1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Case For Food - Or, How to Become Economically Dominant

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Jon Shafer, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Rubruk

Rubruk Chieftain

Hi Trip!

Thank you for this very comprehensive article. For me it was the guide to win on Warlord Level. Before playing CivIII, I played CivI, At the beginning it was not so easy for me to find a strategy, to know what is important to do. One has to understand that food is the basis for all strategies.

I won my last Warlord game simply by outexpanding the other AIs. In my first (and maybe last) Regent game, a well build up core laid the foundation for a Domination victory.

2. Despair888

Despair888 Chieftain

Most of the time my cities I have open spaces between my
    cities where other civs can place if they wanted to. This has
    helped me out quite a bit. Thanks for writing it. Ill have to
    try that and try building more cities. Im only using 6 at most.

3. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

I'm glad my work has helped people improve their play.

Here's a screenshot from a game I was playing about 5 months ago (about the most recent Civ 3 game I've played lately) just for some inspiration. ;)

Oh, and ignore the city in disorder. :D

Attached Files:

4. Ixman

Ixman Chieftain

Please help me. I have just started my first emporer game, and am, for the first time, micromanaging workers. In the Civalopedia, it states that a grassland square produces 2 food, and three if irrigated. I have a worker irrigate the tile, and it still only produces 2 food! Is this something to do with emporer setting, or am I just missing something.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ixman

5. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Despotism penalty.

6. Jon Shafer

While under the Despotism government every tile that produces at least 3 of something (food, shields, gold) will have one subtracted. That means if you irrigate a normal grassland it will produce 3 minus 1, or 2 (just as if it weren't irrigated ;)).
    However, a wheat or cow gives a bonus of +2 food, so under Despotism the tiles will give 3 food (4 minus 1), or 4 food if irrigated (5 minus 1). Once you switch out of Despotism it will produce the normal amount of food (4 if not irrigated, or 5 if it is).

7. Jon Shafer

Chances are if he doesn't know why it's happening, he doesn't know what that means. ;)

8. Ixman

Ixman Chieftain

Excellent! Thanks!

9. Jon Shafer

Reworded my post above in case it was at all confusing before...

10. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

Can you tell me what terrain and resource need when making a Settle or Worker pump?
    Then, is it possible to make pump in from size 4?

11. Jon Shafer

It's best if you have some sort of bonus food (cow or wheat) when setting up a pump, but it's not necessary unless you're in Despotism. Shielded grass or forest or plains are useful in creating pumps, and hills can be used as well.

Both a Worker and Settler pump can be created from size 4, but it can be somewhat difficult. The key is getting at least 5 food per turn the entire time, and 5 shields per turn for Workers and 8 for Settlers. You'll need quite a bit of bonus grass and probably a hill to set up a Settler Pump that functions from size 4.

12. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

I just started loving agricultural, but one thing i don't like is the happy civ factor. In the Monarch difficulty, only 2 citizens are happy by default throughout the game, any other citizens are unhappy, thus if you get a town really big early in the game, you have to sacrifice science for luxury, especially if you're building a granary and have no military police.

13. austincm

austincm Chieftain

If I am going for a space victory, is loose placement my best bet?

and also, are making your citizens scientists good?

14. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Probaly should pose those qustionin the Strat forum, rather than article. If you do, give game settings. The questions as you have them could get valid answer on either side.

15. Divaythsarmour

Divaythsarmour Adventurer

I didn't know that. It's definitely a consideration.

I was thinking that food could be especially powerful under despotism as you would have plenty of population to whip.