1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The best civ, to you.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Hylt22, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Hylt22

Hylt22 Chieftain

I'm not asking "what is the best civ" because that's an opinion, and can vary widely....
    But voice your opinions here!
    What is the best civ & leader to you and what is the reason why?

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Civ: Mali. Average UB, but a top-tier UU that is extremely flexible and non-resource dependent. Rushing/choking mali is next to impossible, Starting techs are only OK but I guess you can't have everything.

Leader: Pacal. FIN is easy to use on all difficulties and adds more flexibility than one might originally anticipate. Expansive is a solid trait that speeds early city setup and leaves a lasting impression with the health.

Still, stock Mali is strong in both single and multiplayer and as a result is the most well-rounded civ in general IMO, and definitely for me.

Edit: On water maps, the dutch win instead. A 6 strength galleon which can be bulbed 50+ turns before anyone will realistically get frigates is utter devastation waiting to happen. Even the vikings need to fear that.

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

^^^Pacal is awesome...too bad Mayans starts with Myst

I'd say the Ottos are pretty strong too

4. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Emperor

My favorite is the Ottomans...the Hammam and Organized from Mehmed combine nicely.

5. Bigv32

Bigv32 Prince

Inca are very nice. I believe though that they are considered cheap and/or banned from certain competitions. I am not sure about that though.

Anyway, their UU is strong early one if you can leverage it properly. Their UB is also awesone as you will build it normally, but it also has the culture.

Finally, the traits are a great combo (Industrious and financial).

However, one of my favorite civs to use is the japanese. I understand how others are easily better civs, but once you get into the era of gunpowder, they are a warmongers best dream come true with not only the drill promotion but also combat I.

Okay, so go ahead and make fun of me for liking the japanese lol JK.

6. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Portugal. Imperialistic and Expansive traits allow you to expand faster than most other civs can... maybe not the best UB, but the UU is very useful as it's basically a galleon-lite before Astronomy.

7. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

I have a problem.. I play Dutch-William too much :D I just love traits... and UB.. and UU as most :)

8. MaxWar

MaxWar King

It really depends on the map and the style of playing you are going for.

But personally, out of any specific context, anything with FIN + SPIRITUAL is awesome...
    Too bad this equates to Mansa, that weirdly dressed freak...

9. MaxWar

MaxWar King

Fix, do like me and get used to playing Random :D

10. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

I love the English on difficuly levels I play most often. Decent start techs, solid UU/UB, and overall good leaders. Once rifling is in, game over :hammer:

11. Orion071

Orion071 Home School Tutor

The Incas are one of the best civs for sure. Great UU, great UB and great traits. One of my favorites.

I tried the Japanese recently and they work perfectly for my style. My 2 favorite times to war are as soon as I get Macemen and as soon as I get Rifles. Japan excels in both areas. Samurai are amazing and aggressive, protective Riflemen are pretty useful as well.

12. tdy99

tdy99 Prince

I play on Monarch and Emperor if I feel like getting beat.

Any financial or industrious leader works for me. Elizabeth is probably my favorite these days since I've been trying to develop the GP aspect of my game and really trying to set up dedicated GP cities, something I never did before.

13. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

I really like to play Ethiopia, actually. Not because they're particularly strong - probably middle tier (?) - but I like their history. Plus, ZY's traits are pretty nice :D

EDIT: Hannibal is another favourite leader. Fin/Chm is simply a nice trait combo in my eyes.

14. fathertuck

fathertuck Warlord

Definitely Ethiopia. The UU is amazing with drill4 promotion.

15. Grandkhan

Grandkhan Telvanni Master Wizard

Depends on the map. By and large, as a leader, FDR is pretty good though, especially on water maps.
    Favourite civilisations are Germans or Romans.

16. Mylene

Mylene Deity

I like playing with Spain, HRE and Native America most.
    Spain cos it is the strongest to me excluding starting techs, HRE for the challenge and fun of Landsknechts (can i hear TmiT shout? :D ), and Natives cos i like their background, city names etc etc. Philo and dogs are good too.

17. Cheps

Cheps Chieftain

I'd say Willem, definatly one of the first leaders I will play with when I'm moving to the next difficulty level. Very strong traits, good starting techs, with situational UU/UB (but when you can fully leverage them they are very good).

18. Yezdegerd

Yezdegerd Chieftain

My favorite is the Zulu.
    Agg,Exp,Ikanda's,and Impi's....Whats not to love?:borg:

19. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

Memed II is very well rounded, and the samurai for Japan are very useful, even if the shale plant comes too late in the game.

20. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

I like Darius of the Persians. His strong economic traits really complements his strong UU. You can over-expand/over-rush with Darius and get away with it.