1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bureau of Land Grants

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: RPG' started by Cyc, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Welcome to the Bureau of Land Grants (BLG). This office has been authorized to distribute the lands of our Kingdom by permission of our lord, dutchfire.

Using the maps below, I have divided up the King's land into parcels of 10 square miles each. They include the lands covered by our cultural borders and some soon to be included within these borders. Only land tiles within our cultural borders will be ceded to ciizens via Land Grants through this office. Each parcel (which we will call tile, henceforth) has been numbered. These numbers will remain with these tiles forever. (That's just forever, not forever and ever...) As our cultural borders grow, other tiles will be included in the King's land and those tiles will receive a number at that time.

To organize the distribution of these Land Grants, it has been decided that the King's Advisors and certain noblemen would receive the first Land Grants. PMs have been sent out to these people already, allowing them to request a Grant for the tile of their choice.

After this process has been completed, the program will expand and open up to all citizens who desire to be a Grantee. There are rules laid down by this office that pertain to the continued ownership/use/maintenance of a tile(s) in a Land Grant. The main rule (the only rule really) is that this Land Grant opens up an Role Playing (RP) thread for the Grantee. All Grantees much contribute to their tile RP by posting in the thread below their Land Grant certificate. To be more specific, I will start your RP thread for your land tile with a Land Grant Title. This certificate will cede the land tile and it's care to you. You will have the responsibility of seeing to the maintenance of the land, or the lack thereof, if that's what you wish. However, you must still start and develop an RP story for your tile. This is a requirement. Failure to do so may see you lose your Land Grant. Especially if someone else wants it.

Your RP story may be merely about you seeking (in a story-telling way) a road or irrigation for your tile from the Masters of Hammer and Plow. You can bring other players into your story. Interlace the different land tiles of other players into your RP. Start trading, start a feud, whatever you see fit. But it needs to be an on-going project (at least one decent post a week).

Enough for now. The maps with numbered tiles are posted below to make tile selection a little easier. These will be updated, time permitting.

Capital and surrounding areas:
    Spoiler :

West and Nothwest areas
    Spoiler :

New Land Grant Map
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

2. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

I would like to request tile 89.

3. Cyc

Welcome, King dutchfire. Your request is granted, my lord. Your's will be the first Grant posted.

4. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Tile 70 please :goodjob:

5. Cyc

Master of Hammer and Plow, fed1943, has contacted this office by way of personal messenger. He has requested a tile, but as English is his fourth language, would like help with the RP portion of the Land Grant. This office does hereby accept fed1943's conditional request for a tile containing Dyes close to the core of our nation, and grants tile number 3.

6. Cyc

Thank you for responding quickly, Joe Harker. Tile number 70 is yours.

7. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

I would like tile 87.

8. Cyc

A wise choice, Vandal Warlord. The town of New Giruvegan seems to be a popular place to own land. Tile number 87 is yours.

9. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Tile 26 please. Do we have to update our RP thread until the end of the DG?

10. Cyc

Hi, civplayah. Your name was not on the list of Advisors/Nobleman to receive a Land Grant. This would mean you would have to wait until the BLG program opens up for the public to participate.

But I did some digging in past threads and found where our prior King was going to make you the Head of Faith. That honor would raise your status and make you eligible for a Land Grant.

Have you received that honor? Or do you still need to follow up on it with dutchfire?

11. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Civplayah was nominated by Diamondeye, the head of the Protectors of Faith faction to be the head of faith while our faction, the APR (now the Arkadian Dynasty) remained in power. I agreed, and so it should be made a reality. I yield to King Duthfire to make it official.

As to tiles, I choose tile 17, as it will allow me to pursue some mercantile interests while also putting my family between Arkadia and Arete.

This land grant program is very well put together and a great start. Lord Civius has excellent ideas also about a player run economy when we get to that stage.

Keep up the great work!

~kwp

12. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Hmm, difficult choice! Tile 75 please.

13. Cyc

I have received word from above that you are indeed eligible for a Land Grant, civplayah. Tile #26 is yours. As far as updates, let's just get the ball rolling, and then who knows, you may wind up taking a mission to Spain to convert the population there. You would still have your Land Grant, but on a Leave of Absense. So to speak. We can play with relaxed rules when we want to.

And a good choice it is, DaveShack. A great place for maneuvers. Tile number 75 is yours.

Your wish is my command, m'lord. Tile 17 will be a prosperous one. May you and yours be happy and warm there.

14. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

I'm not Head of Faith, I'm Voice of Faith and Diamondeye's successor- if anything were to happen to him in the future. Diamondeye did ask me to be registered as Voice of Faith, but not Head of Faith. Does this still make me eligible?

15. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

OOC: Two points:
    stop granting Protector tiles (NG BFC) away. This causes some dismay among the faithful Protectors and is not great for our faction (APR).
    I request, although I won't be absolute, that Civplayah will be appointed steward of a tile of his wishing. I use the word steward because that is what we have done it in New Giruvegan. One cannot "own" land, merely look after it for the gods. I want him to have the final word himself, but I count on his modesty not to claim ownership of any tile.

16. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

I'm sorry, but with the education I have on the Arkadian laws, and from what I know about the inter-faction agreement between the APR and the PoF, the laws of the APR are in power, meaning that your idea of the land being the property of the Gods do not apply, as those laws fall out of the realm of the Religious Leader and into that of King Dutchfire.

It is also stated that guilds are highly encouraged to work under the government to "harness certain resources." With King Dutchfire's application and acceptance of a land grant, it would seem that the Bureau of Land Grants has become a politically recognized guild that falls completely within the APR's definition of a guild.

I of course, mean no harm, and my word is not the official word of his highness King Dutchfire or the APR, but please consider this.

I believe that the Bureau of Land Grants is completely legitimate and law abiding, however where this stand with the PoF or their alliance with the APR is not my field.

17. Cyc

Thank you gentlemen, for the two very good points of view.

This is the King's land. Agreements have been made and hands have been shaken (Cyc looks at the two men's avatars...hmm).

We are in the process of dealing with this volatile situation and believe we have made a good start in the right direction. Again, thank both of you for your concern.

18. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

Diamondeye, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

As far as i am aware the alliance between us means that you control religious affairs, not any of the lands that you previously had under the triad leadership

This is a section of the post that i base my conclusion on

Edit: Also you say in dutchfires thread the following

Would you like to produce that agreement in full, otherwise the quote at the top is part of the agreement made and doesn't specify that you keep your land.

19. Seidrik_The_Gray

Diamondeye has just stormed into the great hall with a retinue of three guardsmen loyal to the Faith. Civplayah is pleading his case before Cyc, who has suspended action for new land title claims. The nobles loyal to the Dynasty are beginning to get roudy, and shouting of their new rights and beginning to argue to whomever will listen. Dutchfire is looking at Seidrik with a stare that tells of many questions and suspicion. The King's guards form up infront of his thrown to block the approach of any person in the great hall. Seidrik clears his throat and bangs the bottom of his staff, the copper ball ringing on the marble floor.

Ahem...

If I may make one small criticism against myself and also master Cyc here, who has been so gracious and motivated as to begin this process.

This is a situation that is a little messy, and I apologize for my part in that.

I agree that some clarification as to the agreement that myself and Diamondeye entered into prior to the recent events needs to come forth into the light of day.

My understanding is as follows, and I would like to see either Civplayah and/or Diamondeye comment, but let's then make it official and publically known and in one document rather than spread over several letters as it is currently:
    Spoiler :
    1) Religious policies are their (Protectors of Faith) pervue.
    2) New Giruvegan has the most autonomy of any other city in our empire.
    3) Civplayah is the Voice of Faith, which means he is Diamondeye's voice in our faction, and the one charged with diplomacy and inter-faction dispute resolution.
    4) Lands within New Giruvegan's BFC are subject to NG's rules and bi-laws, as administered and determined by the Protectors of Faith, however, in-game, our faction controls everything, but must show a better than good faith effort of listening to their requests in terms of build orders.

When this land grant program was initiated by Cyc, I was in the throws of orchestrating my abdication and figuring out where this would land me in the affairs of the DG. I am not the King now, but I would strongly suggest that Dutchfire honor this agreement between our faction and theirs. In short, I did not alert Cyc of the potential problems stemming from the agreements brokered during the election to secure the Protectors of Faith's support.

I am in discussions now to iron out some of the sticky details, but here is what I would like to see on the table between all interested parties.

Spoiler :
    1) No further titles granted to anyone outside of the POF within the BFC of NG.
    2) Those who have been granted titles in the BFC of NG must sign an agreement to"
    a) Build a monument to the faith or shrine on said land prominent enough to be seen by visitors.
    b) Agree to abide by the RP laws of the POF for land use and such.
    c) Enter into an agreement to "share" the economic benefit of the tile with the POF.
    d) Agree to work with the POF appointed stewards as to the use of the land.
    3) Additionally, those who have already been granted land titles in the BFC of NG should also be permitted to claim another tile that they can then have total ownership of.
    4) I will arbitrate disputes between our factions with the help of Civplayah.

Again, it's a mess and one that we need to strive to get through, but not one that should drive a wedge between our factions.

/ooc:
    In game, our Dynasty is the power, except in terms of Religion.
    In RP, we share power in many different areas.

20. Seidrik_The_Gray

This is a great choice for a Great Lord of War. Let us hope that you are given the funds to secure a proud fortress there to protect the valuable iron deposits as well as the Northern pass connecting our lands to the Babylonians.