The best Civ 5 civ is....

I agree with Budweiser, except for different reasoning: Babylon gets the early snowball, but Korea's larger science base results in larger GS bulbs and RA's. Babs better for smaller or OCC games, but in regular games Korea should be able to compensate with the larger science base.

I agree with Budweiser, except for different reasoning: Babylon gets the early snowball, but Korea's larger science base results in larger GS bulbs and RA's. Babs better for smaller or OCC games, but in regular games Korea should be able to compensate with the larger science base.

I'd disagree with your "Babs better for tall" statement, but hey, to each their own. I'd recommend everyone play the Koreans on a high level before passing any sort of judgement on them.

Also, Babs are much, much better for early domination, because hitting machinery on T80-90 is fun :D

All this Korea/Babylon talk makes me want to try them (I've never played either Civ).

I also need to make the jump to Immortal soon. Maybe trying one of them for a SV on Immortal would be a good first try. Hmm. I also like OCC and Babylon OCC SV could be an option...

I'm trying to get through most of the Civs but there are still a few I haven't tried and I have been saving them for the higher difficulties.

England, Arabia, Babylon, Korea, Siam, Germany, Iroquois, Mongolia, Austria and Russia are all Civs I still need to give a try.

Suggestions? I guess I could also wait for the next GOTM or Immortal challenge - if they look good ;)

I'd disagree with your "Babs better for tall" statement, but hey, to each their own. I'd recommend everyone play the Koreans on a high level before passing any sort of judgement on them.

Also, Babs are much, much better for early domination, because hitting machinery on T80-90 is fun :D

Wrong quote? I didn't say anything about tall.

All this Korea/Babylon talk makes me want to try them (I've never played either Civ).

I also need to make the jump to Immortal soon. Maybe trying one of them for a SV on Immortal would be a good first try. Hmm. I also like OCC and Babylon OCC SV could be an option...

I'm trying to get through most of the Civs but there are still a few I haven't tried and I have been saving them for the higher difficulties.

England, Arabia, Babylon, Korea, Siam, Germany, Iroquois, Mongolia, Austria and Russia are all Civs I still need to give a try.

Suggestions? I guess I could also wait for the next GOTM or Immortal challenge - if they look good ;)

Both IC1 and IC4 are pretty easy. But they're still probably harder than a decent random roll. Whatever you do, don't play IC3 if you're looking for some mild :p.

It's literally the funniest thing ever that Polynesia is the best civ. Seriously. The early game advantage that Polynesia gives you on continent and archipelago maps makes them the best civ.

Any civ is the best civ* on deity pangea, so I am focusing more on continent and archipelago maps.

*probably Babylon, Siam, or Mongolia.

It's literally the funniest thing ever that Polynesia is the best civ. Seriously. The early game advantage that Polynesia gives you on continent and archipelago maps makes them the best civ.

Any civ is the best civ* on deity pangea, so I am focusing more on continent and archipelago maps.

*probably Babylon, Siam, or Mongolia.

Second, or arguably better:

Siam
Austria
Japan

Whoa.
Changing your mind now are we?
What happened to Austria and Japan being "arguably better"?

But there's more, we already agreed on the following conditions, right?

Under the following conditions which I think everyone could agree are the standard playing conditions of this game:

Standard map size
Standard time
Standard amount of other civs (8)
Standard amount of other CS (16)
Deity
Random map type
Ancient Era start
Allow Policy Saving

All other settings default

Quick Combat allowed (quick combat just removes the animations which speeds up the game dramatically)
Quick Movement allowed (same essentially as quick combat)
No ancient ruins
No barbarians

Screw barbarians, they are a stupid mechanic like ancient ruins that make no sense. Barbarians are minor civs with no chance of winning.

So if those are the "standard setttings", how can you only be focusing on:

so I am focusing more on continent and archipelago maps.

How can you focus on the wrong maps...you said random is standard...
I find the idea of Polynesia and no ruins rather amusing...one the biggest benefits of that civ is their ability to grab ruins on islands before anyone else...but hey, ruins off?

Also, i thought we agreed.
Well, ense7en, you are obviously an elite civ player. I'll let you take over from here. Good luck.

:goodjob:

I can't understand anything you wrote. My point is this:

on pangea there are better civs than polynesia, but with the random map type which includes continents and archipelago into the rotation than it is my hypothesis that polynesia is the best due to the massive advantage they get early on with regards to trade and exploration.

trade an exploration being one of the most overlooked but important aspects of civ 5. If you have to wait to turn 120 to sign an RA in a peaceful game than you are probably going to lose. Polynesia prevents that situation from happening due to their UA.

please stop responding to the troll, you're embarrassing yourself

Let me clear: this is not a troll, this is a serious post.

Polynesia gives you a significant early game advantage due to their ability to make contact with other civs over 100 turns before other civs. Due to the mechanics regarding trading and city states this gives Polynesia a significant advantage over other civs. This advantage is somewhat nerfed on Pangea, but I think Pangea maps are easy to win no matter what civ you play.

I have been playing the civ series for over a decade pretty seriously and can beat deity with reasonable frequency. I am not the world's best civ player, but I can hold my own against the AI on the highest difficulty. With this being said, it is based off of my experience with this game that Polynesia is the best civ when using the random map type. If one were to play pangea then one might choose Babylon or another civ, but when one factors in continental maps and archipelago maps the game changes significantly.

The biggest issue with this thread is the map pick. In order for a civ to be "the best" it must be good on all the maps on the list. Well beyond that, it is generally accepted that Pangaea is more challenging than other map types on deity because of the constant agression. Thus when you pick the best civ accross random map type, you need to give a bigger weight to pangaea biased civs.

Poly is great because it allows you not to change your opening strat at all when selecting random. This is far from enough to offset the benefits of quite a few other civs that were listed as top tier in various posts. It is pleasant but definitely neither game breaking nor even good enough to put poly in a top tier list.

I'd probably agree that it's one of the best civs for small continent maps...that's about it. Continents has enough trade partners in the early game and archipelago is both quite easy to explore with just triremes and is soooo much slower paced that really any civ can do good, even on deity.

No barbarians

Screw barbarians, they are a stupid mechanic like ancient ruins that make no sense. Barbarians are minor civs with no chance of winning.

VilePilot said:
Build 6 scouts

I like Warrior Code when playing as Polynesia. The 15% production helps me get out 6 scouts really fast. Sucks though, cause I play with barbarians off so the opener is kind of wasted :(

Matthew. This your sockpuppet? :mischief:

Wow guys, really? I clicked this thread out of sheer boredom and curiosity and I could immediately tell this is a troll thread. No need to feed a troll with 6 pages of replies.

If T194 is possible as Rome, Korea can get T180. Here is him researching Flight as T168, presumably after Plastics. I, personally, have never achieved a sub-200 SV, but it's completely theoretically possible.

He did retry with Korea and pulled a 183 SV. I doubt there are many people who can beat this time. His work on this specific play style at Deity is pretty well dialed. It is possible that he could have done a flat 180 if he was able to get all SS parts in 2 turns as he did in his Roma game Vs the 5 turns he took in this game.

He did retry with Korea and pulled a 183 SV. I doubt there are many people who can beat this time. His work on this specific play style at Deity is pretty well dialed. It is possible that he could have done a flat 180 if he was able to get all SS parts in 2 turns as he did in his Roma game Vs the 5 turns he took in this game.

It was Emperor, not Deity - and the start is brutally cooked.

Yeah, his games are more about getting the most ludicrously fast finishes (or in the France culture game winning in a very unconventional way) than doing anything that you could perform in a typical start.

Top Bottom