

Not only that, but the male side was Swiss-German! (a lot of cows in Switzerland)

I always thought being a lumberjack would be a blast. Guess I was wrong :(

I thought it would be manly. At least I could sing.

How is "Philosopher" a great job? I thought the purpose of philosophy was asking oneself questions (and occasionally answering them) or studying the history of philosophy, how can you really earn money from that?

sell books, work as uni prof?

190. Mail Carrier

pfft. That's an awesome job. Great security, strong pay for no university education, good retirement and you're done in time to have the afternoon free.

Slamz!!!! (reading is fundamental).

The methodology is pretty comprehensive, but I think some of the variables listed are very relative to the person. Some people may view 'Public contact' as a good thing, and some might not. Some might thrive on the adrenaline rush of danger, some might not. I think a better methodology and plotting would follow a 2D grid like the political compass, with the axes borrowing from personality features.

Sometimes I wish I had a job where there was something clear cut to do and I just went out and did it, job done. I miss working with my hands (other than a keyboard) :(

Appliance technician a.k.a. the Fry guy.

Very interesting list. And I'd think that a comparative German list would look different. Historian 7th, Sociologist 8th, Philosopher 12th and all with respectable (median!) income comes as a surprise.

Top Bottom