[MOD] Civ 4: Age of Trade Development Thread

CyprusTree123

Chieftain
(Old) Hi, I am new to civ 4 modding and have wanted to create a scenario for sometime and I am now getting round to do it. This scenario takes place in the Mediterranean during the bronze age around the time of the Minoans and Myceneans. I have got a descent start but I have a much bigger picture in mind like custom wonders. I would like the mod to be semi accurate to history but still have the freedom to do stuff differently Unfortunately I don't have much modding knowledge and I could use some help. If you want to help it would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
:dance: Bronze Age Mediterranean, wooohooo~!! :dance:

Custom Wonders will be cool. Do you have any particular ones in mind? You've probably seen by now that CIV4 Gold Revived has tons of art for wonders (in the folders "Gigapack" and "Megapack"), so that's a good place to start.

There's also Pie's Ancient Europe VI Mod, by pie_at:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/pae-vi.640185/
https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-ancient-europe.494/

And for civs you mentioned Egypt, Babylon, Minoa, Mycenae, and Phoenicia. Are there any other civs you'd like to add?

Congrats on taking your first steps in modding, CyprusTree. Bronze Age Med is definitely a fan favorite, so I hope others will come along to join the fun :goodjob:

:thumbsup: Thanks!
Just curious how do you turn a scenario into a download link or file
I was thinking maybe for the Minoans I could replace the monument with the bulls horn thing
Also maybe the Hittites and I might remove the Babylonians and replace them with the Phoenicians.
download.jpg
I am going on a trip tomorrow for about 4 weeks so if I don't reply that's why.

Last edited:
Just curious how do you turn a scenario into a download link or file
If you simply want to post a file, you can zip up any file under 100 mb and drag-n-drop it into a post. Or do you mean for uploading to the Database? I uhm, haven't tried that yet :hammer2:but it looks like you can go to the Civ4 Downloads section and click on the blue rectangular button in the upper right that says "Add Resource":

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/categories/civilization-iv-downloads.1/

I agree that Hittites should be included (there's a nice version in CIV4 Gold), and yeah, Babylonians are sooo ancient history for your timeline, they could probably be dropped. Do you know how to do that in the xml?

The "bulls horn thing" is a great idea! :king: I hope you don't mind, I went ahead and requested assistance in the Graphical Modification Requests thread: Horns of Consecration. This is a good place to ask about non-unit art.

Have fun on your (summer?) vacation! :cool:

Before I go here is the latest version of the scenario. I have yet to add the other civs from other mods.
Lets call it 0.1 Beta
Also when I put the files for the Hittites and Phoenicians when ever I select them the game crashes.

Attachments

• Bronze Age Mediterranean.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Hey CyprusTree, good idea to upload this. Sorry, I haven't had a moment yet to take a look. The crash is most likely due to XML. Modular civs are nice, but sometimes you need to adjust xml depending on your scenario / mod. Knowledge of xml will be crucial for what you want to do. It can be a little challenging to learn, but once you've learned it, it's super duper easy.

It might be best to go over the xml when you get back from your trip. I also hope by then that someone else with Scenario experience will see this thread and offer help. The more the merrier and such :)

Update: hrochland has made the Horns of Consecration :goodjob:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...burj-al-arab-etc.185303/page-78#post-16306701

Last edited:
I have a much bigger picture in mind like custom wonders.
If you need movies for them, contact me. I already have made a lot of wonder movies (see my signature) and if I get enough excited about an idea I will try to do your wish as well :)

Hi, I am in Italy but that won't stop me from replying. I had a couple ideas for wonders like the lions gate that would require a wall to be built before you could build it. I also think it would be good to take the realism Invictus route and have each civ has more than one unique building and unit.

If possible I would like to add a feature from I think civ 3 where your ship could go into deep water but had a chance of getting lost at sea. This would add a lot of realism because in a normal game you would have to wait to later in the game to cross deep water.

More than one UU and UB sounds good. Ah, retro is good too: "Your unit has been lost at sea!" I'd be surprised if someone hasn't coded that yet. Beyond my abilities unfortunately, so you might want to ask in the SDK / Python thread. Or maybe ask Nexus :*poke*:

Civ5 has a Wonders of the Ancient World scenario, and I thought the Lion's Gate might be distinctive... but big fat NOPE. It looks like generic walls. You can always get some concept art together and post a request in the Graphics Modification Requests Thread like I did for the Horns.

Civ5 Lion's Gate (maybe generic).png

Ah, retro is good too: "Your unit has been lost at sea!" I'd be surprised if someone hasn't coded that yet. Beyond my abilities unfortunately, so you might want to ask in the SDK / Python thread. Or maybe ask Nexus :*poke*:
Me?! :crazyeye:
Well, AND2 / CoM has something similar but you better ask the C++/Python guys.

I made a thread on the SDK / Python about it I keep you updated. I had another idea. It would make sense to make a new city style? Don't know what you call it, for the Minoans and Mycenaeans and same with units like workers, settlers, and warriors.
The Minoans and Mycenaeans had very similar culture so we can use the same style for both.

This Scenario will now be part of a larger mod called The Bronze Sword the goal of the mod is to see what another Civ 4 expansion would look like.

Thanks also do you if there is a way to get the cities declaring independence and civil wars from Ryhe's fall of civilization

do you if there is a way to get the cities declaring independence and civil wars from Ryhe's fall of civilization

This is the canonical version (RevDCM)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/authors/glider1.92261/

These are revolutions with additional factors of insurrection + the transfer of the garrison to the rebels

These are riots from hunger and misfortune with the transition of the city to a barbaric status

Top Bottom