The BUY TWO COPIES of Civ 5 petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it matters. Steam has a well earned & excellent sales record, and chatter outside of the echo chamber that is the CivFanatic community is huge for this game. I'd be surprised if it doesn't set record sales for the series. Think back on the more popular (and more justified) Modern Warfare 2 boycott. Didn't affect a thing. A small group of ardent fans got upset about a relatively small change, and the larger community still bought the game in droves.

Take2's slaughter of the latest GTA comes to mind. No previewers mentioned needing to create a gta-network account, followed by a windowslive account (really? i need to create two accounts to play a game?). It was also promised to be 'the future of gaming'. So DX9 (when dx10 was already out, along with talk of 11) is the future, and windows live is the future. Why isnt windows live in civ5? Its the future of gaming!

Did GTA sell? Sure. Did MW2 sell? Sure. But i know a handful of people (irl) who bought these games who DONT play them now. They bought them cause they loved the previous games and thought there was no way for them to be a let down. Now, theyre coasters. Sure the company is happy, they got their money! But guess what? They wont be buying the next installment.

Take2, has taken2 game series from me, first gta, now civ.

Ill be buying no copies, so maybe someone else can join the petition and buy 4 copies, to include me. :lol:

Take2's slaughter of the latest GTA comes to mind. No previewers mentioned needing to create a gta-network account, followed by a windowslive account (really? i need to create two accounts to play a game?). It was also promised to be 'the future of gaming'. So DX9 (when dx10 was already out, along with talk of 11) is the future, and windows live is the future. Why isnt windows live in civ5? Its the future of gaming!

Did GTA sell? Sure. Did MW2 sell? Sure. But i know a handful of people (irl) who bought these games who DONT play them now. They bought them cause they loved the previous games and thought there was no way for them to be a let down. Now, theyre coasters. Sure the company is happy, they got their money! But guess what? They wont be buying the next installment.

Take2, has taken2 game series from me, first gta, now civ.

Ill be buying no copies, so maybe someone else can join the petition and buy 4 copies, to include me. :lol:

Sorry, but isn't it 2K, not T2 that owns Firaxis?? If so your pun is inapplicable.

If Firaxis crumbles, it's by their own fault. Civ:Rev was a hunk of crap that underperformed because it -was- a hunk of crap, and the Colonization remake didn't warrant the pricetag.
If Civ5's as bad as it looks, and it underperforms or outright flops? That's Firaxis's own fault.
I'm not buying two copies of a game just because the company that made it has made some awful decisions leading to financial issues.

Great idea OP.
I'll show this thread to all my CIV friends.

I'll hint this is their chance to make a believer out of me regarding CIV+Steam :lol:

I've always been planning to get a second copy, ever since my son fell in love with the copy of CivRev I brought home one day (mwa ha ha ha!) and then I showed him some videos of Civ V - he's super excited and we sit next to each other in the office, so it's going to be some fun Civ V multi-player action.

Buy two copies? This is a commercial product. If it needs charity to survive, then obviously it's a bad deal for the consumer.
I love this game, but.... money is money.

Moderator Action: Warning: The site has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to Piracy

Sorry, but isn't it 2K, not T2 that owns Firaxis?? If so your pun is inapplicable.

So you ignore the whole post and point out who owns what? As was stated, T2 owns 2K, its a simple 'if this splinter fails, we still have a stick to beat you with' business model. But thats the only point of my post you took, so maybe a song parody would work?

I got 2k problems but civ5 aint one, Hit me!

PS: I dont see removing dedicated servers as a 'minor change' as was stated in the post i was quoting.

I rememember before the Buccaneers got better in the late 90's there was always talk that people would put an extra ticket underneath their windshield wiper and when they came back there would be two.

Anyone having a hard time giving away one of those extra purchases?

:lol:

How is it my responsibility to support Firaxis' employees? Perhaps, if they'd like to make more money, they can 1.) Raise product prices or 2.) Sell a better product.

Capitalism is based on Economic Darwinism. If you sell bad products, you're probably not going to make money, and therefore, you will go out of business.

This petition is an absurd request by someone who doesn't even really know why they are making cuts at Firaxis, it could totally not even be money related.

Wow. Resurrection of old thread. Either way, it does point out that Firaxis did undergo layoffs back in July, which would be around crunch-time for pulling together the game.

I don't even buy that one copy since they failed to deliver.
Let alone Firaxis with this product isn't the same company OP is describing.
Ironically it describes exactly what went wrong with Civ V.

I can see the same things happening in gaming market though and that's why civilization franchise was special, until this point.
It's pretty much the reason why so many people are so disappointed.

Layoffs could be actually good thing. Especially if it means those people responsible of designing Civ V.

Well I felt I got my money's worth and then some of this game. Hell I think the soundtrack alone is almost worth that! Show me a game that puts hi quality mp3's in their game on the same level as SalutetotheSun.ogg, VoicesofWarr.ogg, Elipse.ogg?

I can't even tell you how many games I have wasted $50 on that havent even given me the level of enjoyment this game has so far. Hell, I've blown $50 on WAY worse things than this in terms of entertainment. Don't even get me started on MW2. If I wanted to run around stabbing people with knives I would've NOT bought the game with the dude holding the assault rifle on the cover. Sheesh

Sure Civ V is not perfect, but 2k games seems to give a damn about the negative feedback and are working on it. I've already logged 130 hours so far, have played many MP games with my brother overseas who thinks its the cats meow. So I'm going to push back against the 200+ negative threads on this forum and say I 100% wholeheartedly feel that I got my money's worth and then some. GJ 2kgames!

So firstly I'd beg those who are boycotting Civ 5 due to Steam to reconsider. Whatever your opinions on DRM and digital ownership and whatnot, surely you're a PC gamer by heart if you're a Civ fan. Surely regardless of a bit of inconvenience and perceived invasion of privacy or anonymity is better than losing the PC gaming we all love altogether?

What kind of a moral coward are you? Of course my privacy is more important than a stupid video game. Between the Steam spyware requirement and the fact that Civ 5 just plain sucks, I laugh at the layoffs.
Luckily I found out about the spyware and the suckage of the game before I took the plastic off and took it back for a full refund. But the fact that the company holds so little respect for me that they'd insist on spyware, release an unfinished game, and a crappy one at that, means I hope they go out of business. Good riddance.
It's people like you who think anything is acceptable as long as you get to buy something new that allows crap like this to continue. If everybody said no to Steam and no to unfinished, garbage games, the next Civ would have to be outright awesome to get customers back. Instead, we all know this is the death knell for the series, in terms of quality. Suckers, like you sir, will ensure they have to offer nothing to keep making millions.
Moderator Action: Flaming is not allowed in this forum and gets infracted on sight.

What kind of a moral coward are you? Of course my privacy is more important than a stupid video game. Between the Steam spyware requirement and the fact that Civ 5 just plain sucks, I laugh at the layoffs.
Luckily I found out about the spyware and the suckage of the game before I took the plastic off and took it back for a full refund. But the fact that the company holds so little respect for me that they'd insist on spyware, release an unfinished game, and a crappy one at that, means I hope they go out of business. Good riddance.
It's people like you who think anything is acceptable as long as you get to buy something new that allows crap like this to continue. If everybody said no to Steam and no to unfinished, garbage games, the next Civ would have to be outright awesome to get customers back. Instead, we all know this is the death knell for the series, in terms of quality. Suckers, like you sir, will ensure they have to offer nothing to keep making millions.
Moderator Action: Flaming is not allowed in this forum and gets infracted on sight.

Take a bow, Sir.

:goodjob:

I would prefer to go out of my way to get people to not buy Civ so that a better, more financially solvent firm can buy up the franchise.

Say what...?

I haven't visited this forum for a couple weeks. I come back and people are talking about buying TWO copies of this piece of garbage? This is one of the worst games of the year. Buying two copies would be an act of insanity.

I'll spend my fifty dollars on groceries, thanks.

So I don't end up in the soup line with the rest of these incompetent developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom