The CAT S60 smartphone

Fr8monkey

Deity
Has a built in thermal camera and the first waterproof rating to a depth of 5 meters.

Set for release later this year, the CAT S60 will be priced at $599 USD.

I don't need it; but I really want one for some reason...

Why is a company which makes heavy earth moving equipment now making smartphones?

It is technology isn't it?

I am not interested in the waterproof feature - I bet the connection is quite bad down there ;)
The IR Camera might be useful if thermography is possible i.e. an easy to use temperature scale is available.

I'm waiting for the battery life test. If it lasts more than day, yes I like the look of a rugged phone.

They didn't release the galaxy S6 active in the UK...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am not interested in the waterproof feature - I bet the connection is quite bad down there ;)
The IR Camera might be useful if thermography is possible i.e. an easy to use temperature scale is available.

Waterproof is actually probably a very good feature. There must have been many millions of phones ruined because they got wet. And with the Cat brand on them, they're probably, among other things, targeting buyers who are outdoors in all sorts of weather conditions.

Nice! The IR camera will be handy in detecting vampires, aliens and cold blooded people in general. I'll have good use of it at work.

Would be good for detecting those pesky kids that keep foiling my plans for taking over the abandoned amusement park too!

IR camera not really useful enough to add to a phone, if you need an IR camera you should probably buy a standalone one.

Why is a company which makes heavy earth moving equipment now making smartphones?

There's no end of random non-tech companies branding phones, it's not like they have their own manufacturing facilities.

Cat (eterpillar) has been selling ruggerised and generic mobile phones since 2013 with the CAT25.
http://m.gsmarena.com/cat-phones-89.php

They cather to a very specific segment of the market that require sturdy phones: the ability to survive physical abuse is the main feature.

AFAIK they do not build their own hansets (in reality very few brands do) but they have strict requirements about the sturdiness.

For exmple this S60 not only is certified IP68 but also MIL-STD-810G certified and certified to survive fall on concrete from 1.8m.

I remember at Mobile World Congress they were demonstrating their phones by using them as a hammer (planting nails in wood).

There are a very few other vendors in this segment.
The one I most remember is Kyocera.
On top of being on par with the Cat their hansets also sends vibrations directly to the eardrums (you can ear them practically in any noise environment).
They also have dual microphone noise cancellation, so you can use the phone even if the background noise is up to 100 decibels

IR camera not really useful enough to add to a phone, if you need an IR camera you should probably buy a standalone one.
I disagree. IR information can be enormously useful in a lot of situations. People just don't have much first hand experience using them so they don't know
about more than a few applications.

My daughter, when she was a teenager, dropped at least three of her phones in the toilet. Waterproofing is a good feature.

Top Bottom