1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Brothers Material

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by Duke Blackstone, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Duke Blackstone

Duke Blackstone John Marchman

When the Monks of Magma were formed, they embraced ancient metals from the earth such as iron, bronze, gold, and silver. As these were all products of the forge, gems were included. Although these materials made for dangerous armies, there was no powerful city base. So the Brothers Material are Born, of Marble, Stone, and Granite. We are the builders, the masons of society, the engineers. For all recourses that enhance growth and production we stand. From Marble to Horse to Ivory, our armies are joined in a clan alliance with all brothers that embrace recourses. We shall be the most powerful cult in this new civilization.

Enrollment

Thy clan is based on a democratic republic. You choose your preferred resource and, if you have called it first, are an Abbot of the Material. Each material has its own name for its Abbot, listed below along with the guild names of the members of each order. The High Brother, known as the Celebrant, is chosen from the Abbot of each material, by a vote. Each member is valued and asked to participate in all decisions, but the high Celebrant has the final call unless three fourths of the brothers disagree with his judgment.

Thy Brothers Material

Brother Marble, the Brother of Pillar, "Seekers of Enlightenment"
    Brother Stone, the Brother of Highwall, “Those Smoking thy Weed, Seekers of Power”
    Brother Granite, the Brother of Change, "Brothers of the Shifting Stone"
    Sister Horse, the Sister Death, the “Keepers of the Wind”
    Sister Ivory, the White Sister, “Keepers of the Living Stone”

May the Great Cities of thy Brothers Last until the End of Civilization!!!

2. pat123

pat123 Warlord

I can't say I get your names, especially for Stone. Take ivory. How is Ivory related to life? Since when is coal a "male enhancer"? Oh well, ur guild. Power to the Stone(d)!!

3. Duke Blackstone

Its a rough draft, names can change... Anyone who chooses to join can change it. And after granite I ran out of ideas :mischief:

4. Ballazic

Ballazic King

Can I be the brother of Oil

5. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Good initiative :), I really liked this. However, I think we need to reserve oil, aluminum, oil and coal for a future order, since this is directed at finds during the early terms, and part of a guessing game. Brothers Material would be wise to cover the early materials important, and we work out a new plan for how to handle industrial materials/metals later.

Marble
    Stone
    Granite
    Horse
    Ivory

would still be five Abbots, matching the number of lead Monks in the Monks of Magma. ;) 5+ 5 = 10.

We figure out something later for the industrial metals/materials.

6. pat123

pat123 Warlord

I think Marble's name is fine. But I do have an idea for granite: The Holders of the Changing Stone; Granite is a metamorphosis rock, I believe, so there you go! For Horses, "Keepers of the Living Wind"? and Ivory, "Keepers of the Living Stone"? (Sorry, I just made Ivory up on the spot.)

7. Duke Blackstone

Agreed :( ... However I did steal a glance at what the church of g, those brothers of pleasure, call a manual. I neglated a small alliance with them in exchange for a chance to study it. So although I do not know the purpose or essence of these materials, I know they exist. But I agree that these should not be brotherhoods until we learn more about them. Balsyic, ur welcome to choose a new material, our I will reserve oil for you. And I agree pat, I like some of your names better, I'll change the charter

8. Provolution

For example, uranium and aluminum are only found by some seriously advanced metallurgy and physical techniques.

Oil is just a liquid with no mass application at this time, Coal is not yet considered a resource, so please keep all of these out, also for reservation purposes.

9. Duke Blackstone

Pitch (coal) and "black water" (oil). Oil is known to burn, has been known to burn since the begining. Same for pitch. You just cant use it for machenery until you discover combustion or steam pressure. But its not in character so I changed it

10. Provolution

oil and coal was both in use, but so was numerous other things in the ancient world. This game cover only a fraction of them.

We can have some great council over the issue when we get across the medieval era.

11. Duke Blackstone

agreed :) we can increase the brotherhood then if we wish. I'll take the compromise

12. pat123

pat123 Warlord

I'm just curious, does our guild wish to pursue any in-game objectives? I don't what those would be, but we may attract more members if we can offer some non-RP elements. Yah, horsey, yah!!

13. Duke Blackstone

Yes. Our objective is to dominate the civ, by creating political alliances, and also by founding massively productive cities, and then building massive armies of horse and elephants, taking cities and growing rich on the plunder from pilligeing of civilizations. And enemy fractions ;)

14. pat123

pat123 Warlord

I had an idea that would add something even more to our Brotherhood. Since we are a monastic order, or at least an off-shoot of one, we could "live" on the plots where are resources are! But since we are monks, we would not actually own any land. We simply would reside with our resource, working it and communing with our like-minded brothers.

Ex: I am the Abbot of Horses, so I would "live" in a monastery on the Horse pasture tile, along with any other horse monks who wish to renounce earthly posessions.

I was also thinking that, when we get mathematics, we could build a fort out in a unpopulated area. This would be the main monastery of the Brotherhood, where the Head Abbot would reside. From here, we could "train" monks in the way of their resource, so that when they move off to thier own tile they can be ready to utilize thier resource!

Obviously this is a very RP heavy idea, but I think it would serve to give our guild an in game sense of identity. Also, it could easily serve as a base for some excellent stories later on (Has anyone ever read "Seeker" or "Jango" ?).

What do you guys think?

P.S: Should Provolution wish to borrow this idea for his monks, he is more than welcome to. :D

15. Provolution

Thank you , I would like to borrow that idea, my monastery would be inside that iron mine, in a separate shaft filled up with furniture and so on, almost like a dungeon.

16. Duke Blackstone

Ahhhhh. I like, muy buano, pat, great idea. Point of clarification, real units in monestaries or citizens? If unit, which? Maby practical for cities to be "great monestaries", and train units there? Oh and who should we vote for prime fraction?? I saw you saying somthing bout triad, what do they stand for?

17. Oni of Chaos

Oni of Chaos The Barrel Roll Guy

I believe that aluminum was found but they didn't know how to refine it to be useful. Read the civpedia for more details, it explains well :goodjob:

18. pat123

pat123 Warlord

No units, at least in my original idea. But, now that I think about it, doesn't it say in the Warlords/Triad platform that all faction members will have a unit name after them? Well that unit could be the "monk" and reside on the resource. That way the resource is protected, and we monnks get our RP fix :D

BTW Duke, Here is what the Triad Coalition is all about!
    POWER TO THE TRIAD!! :rockon:

19. Duke Blackstone

Ok horsy boy. Props for triad by the way, looks like they won partly thanks to your recruting. :goodjob: See if you can get us an alliance with them, say, our and c-of-g's complete support (they already have bros magma) for future control of two cities with marble, and horse, and a monk unit. (Knight, Horse Archer, Or Elephant). Haha if we dont get more recruits soon we may just have to turn our brotherhood into a "monks" coalition base forum

20. pat123

pat123 Warlord

Two cities, as in we control production, etc ?(b/c I don't really see that happening :( ) Or two resource sites? As for the units, I don't see that being any problem. oh, and who does c of g represent?