1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Big Gamble - new GMR G&K game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Onan, Jul 3, 2012.

1. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

It's probably due to the Steam open ID error, let's ask him if he wants the turn reverted back so he can make decision on whether to settle or move. Capital location is really important.

2. Islandia

Islandia King

Alright who is going to get tundra folklore? I think we're in an ice age.

3. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Ethiopia can annoy the world even he does not need tundra Folklore that much:p

4. Onan

Onan Dad

I have emailed Wyrda via this forum about the game, on the off chance he set up no email notifications here or via GMR.

If we've lost a player already, what do people want to do? Options seem to be: play with one AI; see if we can get the devs to take his civ out altogether, if possible; see if it's possible to sub someone else in, again with dev help. Both of the first two options tend to imbalance the game and favor players left with either crappy AI or extra land to expand into.

5. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

To the name of the game: big gamble. The RNG god decides to give his neighbors better chance this time, artificial interference will upset the god:)

6. LostKnight

LostKnight A wandering knight

I agree, I say lets have an AI, and beat the crap out of it!

7. JakeAlmighty

JakeAlmighty Chieftain

I have to vote for a sub if he doesn't come back. That much free land for his neighbor is a game winning advantage.

8. Foffaren

Foffaren King

It's still more fun with actual players. If I have to pick, I'd rather have a new player.

9. Onan

Onan Dad

well, don't know if it's possible with a game in progress--certainly not without help.

The one definite way to get a new player that we know will work is to start the game over. :(

10. JakeAlmighty

JakeAlmighty Chieftain

I'd rather restart if we can't sub somebody in. It's a long game to play and we've only taken a few turns.

11. Foffaren

Foffaren King

Didn't we talk about replacing people when species said he had to surrender in speed-optimized? What was the outcome of that discussion? Apart from the complete destruction of the indian empire.

12. Islandia

Islandia King

Maybe LuciferKid will want to sub if we can get some help? He's not long for the Speed game since he's down to 1 archer, 2 cities. I'm sure he wants some revenge from that. Maybe mastermel can sub him in if he agrees since he would also fit into the correct time slot too.

Alternatively if that doesn't work I would suggest a restart since it is annoying having an AI this early in the game.

13. m4stermel

m4stermel Giant Multiplayer Robot

It's a very simple matter for us to substitute a player into a game, replacing either a human player or even an AI. I am in favor of doing that over playing the game with AI. Just let me know what we want to do :)

14. Onan

Onan Dad

Good idea, Is. I didn't know it was so easy, Mel--that's great!

I've posted an invite for him in the Speed thread. If he accepts it, we should also probably revert the turns back to the start, unless he is happy with his settle spot, etc. let's see if he takes up the offer or not.

15. TiVO

TiVO Chieftain

Hey, if your friend isn't available, and y'all don't mind playing with a newb, I'd kinda like to dip my toes into the MP waters.

16. Onan

Onan Dad

That could be an option. And if you're in Texas, you shouldn't be too far off, time zone wise.

Have you played any GMR games yet? This game, realistically, is expected to take over a year to complete. It's the biggest one I've tried yet. And there are some war mongers, too, who might eat you up! But then I expect there are some other, less MP experienced players as well...and some too that aspire to quaint notions like 'justice'. :)

17. TiVO

TiVO Chieftain

I've not played a GMR (or any MP game for that matter), but I was expecting that this would be a lengthy time commitment, which I'm fine with (though there will be a week in Oct when I'll be afk). But if the warmongers eat me up, I don't really have to worry about that, do I? ;)

It won't hurt my feelings, however, if you're looking for a more experienced player. :)

18. Onan

Onan Dad

How much SP, civ 5, other civ, and other strategy game experience do you have?

I sound like I'm doing a job interview, huh? With questions I didn't ask any o f the others in here.

I'm inclined to say yes, come join us. Do you want a fresh start, or are you happy with the AI having settled your capital and played turn two also? Easy either way.

Mel, can you make it so? TiVo, do you have a different steam name, got GMR already?

Looking forward to getting our game back on track, thanks for helping us out, and welcome aboard! :)

19. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

I'm in . I can replace the player that went away .

20. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

I think we've never withdrawn the offer so Khan should replace the sub. Not that I'm against new player but we can host other game for TiVo later. This game is too big that we need reliable proved player like Khan :)