1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The CAT S60 smartphone

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Fr8monkey, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Chieftain

Has a built in thermal camera and the first waterproof rating to a depth of 5 meters.

Set for release later this year, the CAT S60 will be priced at $599 USD.

I don't need it; but I really want one for some reason...

2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Why is a company which makes heavy earth moving equipment now making smartphones?

3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

4. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Chieftain

It is technology isn't it?

5. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER Supporter

I am not interested in the waterproof feature - I bet the connection is quite bad down there ;)
    The IR Camera might be useful if thermography is possible i.e. an easy to use temperature scale is available.

6. teccuk

teccuk Lurker Extrordinaire

I'm waiting for the battery life test. If it lasts more than day, yes I like the look of a rugged phone.

They didn't release the galaxy S6 active in the UK...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Waterproof is actually probably a very good feature. There must have been many millions of phones ruined because they got wet. And with the Cat brand on them, they're probably, among other things, targeting buyers who are outdoors in all sorts of weather conditions.

8. Hakim

Hakim Parasocial

Nice! The IR camera will be handy in detecting vampires, aliens and cold blooded people in general. I'll have good use of it at work.

9. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Chieftain

Would be good for detecting those pesky kids that keep foiling my plans for taking over the abandoned amusement park too!

10. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

IR camera not really useful enough to add to a phone, if you need an IR camera you should probably buy a standalone one.

There's no end of random non-tech companies branding phones, it's not like they have their own manufacturing facilities.

11. wolfigor

wolfigor Chieftain

Cat (eterpillar) has been selling ruggerised and generic mobile phones since 2013 with the CAT25.
    http://m.gsmarena.com/cat-phones-89.php

They cather to a very specific segment of the market that require sturdy phones: the ability to survive physical abuse is the main feature.

AFAIK they do not build their own hansets (in reality very few brands do) but they have strict requirements about the sturdiness.

For exmple this S60 not only is certified IP68 but also MIL-STD-810G certified and certified to survive fall on concrete from 1.8m.

I remember at Mobile World Congress they were demonstrating their phones by using them as a hammer (planting nails in wood).

There are a very few other vendors in this segment.
    The one I most remember is Kyocera.
    On top of being on par with the Cat their hansets also sends vibrations directly to the eardrums (you can ear them practically in any noise environment).
    They also have dual microphone noise cancellation, so you can use the phone even if the background noise is up to 100 decibels

12. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I disagree. IR information can be enormously useful in a lot of situations. People just don't have much first hand experience using them so they don't know
    about more than a few applications.

13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

My daughter, when she was a teenager, dropped at least three of her phones in the toilet. Waterproofing is a good feature.