1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The best partition managing program is?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Mopheo, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Mopheo

Mopheo Warlord

I want to separate my computer into two partitions, one with junk (i.e., random shareware programs I want to try), and one with stuff I use consistently. This way the one I always use will not impeded by the slowing down of the computer caused by the many badly coded junk programs that spew registry files in random places and give assembler errors.

I'm hoping that some sort of partition manager would essentially seperate my hard drive into two seperate computers. Assuming it would (correct me if I’m wrong), I’m trying to find the best partition manager.

If any one knows of anything they can recommend, please respond. I want to make 2 Windows XP professional partitions (Junk and Important). Also, if it isn't a problem I’d like to have an additional Windows 2000 partition, and a Linux partition.

Thanks ahead of time

2. Jeratain

Jeratain On the can.

It all depends on what you're looking to do.

Fdisk is probably the standard for fresh computers that have nothing on them, or that you are willing to reformat. If you willing to reformat your hard drives and reinstall everything, then back up all your data and boot using a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com . In the command prompt type in 'fdisk' and create your partitions. If you don't know how to use the program, then read a tutorial (search google.)

If you have stuff on your computer that you cannot backup and are not willing to reformat, then you will want to use a program like Partition Magic. Partition Magic will sepertate and partition your hard drive without you having to lose any information. The only catch is that you have to pay for this program. I'm sure there are other free partitioning programs out there that can do the same thing, I just don't know of their names. Maybe someone else can link you, or you can always try www.download.com to see.

If you want to have a Windows partition and a Linux partition it's fairly simple. You have a few options.

1. Partition your drive using the standard methods listed above. Install Windows on one drive and then when you install Linux you can allocate space to a new Linux partition from your current Windows partition.

or

2. Partition some space for Windows and leave a good amount of space unpartitioned. Install Windows on the partition. When you boot up the Linux CD you can then create the Linux partition in the unpartitioned area.

3. Aphex_Twin

Aphex_Twin Evergreen

Partition Magic