The best defensive tips....

If my kid skipped grades and spelt like that then its right back to the grade you should be in.

Condescension and incorrectness are very bad attributes to mix, whether you're 12, 22, 52, 92, or anywhere in-between. Not only is it unsufferably rude, it will mislead a large number of honest seekers. I feel it is a duty of those informed to not be put off by the rudeness and to offer correct information.

Arathorn

Arathorn said:
Condescension and incorrectness are very bad attributes to mix, whether you're 12, 22, 52, 92, or anywhere in-between. Not only is it unsufferably rude, it will mislead a large number of honest seekers. I feel it is a duty of those informed to not be put off by the rudeness and to offer correct information.

Arathorn

You sound very Zen...and I find that funny for reasons I no longer remember.

OK, ryanc75ca - enough bashing. Someone already pointed out that even he deserves some respect.

Granted PC's can process numbers faster. But AI can't think rationally. Everything is based on how it's coded. When you get used to it, the AI can be very predictable. Although I will say that the AI is wierd sometimes because it will attack for no apparant reason.

hey come on, don't knock the guy just cause he's been playing the game and thought of some points that he thinks might be useful for others.

Some of his points are actually correct, the AI doesn't know terrain and its best to take out any important roads or rail that the AI is using.

I'm quite curious about point 4 though, I'll need to try it sometime...... quite useful if its true...... especially if you've got lots of slave workers lying about.....

One more thing Alvin, its my opinion that point 7 should read group all your artillery together rather than put some in all your cities, otherwise you'll end up like the British at the start of WW2. They had lots of tanks, but they had them spread out throughout their armies whilst the Germans concentrated them and kick some serious a$$.

One catapult in every city won't do much, but 20 in one city will be alot harder to take.

Steviejay

Actually, the human brain is far more complex than any form of artificial intelligence we have today, the brain is far more complex and more efficient than a PC, but seriously take everyones contribution and try to add it into your article and it ill get better, just saying not for newbs will not work around here as in this forum this is where most newbs will go to look up strategies, enough of this online newb bashing.

anyway on topic, remember that a lot of things in civ 3 in all ersions rely on the random number generator, and so will never be absolutely set in stone, you make a good point about forts, but they can take too long to build unless you put them up in advance, if you use them, try to put good defence units in them.

Try to bait the ai as you have suggested into attacking units, or as I have read in HOF games, and Always War games, you can leave one city undefended with units around guarding it, and wait for the AI to try and take it, obviously this will rely on artillery, strong units, or if not possible, large numbers of units, and a little luck. (not for the faint hearted)

Use Armies whenever possible, it is possible to get a great leader on defence, and the AI apparently isn't too hot on attacking them unless it knows it can win.

Another factor you have overlooked is government form, wars are best fought in totalitarian governments, like despotism, monarchy, communism etc, and harder to do though not completely impossible in representative governments, (democracy, repblicetc), try to avoid switching at a time when you are weak as all production in cities are shut down. (religious civs can help here)

other factors, prescence of city walls/civil defence, radar towers, lay of the land, and prescence of barracks in cities.

Hope this helps.

SK.

EDIT: Credit where its due, thanks for taking the time to write down and share your thoughts, I just get a little touchy about newb - bashing as its all over battlenet, which puts me off trying to get better at one of my favourite games (warcraft 3) and there is always some cocky little 14 year old who likes to bully others.

SolarKnight said:
- bashing as its all over battlenet, which puts me off trying to get better at one of my favourite games (warcraft 3) and there is always some cocky little 14 year old who likes to bully others.

Incase you're refering to me, I apoligize to Alvin for my crude behavior. I'm not normally a bully. I don't even know how this huge argument got going in the first place. Sorry Alvin.

homeyg said:
Incase you're refering to me, I apoligize to Alvin for my crude behavior. I'm not normally a bully. I don't even know how this huge argument got going in the first place. Sorry Alvin.

I think someone pointed out they liked my tips better and/or my format...and Alvin got defensive...I dunno.

dgfred said:
I've also noticed in Conquest the AI are better war-makers, which is :cool:
and :eek: . They will skip by fortified units to attack better defenders that
are not fortified.
I have found a way to use this AI tendency against it. When the AI is attacking with a Stack Of Doom and could go against either of two of my cities, it will consistently pick whichever is more weakly defended. So, I strongly defend city A, weakly defend city B, and pummel the attackers with artillery while they trek to city B. When they're two tiles away, I stack a load of defenders in city B and pull defenders out of city A (with a railroad, you can use the same units). The AI will now turn around and attack the newly weak city A. Artillery continues to pummel the whole time. When the SoD is down to 1HP defenders, cavalry and other offensive units pick off the survivors.

Pook said:
I have found a way to use this AI tendency against it. When the AI is attacking with a Stack Of Doom and could go against either of two of my cities, it will consistently pick whichever is more weakly defended. So, I strongly defend city A, weakly defend city B, and pummel the attackers with artillery while they trek to city B. When they're two tiles away, I stack a load of defenders in city B and pull defenders out of city A (with a railroad, you can use the same units). The AI will now turn around and attack the newly weak city A. Artillery continues to pummel the whole time. When the SoD is down to 1HP defenders, cavalry and other offensive units pick off the survivors.

Good post Pook, I try your theory out for some AI :spank: .

Top Bottom