The Best Thing Civ 6 Gets Right (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always funny that Zulu warmongering is often accompanied by their happy music, it's great music though.

Not quite the same, but some members of the Soweto Gospel Choir
wandered through the Adelaide CBD last week, singing as they went.
My son (now 31) kept saying, "I'm sure I know that music from somewhere,
what is it?"

I could almost hear the gears whirring in his head as he tried tracing through
all the Civ series from Civ I (from when he was about 7) through to Civ 4, when it
finally registered. I think he would have thanked them if he had a chance, but
by then they had vanished into the fog, like Impis.

Yeah you can kinda BS around and make different kinds of empires if you want to. I have had a few stip games where I wasn't allowed to build campi that were pretty cool. Never really saw the unstacking as a new cool feature though, cool, now my library is just over here.

But I like scouting out a one tile island with some sea resources around it and having to think: "Is it really worth building a city here? All I'll be able to build is a harbour and nothing else. No neighbourhood, no campus, no nothing." If this were a previous Civ game, the tiny land area wouldn't matter because you'd still be able to build as many buildings as your largest metropolis with 3 rings of land. How does that make any sense? Your districts are also vulnerable to pillaging because you can't just protect everything by defending the city centre. This isn't quite used to its fullest potential where Battle of Stalingrad-esque struggles to hold parts of the city could occur but it's an extra layer at least.

But I like scouting out a one tile island with some sea resources around it and having to think: "Is it really worth building a city here? All I'll be able to build is a harbour and nothing else. No neighbourhood, no campus, no nothing." If this were a previous Civ game, the tiny land area wouldn't matter because you'd still be able to build as many buildings as your largest metropolis with 3 rings of land. How does that make any sense? Your districts are also vulnerable to pillaging because you can't just protect everything by defending the city centre. This isn't quite used to its fullest potential where Battle of Stalingrad-esque struggles to hold parts of the city could occur but it's an extra layer at least.

Yeah no its cool don't get me wrong. But most of the time it doesn't make a difference. If anything it really imbalances MP because somebody starts with a +5 campus or something and knights everybody first. That might be more of an issue with the fact that science is way to strong and always have been. It just never felt that new or game changing.

To bolster my argument a bit, did you know that as-of Rise and Fall there are sixty-two different ways in this game for a player to be awarded a yield? This is irrespective of the yield type. There are 62 different scenarios where a player could see an increase or decrease in yields, from an immediate payout, to a percent modifier, to a trade route bonus, to a lot of other thin

I provided a list in the spoiler, stripped from the database.

Spoiler :

EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_BUILDING_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_FOLLOWER_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADD_PLAYER_BELIEF_YIELD
EFFECT_ADD_RELIGIOUS_BELIEF_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLOT_YIELD
EFFECT_ADD_DIPLOMATIC_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_BUILDING_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_STATE_TRADE_ROUTE_DISTRICT_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_PER_DISTRICT
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_GREATWORK_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_TO_OTHERS
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FROM_OTHERS
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_DESTINATION_LUXURY_RESOURCE_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_DESTINATION_STRATEGIC_RESOURCE_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_DESTINATION_STRATEGIC_RESOURCE_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_CHANGE_PER_TRIBUTARY
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_CHANGE_PER_USED_INFLUENCE_TOKEN
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_MODIFIER_PER_EARNED_GREAT_PERSON
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_MODIFIER_PER_TRIBUTARY
EFFECT_GRANT_UNIT_YIELD_ADJACENT_FEATURES
EFFECT_GRANT_UNIT_YIELD_ADJACENT_NATURAL_WONDERS
EFFECT_GRANT_UNIT_YIELD_ADJACENT_TERRAINS
EFFECT_ADJUST_UNIT_POST_COMBAT_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_EXTRA_REGIONAL_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_YIELD_BASED_ON_ADJACENCY_BONUS
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_YIELD_BASED_ON_APPEAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_BASE_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_UNIT_INITIATION_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_UNIT_PLUNDER_YIELDS
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_FROM_FOREIGN_TRADE_ROUTES_PASSING_THROUGH
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_LOCAL_BONUS_RESOURCE_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_LOCAL_BONUS_RESOURCE_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_WONDER_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_GRANT_YIELD_PER_GREAT_WORK_IN_CITY
EFFECT_GRANT_CITY_YIELD_PERCENT_UNIT_CREATED_COST
EFFECT_GRANT_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_SPECIALTY_DISTRICT_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_DESTINATION_YIELD_FOR_ALLY_ROUTE
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_ORIGIN_YIELD_FOR_ALLY_ROUTE
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_POST_IN_FOREIGN_CITY
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_POST_IN_OWN_CITY
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_DISTRICT_CREATE_YIELD
EFFECT_GRANT_YIELD_BASED_ON_CURRENT_YIELD_RATE
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ALLIANCE_YIELD_INCOME_FROM_ALLY_RELIGION
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_IMPROVEMENT_IN_TARGET_CITY
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_SPECIALTY_DISTRICT_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_PER_POPULATION
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_HAPPINESS_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_BUILDING_YIELD_MODIFIERS_FOR_DISTRICT
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_ALL_YIELDS_CHANGE

Last edited:
It
feels like the devs deliberately singled out various sexist, racist creeps and
completely ignored their troglodyte agendas and preferences.

I personally wish they had thrown in some of those qualities. I would love to play against the Hitlers and Stalins of history. I've never been a fan of having history 'cleaned up' for me.

Just give me the facts, sir, just the facts.

Yield sources: city, population, district, building, trade route, belief, religion, follower, great work, player, envoys, city states, plot tiles, adjacency, unit creation, plunder, combat, happiness, alliances, one-timers, great people, spies.
Except for districts, adjacency, allianes and envoys, which are essentialy new systems, same as Civ5. Only different implementation method, more flexible, which ofc is good.
And culture is a normal yield, hurray. But stiil Tourism is not and must be treated separately.

To bolster my argument a bit, did you know that as-of Rise and Fall there are sixty-two different ways in this game for a player to be awarded a yield? This is irrespective of the yield type. There are 62 different scenarios where a player could see an increase or decrease in yields, from an immediate payout, to a percent modifier, to a trade route bonus, to a lot of other thin

I provided a list in the spoiler, stripped from the database.

Spoiler :

EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_BUILDING_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_FOLLOWER_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADD_PLAYER_BELIEF_YIELD
EFFECT_ADD_RELIGIOUS_BELIEF_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLOT_YIELD
EFFECT_ADD_DIPLOMATIC_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_BUILDING_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_STATE_TRADE_ROUTE_DISTRICT_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_PER_DISTRICT
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_GREATWORK_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_TO_OTHERS
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FROM_OTHERS
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_DESTINATION_LUXURY_RESOURCE_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_DESTINATION_STRATEGIC_RESOURCE_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_DESTINATION_STRATEGIC_RESOURCE_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_CHANGE_PER_TRIBUTARY
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_CHANGE_PER_USED_INFLUENCE_TOKEN
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_MODIFIER_PER_EARNED_GREAT_PERSON
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_YIELD_MODIFIER_PER_TRIBUTARY
EFFECT_GRANT_UNIT_YIELD_ADJACENT_FEATURES
EFFECT_GRANT_UNIT_YIELD_ADJACENT_NATURAL_WONDERS
EFFECT_GRANT_UNIT_YIELD_ADJACENT_TERRAINS
EFFECT_ADJUST_UNIT_POST_COMBAT_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_EXTRA_REGIONAL_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_YIELD_BASED_ON_ADJACENCY_BONUS
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_YIELD_BASED_ON_APPEAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_BASE_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ADJUST_DISTRICT_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_UNIT_INITIATION_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_UNIT_PLUNDER_YIELDS
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_FROM_FOREIGN_TRADE_ROUTES_PASSING_THROUGH
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_LOCAL_BONUS_RESOURCE_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_LOCAL_BONUS_RESOURCE_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_WONDER_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_GRANT_YIELD_PER_GREAT_WORK_IN_CITY
EFFECT_GRANT_CITY_YIELD_PERCENT_UNIT_CREATED_COST
EFFECT_GRANT_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_SPECIALTY_DISTRICT_FOR_DOMESTIC
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_DESTINATION_YIELD_FOR_ALLY_ROUTE
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_ORIGIN_YIELD_FOR_ALLY_ROUTE
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_POST_IN_FOREIGN_CITY
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_POST_IN_OWN_CITY
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_DISTRICT_CREATE_YIELD
EFFECT_GRANT_YIELD_BASED_ON_CURRENT_YIELD_RATE
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_CHANGE
EFFECT_ALLIANCE_YIELD_INCOME_FROM_ALLY_RELIGION
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_MODIFIER
EFFECT_ADJUST_PLAYER_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_IMPROVEMENT_IN_TARGET_CITY
EFFECT_ADJUST_TRADE_ROUTE_YIELD_PER_SPECIALTY_DISTRICT_FOR_INTERNATIONAL
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_YIELD_PER_POPULATION
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_HAPPINESS_YIELD
EFFECT_ADJUST_BUILDING_YIELD_MODIFIERS_FOR_DISTRICT
EFFECT_ADJUST_CITY_ALL_YIELDS_CHANGE

That's a lot of flexibility for customization, for sure.

I'd say that aiming for the unique over the generic is one of the strengths of the Civ 6 design. Great people? Unique abilities (except for prophets, and that's a whole other conversation, and writers, a less contentious topic). City states? Unique suzerain abilities. Major civs? Multiple distinguishing factors.

I personally wish they had thrown in some of those qualities.

I was talking about the players, not the leaders.

I personally wish they had thrown in some of those qualities. I would love to play against the Hitlers and Stalins of history. I've never been a fan of having history 'cleaned up' for me.

Teddy already has the racist angle covered...

I don’t go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I
believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn’t like to inquire too closely into
the case of the tenth.

The most vicious cowboy has more moral principle than the average Indian.

The wearing of short hair by the males will be a great step in advance and will
certainly hasten their progress towards civilization.

Roosevelt stressed that: Indian education should be "elementary and largely
industrial," and that the need of higher education was “very, very limited.”

I've never been a fan of having history 'cleaned up' for me.

Just give me the facts, sir, just the facts.

The fact is that most history books contain few facts apart from
some dates and places. Get an almanac if you want facts. :)

City building...led by the inclusion of districts is a home run. As are governors- but they need to be expanded and exploited and even more immersive. Now if they can do something similar with great people and events they could very well have people forgetting the glory of the past iterations. Give me back the unit AI of Civ5 while you are at it.

For me, the best thing about Civilization VI is the sheer numbers of traders you can have in the game. I just love traders, and the limited numbers we have in Civ V is just limiting. Now if only they would make it tied to city's population like in Civ:BE instead of markets and lighthouses
And also:
1. Gitarja's Indonesia. Finally a religious naval civ that can conquer the world satisfactory. It's so Indonesia.
2. Automatic road building.
3. Neighborhood! Really, good tile fillers, now even better with shopping malls and food markets.

what I really hate:

1. District costs. REALLY, FIRAXIS?

other aspects are fine.

Always funny that Zulu warmongering is often accompanied by their happy music, it's great music though.

Yup. The Zulu music is awesome. (I also love The Cree music). The soundtrack in Civ VI is definitely a series high esp. in R&F. Really, it's the best part of the expansion (and Civ VI IMO).

For me the best game music was Tropico 2, which I played quite young. I think it really influenced my tastes and gave me love of cuban latin music. Subsequent titles never quite topped the awesome soundtrack of Tropico 2 but Tropico 6 sounds great so far and may come second IDK.

I agree with a lot of the comments here, however, the single one thing Civ6 did NOT get right, is this: They launched without a world builder. A finished world builder atleast. That should imo be an absolute minimun requirement in order to launch a new civ game.

I agree with isau that the variety in Civ6 is terrific.
That great variety of civs, city-states, terrain, wonders and great people makes
for an extremely complex game when playing against more than 25 other civs on
ludicrous (200x100) maps. AI flaws and defects become inconsequential in games
at epic and marathon pace. (I have no interest in what the game is like for
others who play on smaller maps at different pace and against fewer opponents.
Some games don't end up suiting huge swathes of people. Tough luck for them, but
good luck for me and my family and friends.
So the part where the ai sucks at combat is magically erased when I add 25 civs to the game? To they all put their power together? Enlighten me on how this is the perfect set of settings.

I agree with isau that the variety in Civ6 is terrific.
That great variety of civs, city-states, terrain, wonders and great people makes
for an extremely complex game when playing against more than 25 other civs on
ludicrous (200x100) maps.

I don't agree with your isau that variety in Civ6 is terrific!
Leaders are ONLY male and female, no aborygens, no transgender people, the list goes on.
I hope we will have like 200-300 leaders in Civ 7.

GREAT PEOPLE got very very poor variety.
Their biographies are cool.
We can read their biographies and have that epic feeling that we actually learn something. Some comrades players may even have a feeling of reading a book / learning history! Biographies are good .
But variety is not.
Politicization and cultorozation and diverzifization of Great People, in partricular Great Scientists , Writers, Engineers and Merchants is very, VERY poor, comrade.
Albert Einstein is boring, but he is in a game. I never recruit him, he is not diversed. I want great scientist from Kongo!
I can't get any great people from Kongo in my games. I will say it streigt - whole Great People system is not politizized enough and is RACIST.

This game is islamofobic, also. Look at great people!
You can have this fasci feeling that Islam and Arabic World stopped in 1300 AD or something ! Like ballisticks were the last muslim achievement!
Thanks God for Abdus Salam, he is was "the first muslim to win Nobel Prize" ,
they also may have put Osama ibn Laden as Great General, but still....yes, I think I can say it....this game is ISLAMOFOBIC.

Firaxis turns a blind eye on a huge problem of terrorism in the world. Ancient leaders talk about Global Warming if I cut some forest in medival age, but they dont talk about terrorism!
I hope in Civ 6 it will be possible to hit Big Ben with my biplane.

Variety of terrain is not terrific.
Its boring. Hills, forests, ocean tiles - I had it in Civilization 1 already, so im really bored with terrain.

City-states are cool, and I mean really! cool! And they have different colours!

Wonders are very good, but we need more, more , and more diversed.

Oh, Civilization 6 is "extremely complex".
Yes, its so sooooo extreme - you have to know how to count from 1 to 6 , or maybe even ( if you play on DEIGHTY)
from one to 10!
Its extreme,man . You count " one,two,three" , and you have to click your mouse in THE SAME TIME.

This game is so complex. Its good to have AT LEAST 90 IQ to play this extreme game.
Extreme maps can make your head explode , you have to use 95-99% of your brain power.
You have to count " 1-2-3-4-5-" for 1-2-3-4-5 times and memorize results.
So I agree.
Without perfect counting 1-10 skills, dont try to play Cilvilization VI !

click-click-click-click-"oooh, this colours and diversity"-click-click-click-click

Firaxis didn't back down
but gave them another hefty poke in the eye. Well done, comrades!

One more Moderator Action: <SNIP> .
Sorry for getting emotional on this, but a game Civilization was ,in some way, a part of my life for about 15-16 years now.
I just care about THIS GAME.
So I will call you an dumb idiot with low/average IQ

"gave them another hefty poke in the eye"
you Moderator Action: <SNIP> idiot. Go, take your comrades and GET THE Moderator Action: <SNIP> OFF FROM THIS GAME

Movies ruined. Art ruined. Culture ruined. And now this game, also , ruined. Some idiot on forum demanding more.
Times of Great Idiots. Dark Era.
Fall of Cilization.

Moderator Action: Please do not evade the autocensor, inappropriate language removed. Also, do not troll by getting personal with other posters. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
So the part where the ai sucks at combat is magically erased when I add 25 civs to the game?

Only somebody who has trouble with comprehension would think that.

To they all put their power together? Enlighten me on how this is the perfect set of settings.

Your inadequate comprehension skills made you believe that I said it was perfect.
I didn't.

It's just a much better game when a mistake by one AI is not as significant.
Mistakes by one out of 8 civs, are far more significant than mistakes by one
out of 25, or more.

The YEILD and Is Medieval bugs are easy to fix and will give you a better game too.

I just care about THIS GAME.
So I will call you an dumb idiot with low/average IQ

Okie dokie.

"gave them another hefty poke in the eye"
you Moderator Action: <SNIP> idiot. Go, take your comrades and GET THE Moderator Action: <SNIP> OFF FROM THIS GAME

Didn't parse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom