1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The best defensive tips....

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Alvin, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

Here is some tips of how to fight a defensive war(on land). THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE C3C TIPS BECAUSE I DON"T OWN IT
    1.When an enemy attacks you through an road or railroad, take it then pillage it so the enemy can't get to you as fast.
    2.Always place your best defensive units at important points in the map
    3.Always attack the enemy when their troops are undefended by artys and unfortified
    4.When short on time, place a worker right next to the city they want to conquer(trust me, the AI always take it and save you a turn)
    5.Take out transports at all costs(yes, even nukes)
    6.Paratroopers often offer the best distractions
    7.put all artys in cities
    8.Build forts by important cities
    9.Have your rail road connected to all cities
    10.AIs never learn to use the terrain
    11.If you have one defender left in a city and you have a big treasury, offer the city for free to a ally, that will save you alot of gold.
    12.Remeber to fortifiy all troops

If you have any suggestions or addiation or comments, please post!
    Version1.1

2. biggamer132

biggamer132 King

3. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

Not For Newbies!!!

4. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

Wow...someone actually saying I make more sense than someone else...that's strange.

5. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

Dude, I am only 12 and skipped two grades so......

6. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

dude....I don't care how old you are, nor how many grades you've skipped...frankly I don't trust anything anyone says on-line, so it wouldn't matter if you graduated high school when you were 11.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein Barely hominid

:lol:

Well, this was fun...

8. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

Hey, Desdor, I read your article, when you said to destroy all roads/railroads to the capital, then when you capture it, how can you reinforce it. If you want to raze it what if it has great wonders?

9. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

If you're fighting a defensive war, you don't want to capture it. Read my article more thoroughly, I don't mention capturing cities at all...

In fact I state you should avoid capturing enemy cities at this point...fact is by the time you get around to waging real war, the enemy will have rebuilt some of his road and rail network back to his capital...if not, just don't capture the capital until he does. In all reality you don't *have* to capture anything and you can still win a war.

10. Longasc

Longasc Deity

How about "use terrain to your advantage"?

Place units on mountains, the AI will attack it, no matter the cost. Works very well.

I think you should rework your 12 points and shorten them to 10 or less basic principles, giving examples for everyone perhaps.

11. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Not true, actually. I dropped a few units on a mountain on an enemy island in my Sid Always War game and they completely ignored them. There's some hidden triggers in the AI's mentality about when it will attack and when it won't. Sometimes being on a mountain will cause the AI to ignore a unit. Strange but true.

Arathorn

12. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

Not all civs ignore mountain units...for example the Aztecs continually send jaguar warriors after my fortified spearmen on mountain terrain (even outside their borders) :eek:

13. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

If you capture their capital city, it probably end a war you're losing (since you're fighting a defensive war).Great wonders can conturbit very much to your war effort, for example you captured a capital city with Sun Tu Zu war of Art, you can upgrade or build units with veteran status(helps greatly.Note: The AI does not attack units on mountains if you are emporer or above.

14. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

I've also noticed in Conquest the AI are better war-makers, which is :cool:
    and :eek: . They will skip by fortified units to attack better defenders that
    are not fortified, they will try to lure you to capture their workers, with a
    swordsman nearby to :spank: , and other wierd actions. Also barbarians are
    much more prone to fortify themselves instead of making a "hopeless" attack
    as they used to do :scan: .

15. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

1.I don't own Conquest
    2.AIs are COMPUTERS WITH A FEW HUNDRED TIMES THE PROCESSING POWER OF OUR BRAIN SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

16. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

In my experience, capturing an enemy capital just pisses them off...95% of the time, they will just quickly recapture it on the next turn, even if most of their units are in your territory. So unless you've taken some defensive units from your holdings and brought them to defend the captured capital...it'll probably be retaken before you can use anything you capture.

Taking their cities is good in theory, but bad in execution. If you're already fighting a defensive war, you probably don't have the resources for anything more than a defensive war, and maybe a few skirmishes to take out enemy supplies and resources.

Keep in mind your first goal is preservation of your homeland, not capturing of enemy cities. You can take over half the enemy territory, but it won't mean anything if all your main cities are sacked. Then your problems are larger because the enemy civ can attack you much easier as they have production bases right next to your cities, and if you're fighting defensively they have some sort of an advantage over you. They will probably still have that advantage, so you've succeeded (in theory) in screwing yourself over.

Course that's just my thoughts on the matter. By all means follow your own defensive plans. My ideas are merely suggestions.

17. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

#1. You should get it- I was just posting something I noticed recently.
    #2. Thanks for enlightening us :rolleyes: .

18. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

Actually, having a few hundred times more processing power doesn't make them any better at anything but fast calculations.

Take chess for instance. We've had computers that are faster than people for a long time, and yet only recently have we built a computer that can match (or beat) the greatest human chess player (Kasparov).

Frankly, the AI in Civ 3 vanilla is stupid as a rock. It has no real tactics except rushing units at you. It doesn't even understand the non-defensive uses for artillery.

19. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Don't you think that's rather insulting to rocks everywhere? ;) :p

Arathorn

P.S. Actually, it's good in a lot of ways -- it's so good that the bad things stick out like sore thumbs. One of the better 4X AIs I've ever played against.

20. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

I mean relative a human player the AI sucks. For an AI it actually works pretty well in most cases, and probably took a lot of good programming code...

It's just not nearly as flexible as a human player.