The Birtish! The British are here!!!

Mozenwrath

Warlord
The British are FINALLY HERE!!! And before the Americans! Oh, things couldn't be better than this! Everypne VISIT CIV3.COM NOW!!!!!! RULE BRITANNIA!:D :D :D

Unique Unit: the Man O'War

By the middle of the 17th century cannons arrayed along the sides of fighting ships had become the decisive weapon of naval warfare. Heavy guns required a gun deck and a short, sturdy hull, which were at odds with the galley's requirements of lightness and length. The late Elizabethan galleon that became the true man-o-war class reached its culmination in England's Prince Royal of 1610 and the larger Sovereign of the Seas of 1637, mounting guns on three decks; the Sovereign of the Seas, the most formidable ship afloat in its time, carried 100 guns. By the mid-1700s, great ships-of-the-line such as the British Victory and French L'Orient dominated naval warfare, and would continue to do so until the advent of the ironclad.

The Man O'War is an upgraded version of the frigate. Like the frigate, it requires iron and saltpeter to build, but its heavier guns give it upgraded attack and bombard ratings, which make it a more formidable vessel.

Attack/Defence/Movement/Bombard Strength/Bombard Range/Rate of Fire
Standard Frigate 2 2 4 2 1 2
English Man O' War 3 2 4 3 1 2

I think the Man'o'War looks like a pretty kickass unit! Bombardment sandwiches anyone? Does anyone else share\disagree with my view. The only thing is, in Civ2, the time when you used the frigates and galleons seemed to pass really quickly as soon as you discovered steam engine. i hope this is not so in Civ3 cos it would really make the Man'o'War a bit worthless.

Mozenwrath:

Don't forget... You now have to have coal to use anything steam powered... I didn't have any last night...
(coal that is....) :)
ARRRRRRRRG!!! :) :)

Top Bottom