1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Big Bang: Why is it still being taught?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by classical_hero, Mar 2, 2014.

1. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

We have spent many decades looking fr things such as "dark matter", "Dark energy" and other things that are basically fudge factors and violate known physics. Here are 21 questions about the Big bang that need to be answered. The first question is a religious question, so it is not included.
    http://creation.com/dark-matter-crisis-for-big-bang
    Spoiler :

Yet the one thing we have searched for the most is dark matter an yet there has observation of dark matter. No sign of dark matter in underground experiment
    LUX, the most sensitive dark matter detector yet, fails to capture mysterious particles.

2. Silurian

Silurian Deity

Because most people are not flat earthers

3. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

Because there's no evidence that god created the world and the big bang is the most logical theory so far.

4. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

The best answer.

Even with all of the mysteries left to figure out (of which Dark Matter and Energy really isn't one, that's a separate thing), The Big Bang is still a much better explanation than any other, religious or otherwise.

5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Why use that dumb tv show in any class? ;)

Re the theory: i have only looked a little into physics (apart from the stuff in highschool), and also talked to some physics students at the unis here, and it does seem that theory is a dead-end, cause they cannot get to a "zero point" anyway using the current models on which the theory supposedly owes its existence. I suppose that at some point it is going to be given up, when a theory which presents clearly the need to view infinity with new complexities and models slowly takes over.

Of course the possible demise of the "big bang" (what a stupid name, btw) theory, does not have to do anything with a god or other such stuff being in the new theories to replace it.

6. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

7. Silurian

Silurian Deity

It took 48 years to find experimental evidence for the Higgs Boson.

Dark matter may take longer or they may come up with a better Idea.

8. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

What's your proposed alternative? The book of Genesis, since that clearly doesn't violate known physics?

9. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Deity

Because that's how science works, they come up with a theory based upon the best evidence they have at the moment, and then they continue to research it to see if they can find more support or ultimately disprove it. They dont just toss out an entire theory and shrug their shoulders when at the moment its not 100% nailed down. We still have tons of questions on how gravity works, that doesnt mean we just toss the whole idea out the window. It is the best idea we have at the moment, and as such it will continue to be researched until its disproven or evidence more solidly suggests a different idea.

10. useless

god did it

in six days

which is clearly rational and doesn't violate any known laws because

11. Dawgphood001

Dawgphood001 The Professional Poster

I suspect Classical Hero might be among these fine people.

"hai gaiz i gona use scienz to disproov seyenz!"

12. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Prince

The german cosmologist Christof Wetterich proposes a promising alternative that has no inherent flaws, according to theoreticians:

Cosmologist claims Universe may not be expanding
    Paper

Basically he proposes the universe is not expanding, instead a so-called "Cosmon field" leads to all elementary particles increasing in mass over time. This explains the red-shift of far-away galaxies: we observe the light that has been emitted by them billions of years ago, when they still had lower masses and thus emitted in lower frequencies. Sounds very interesting and shows that alternatives to big bang should always be pursuited. And by alternatives i mean reasonable alternatives.

13. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

My favorite was: "How do you explain a sunset if their [sic] is no God?"

but they're all pretty ridiculous

14. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Deity

Religious fanatics try to act like the uncertainty inherent in science is a bad thing when in fact it is a great strength. Science isnt stagnant, a negative result isnt bad, its a new direction to look into.

15. useless

Amazing

for what purpose does a rabbit exist on earth other than to find salvation in a god it cannot comprehend

16. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

She forgot there's no salvation for people with lip piercings

17. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I keep hearing things like that all the time.

"I don't understand how it works, so God did it."
    "This thing is amazing and works in a way unimaginable, and there is no explanation, clearly it must be designed."
    "A scientist is trying to explain how something works. He is wrong and ruining the mystery of everything."

18. useless

zack didn't you know the world is 6000 years old despite all the evidence saying otherwise

checkmate science

- posted from my blackberry that i got on christmas from a relative

19. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

This one is particularly amusing, since the earth and humans are both pretty flawed "creations".

20. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

I think a part of my response in the previous thread is useful here: