The Brazilian Purity Alien proxy war strategy

Dargoth

Warlord
Just watched the Brazilian walkthrough video again and thought of a great strategy for Brazilia.

Load out

Brazilia
Unique ability: Improved Melee units
Colonists: Mercenaries (Better military)
Spaceship bonus: Lifeform detector (Tells you where the bugs are)
Cargo: Weapons arsenal

You do what Pete did in the first run through of the demo and slaughter all the native wildlife.

The Hostile alien thing is apprently global so it will effect factions on the otherside of the world.

This gives the following bonus

*It allows you to stir up trouble for your rivials (no mater where they are)

*It will particularly the growth of non Military Factions as they will loose workers and explorers to the enraged bugs (they may even be wiped out)

*Brazilian Military units gain veterancy faster (Faster still if you choose the Might trait)

*If you choose Scavenging you get Energy from killing bugs making you richer.

*This all happans without you taking a Diplomacy penalty as you arent attacking them

-On the down side you will deal with more alien attacks but so will your rivials and with a Military faction and with stronger units thanks to all the bugs you killed to cause the problem you will still come out ahead (Event better if you manage to wipe all the Hives out on your island contient.

Admitedly they can build the Ultrasonic fence around there settlements to protect them but the aliens will still attack them outisde of that 2 hex radius and it will the growth (Getting pods, Performing experditions etc)

What do you think?

I think the designers are smart enough to prevent sure fire winning strategies. They said so much that they wanted many equivalent routes to victory.

Yeah the thing Pete pointed out with that strategy was doing so would cause the siege worms to start spawning sooner than you can handle them. In other words, those leveled up marines you have from all the bug killing, they're gonna die if you don't have enough of them to kill the harder aliens. It's possible this strategy could entirely backfire on you, depending on how the aliens behave and how quickly they progress to harder aliens.

There are no Mercenaries (colonists that give better military)
Also...we don't know if the aliens will react exactly the same to all factions regardless of location or affinity. (Killing an alien will make all aliens hate all humans some... But they might hate you more)
otherwise good strategy.

Probably a viable early game strategy.

But in the late game, harmony players can actually recruit aliens, so you'll just end up feeding your opponents more troops.

The alien hostility may be global but isn't it faction specific? So if you as Brasilia piss off the aliens they will attack you everywhere but will not necessarily attack other factions.

Sounds like an interesting early game strategy. Especially when you arrive first - then the other factions will land with the bugs being already hostile.

The alien hostility may be global but isn't it faction specific? So if you as Brasilia piss off the aliens they will attack you everywhere but will not necessarily attack other factions.

Right at the start of the twitch video he says that making the aliens hostile makes them hostile to all humans on the planet

"There are no Mercenaries (colonists that give better military)
Also...we don't know if the aliens will react exactly the same to all factions regardless of location or affinity. (Killing an alien will make all aliens hate all humans some... But they might hate you more)
otherwise good strategy."

According to Bites features thread at the top of the forum there is

"Yeah the thing Pete pointed out with that strategy was doing so would cause the siege worms to start spawning sooner than you can handle them. In other words, those leveled up marines you have from all the bug killing, they're gonna die if you don't have enough of them to kill the harder aliens. It's possible this strategy could entirely backfire on you, depending on how the aliens behave and how quickly they progress to harder aliens."

Once youve got a ultraSonic fence it looks like the Siege worms cant touch you (going off Petes comments again) as they cant come within 2 hexes of a base which has a Ultrasonic wall (ecology) and infact unless theres a ranged alien that can shoot 3 hexs then ur cities can be hurt by ANY Alien when you have an Ultrasonic fence

The people who would suffer the most from this would be the LATE arrivals as they would be landing with minimal infrastructure and green units vs a swarming alien horde thats will attack them on sight

*This all happans without you taking a Diplomacy penalty as you arent attacking them

This interview says that if you're provoking the aliens and they end up attacking other people's settlements, they're going to complain (much like they complain if you settle in "their" lands).

But it sounds like an interesting strategy, specially if you like to see the world burn. It should work if you can deal with the fire.

This interview says that if you're provoking the aliens and they end up attacking other people's settlements, they're going to complain (much like they complain if you settle in "their" lands).

But it sounds like an interesting strategy, specially if you like to see the world burn. It should work if you can deal with the fire.

Which interview said that the other factions complain?

I thought the late arrivals started with extra units and resources to compensate. If that is the case, they wouldn't -that- behind when facing a now hostile fauna. That said, I'm sure there's a viable strat somewhere in this line of thought :) We just can't now all the details yet.

I was thinking that particularly on that map they were on that was filled with chokepoints - it'd be fairly easy to completely clear out a nice little safe peninsula, then the aliens would end up swarming right on top of anyone who arrives later to choke you off.

Which interview said that the other factions complain?

This one.

PC Gamer: Have you taken another look at diplomacy? How will interacting with other factions work?

David McDonough: Diplomacy fundamentally is the same as in traditional civ when you call them up and you talk about whatever it is you want to talk about, but there's a lot more to talk about. In addition to where you're settling and where your borders are, there's your attitude towards the aliens, you're riling them up and attacking my settlements, or there's a lot more covert ops, there's black hat ways to undermine your diplomatic relations. There's the orbital layer, 'don't put sattelites over my territory', and there's the divergence of affinity.

The text is a bit clumsy because it seems to be an unreviewed transcript, but its information has been reliable.

The strategy sounds viable, but I just thought: if alien hostility is global, then there is no reasonable way to treat aliens as non-barbarians. Sure, I am playing harmonic Elodie and stay out of bugs, but then my good neighbors Reginaldo and Vadim decided to go purity, slaughtering all bugs they could. Ergo, my Elodie is now surrounded by red-hostile bugs. Even if aggressors are supposed to take the brunt of Siege Worms upon their heads, everyone will be dragged into war with aliens, probably every game.

The strategy sounds viable, but I just thought: if alien hostility is global, then there is no reasonable way to treat aliens as non-barbarians. Sure, I am playing harmonic Elodie and stay out of bugs, but then my good neighbors Reginaldo and Vadim decided to go purity, slaughtering all bugs they could. Ergo, my Elodie is now surrounded by red-hostile bugs. Even if aggressors are supposed to take the brunt of Siege Worms upon their heads, everyone will be dragged into war with aliens, probably every game.

That depends on how fast the aliens get hostile...Perhaps only 2 factions going full exterminator would not be too much of a problem (especially with fences)

Yeah, that's my worry about the global nature of alien hostility, but if I had to guess, I'd say Harmony levels make you progressively immune to rampaging creatures. And maybe by the latter levels you can actually incite and use them against your xenocidal enemies. Perhaps even boosting their effectiveness in some way while remaining completely safe from them yourself.

Then surely the two exterminators would have a massive advantage: they could slaughter aliens all day without making them angry.

The aliens would get angry... But not so fast that other civs could not deal with it.

Top Bottom