1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The best defensive tips....

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Alvin, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Longasc

Longasc Deity

Really? The Indians attacked my Infantry on Hills with Cavalry, on <Demigod>. This might have been an exception to the rule, but they did it by far too often to convince me that the AI does not.

2. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

AI will not attack a stack that it's available units doesn't have a decent chance of winning, or if they have other better things to do.

3. Longasc

Longasc Deity

I think you have a too positive view of the AI, Tomoyo. I have seen more intelligent lemmings running down the cliffs as Civ3-AI-soldiers! :)

The rationale behind your statement is very logical, there must also be a logical reason WHY the AI sometimes makes suicidal attacks on well fortified strongholds even if there is no obvious strategic importance seen there for us human players.

4. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

5. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

True, but you go rapidly downhill from here. Your problem is assuming the AI really thinks -- it doesn't. People do. Advantage, strongly, humans.
    False. The computer does no such thing. I'm sure it analyzes a very small fraction of all possible actions

6. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

Alvin...you make way too many assumptions...the AI, frankly, sucks in all matters. They can't adapt to the situation nearly as good as a human can. Now, that said, if a human and the AI had the same situation, and they went through the same thought process...the AI could come up with a move faster, and it would probably be better than what the human came up with...

That is not the case...not by a very long shot. The AI thinks like a n00b...it doesn't do anything efficiently.

Also, all that calculating power is a detriment to the AI...precise calculation doesn't take the randomness of combat and things like disease from floodplanes and jungles into effect. So the AI may loose a key unit because of random chance, and be left behind for a while because of it...humans usually don't make that mistake.

7. general_kill

general_kill Deity

Don't forget the ultimate AI advantage

:spear:

8. Longasc

Longasc Deity

I agree with your posting, but do not be so harsh with him, Arathorn!

Chess programs can spend all their time on a 8x8 grid and really analyze all the options. Imagine the AI in Civ3 would take its time on a 256x256 map and do the same - calculate all odds, all moves and possible countermoves, ...

this is simply not doable in a reasonable and user friendly amount of time.

What the AI could need are some clever behaviour rules how to mount a seaborne assault and the correct use of artillery, flak and bombers - this would make everything much harder.

9. Mupetti

Mupetti Chieftain

general_kill: About ten minutes ago I lost my 3/5 elite tank to a 3/3 regular spearman, on a grassland, not in a city, not fortified, no river. Ok, there where an 3/3 regular archer on a same tile, but it's still quite magical.

10. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

This happened a lot in Civ 1...not so much in Civ 2, but makes a return in Civ 3...

Kinda like how I lost 5 pop-12 cities in a row because of enemy calvary...which just happened to be able to kill my fortified infantrymen....and suffer no losses themselves... :eek:

Anyone ever see a transport sink a battleship? It's happened to me like six times....with me having the transport, not the battleship

11. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

Well, I'm only 12....

12. homeyg

homeyg Deity

Accidently posted in wrong thread..

13. ryanc75ca

ryanc75ca Chieftain

Am I the only one who almost killed themselves laughing over this

"Dude, I am only 12 and skipped two grades so......"
    followed by

"If you capture their capital city, it probably end a war you're losing (since you're fighting a defensive war).Great wonders can conturbit very much to your war effort, for example you captured a capital city with Sun Tu Zu war of Art, you can upgrade or build units with veteran status(helps greatly.Note: The AI does not attack units on mountains if you are emporer or above."

Those grades musta been skipped in a special school where you ride the little bus.

14. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

What's funnier is he thinks he's a Civ 3 god...I'd bet he hasn't even won a game on Chieftan yet.

15. homeyg

homeyg Deity

No, you're not the only one. :mischief: Now if you'll excuse me, I am building Sun Tu Zu war of art in 3 turns and I don't want to lose it to a cascade! :lol:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Well, Alvin, I'll have you know that I'm only 13 and I haven't skipped 2 grades yet I probably know 540 times what you know about CivIII! I have no idea what point you are trying to prove by saying that 'I'm only 12' and 'I've skipped 2 grades', but whatever it is, just come out and say it!

God, I haven't had to biotch at anyone like that in months!

16. Reprisal

Reprisal Warlord

*sigh*

I think it's time for a little tact here people... regardless of who started it, I'm pretty sure the mods aren't cool with personal attacks.

- Rep.

17. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

Dude, I came from China two years ago....and I learned how to speak peferct english in little more than 3 years, yea, and I don't know how to spell

18. Alvin

Alvin Warlord

Sure you do, probably spend 99% of your waking time playing CIV3 with your buddies. I do spend most of my time studying, you should too

19. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

@ Alvin, perhaps you should do as I do and Lurk (study) more and Speak
    (post) less ;) . You have jumped into a Lion's den with your remarks :eek: .
    For 12 yrs old, just from China you are indeed doing good things with the
    game and language- just make statements as your "opinion" and you will have
    to dodge far fewer FLAMES. :devil2:

20. dresdor

dresdor Chaotic Evil DM

no...no dodging the flames for you...

Look, Alvin, I treat everyone the same online...cause, frankly, you can't trust anything they say about themselve...if you're twelve, from China, and skipped two grades...good for you, but I still don't care...it doesn't apply here...

Frankly, I could say I'm 8 and have mastered all levels of Civ 3 while coming up with a workable UTE (Unified Theory of Everything) but it 1. doesn't make it true, and 2. doesn't make anyone here believe it.

Just my thoughts.