1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Black Tower

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Official Scenarios' started by Kael, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I guess I won't be able to finish the game. I ended with a CTD last time I played. I reloaded the save and the CTD has occurred 4 times now. As soon as my stack tries to attack one of Hyborems cities I get a CTD. I am attacing the save game file which has the CTD and the broken plot with "Defeat Terbryn" listed even though she is gone.

Attached Files:

2. Vitek

Vitek Chieftain

I just got event that Sheim has shown mercy with my troops. I believe this one can force peace with one option. Doesn't belong into scenarios I think. Rather not tried it though.

3. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Emperor

If you select it you go to peace for half a turn and then right back to war. It was interesting in my game, one of the Sheim had landed troops on my land, and I got the event and accepted peace. The units were booted off the island and then we went back to war again, haha.

4. bonedog

bonedog Chieftain

I had that event happen to me as well. I seem to remember it being from vanilla Civ4, but at the time I thought it was an intentional triggered event for the scenario so I decided to accept the peace offer... and the deal was immediately cancelled! Talk about your short-lived cease-fires...

5. BroncoFan1407

BroncoFan1407 Chieftain

I started this scenario playing on patch L and even at year 132 could not build any units! I quit and installed patch o (since with no units I imagine it would be a little harder!) and will continue trying, did this happen to anyone else?

6. westamastaflash

westamastaflash Lord Commander

FYI - Tebryn is a "He", as far as I know.

7. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Thanks, I figured that out later. With a name like Tebryn, he must be at least partly gender confused. That is probably part of why he wants to destroy the world. After getting beat up in highschool he decided that he hated everyone and wanted to send them to Dis as Manes.

8. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Tebryn is actually a pseudonym he used after Ceridwen brought him back to like. His real name is Ram. When I play as him I typically use the name Ram the Damned.

9. Nameless One

Nameless One Endarkened Despot

Is the flood of Tebryn's Crossbowmen intended in this scenario? I think that, as per scenario rules, every living Archery unit that dies is reborn as Demonic Crossbowmen (the strongest Archery unit) under Tebryn's controll. Since his team is now on the tech level where AI mostly goes for Arquebuses, I think they are all being reborn as Crossbowmen.

Wouldn't it be more manageable if living units were reborn as the same units that they were when they died?

10. rief_s

rief_s Chieftain

It is. The problem is AI mostly goes for Arquebuses and Arquebuses is Tier 4 :(.

11. Love

Love Deity

Two things.

Completed splintered court, can't select svalts.

Oh and hyborem still exists, even though i killed him in radiant guard

12. Kael

Kael Deity

Gotta defeat Hyborem in Lord of the Balors to kick him out.

13. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

BUT you forgot to mention that :mischief: it isn't officially unlocked yet...

14. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

You can still play it though, if you open C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets\XML\Scenarios\Lord of the Balors.CivBeyondSwordWBSave directly.

15. BiffQJ

BiffQJ Warlord

Ok, maybe I'm totally missing something, but how do you build pirate's coves? My workers (even the ones built in the lanun city that I have) can't build them...

16. Kenjister

Kenjister Swimmer

You build them on coast using workboats. It consumes the unit and you can't have them less than 3 spaces from each other. In an earlier version they were built using workers and terraformed the coastline though.

17. BiffQJ

BiffQJ Warlord

Ah, got it. I think I must have missed that change (from workers to work boats). Thanks!

18. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

I enjoyed this scenario a lot, it got a bit scary at the end though when every time I killed a Sheaim unit got reborn as a demon but over all it was pretty fun.

19. bluedevil99

bluedevil99 Warlord

I had the same issue as others with not being able to select either elven civ despite beating the Splintered Court.

I like that the starting island is big enough that you can conceivably complete the scenario without expanding onto other continents, but small enough to create a real incentive for settling cities you have to defend.

Regarding national units, are you supposed to be able to build 4 for each civ type (e.g., 4 lanun knights, 4 hippus knights, etc.)? I didn't really get to play with this since Stygians were working so well, but am seriously considering replaying this scenario on Immortal or (*shudder*) Diety.

I thought it would be cool to have other objectives on the map to discover, e.g. another civ you could find any ally with provided you rescue them from one of Tebryn's cronies. Or even a source of healing salves to patch up those human units. You know, something to make it feel like you have to look around and unravel the 'secrets' of the Black Tower rather than just a straight contest of arms.

Overall this was a terrific scenario. My tier 3 units have never feared Pyre Zombies like that before!

20. MondSemmel

MondSemmel Chieftain

I think no one posted this yet, but there aren't nearly enough rivers on the map. The island to the southwest has no rivers at all (I think), which really handicaps that spot; more importantly, Tebryn's starting location consists almost entirely of broken lands with no rivers (and therefore basically no commerce or, in fact, any good tiles). Hyborem may be similarly handicapped.
    Like the player's own starting location, no rivers or fresh water also mean no farms...and that's a pretty cruel handicap.