The Celts

The Celts need a new UA. Right now, I'm leaning towards this:"Druidic Lore: When selecting a Pantheon, choose from a selection of Beliefs unique to the Celts. Natural Wonder yields boosted by +50%"

Kinda hard to judge this without you saying what the pantheons does, or at least giving some examples.

However I'm not sure I'm such a fan of this actually. Maybe if you balance the pantheon around the celts starting with it. But that would be overlapping with India.

Kinda hard to judge this without you saying what the pantheons does, or at least giving some examples.

However I'm not sure I'm such a fan of this actually. Maybe if you balance the pantheon around the celts starting with it. But that would be overlapping with India.

Well, that's the fun part. I was thinking that we could give the Celts a choice of 8-10 beliefs for Pantheons, each of which reflects a separate Celtic/Druidic god. The Pantheons would be buffed/combined versions of existing Pantheons. This would allow the Celts to 'craft their own UA' based on starting location.

G

Well, that's the fun part. I was thinking that we could give the Celts a choice of 8-10 beliefs for Pantheons, each of which reflects a separate Celtic/Druidic god. The Pantheons would be buffed/combined versions of existing Pantheons. This would allow the Celts to 'craft their own UA' based on starting location.

G

That's pretty much what I thought, again it would feel way more relevant if you didn't need to reach 30 faith to get it.

I think it would be very interesting to have a Civ with unique or stronger Beliefs (or Policy) effects.

I agree. If you guys want to help me brainstorm 10 pantheon names (i.e. Celtic Gods) and the belief bonuses, that'd be awesome. Use the existing pantheons as your base (i.e. use existing Pantheon bonuses - don't get too creative).

I agree. If you guys want to help me brainstorm 10 pantheon names (i.e. Celtic Gods) and the belief bonuses, that'd be awesome. Use the existing pantheons as your base (i.e. use existing Pantheon bonuses - don't get too creative).

Do you want to use all the improvement-buffs, or none of them? Imho leaving a few of them out is silly.

I'd say lets run with some fun ones in that case.
Ancestor Worship
Cult of Nature
Dance of the Aurora
Desert Folklore
Fertility Rites
God of War
Goddess of Festivals
Goddess of Love
Monument to the Gods
Sacred Path

Ancestor Worship
Cult of Nature
Dance of the Aurora
Desert Folklore
Fertility Rites
God of War
Goddess of Festivals
Goddess of Love
Monument to the Gods
Sacred Path

List looks good. We can pull from a few other beliefs as well if we so desire. For now, let's tie these to Celtic gods and buff them.

List looks good. We can pull from a few other beliefs as well if we so desire. For now, let's tie these to Celtic gods and buff them.

Won't be of any use with Celtic gods I'm afraid, I find them extremely boring :D
Can give you some yields-suggestions if you want however.

Three alternative thoughts:
- Celts select two simultaneous pantheons
and/or
- Each celtic city picks a different pantheon when founded/captured
and/or
-Pantheon effects are not removed by foreign religions taking over the city

and/or
and/or

Probably complicated, and really strong.

Sounds like a nightmare to program.

Doesn't actually sound fun. And not really thematic, and pretty useless as well.

I have no idea how strong you want the pantheons being, but I'm guessing somewhere around 50% more power or double the power?

Ancestor Worship - +3 culture in capital +1 faith/4 citizens.
Hard to know what to do with, just increasing the culture isn't a good idea because it will snowball heavily. Maybe something like:

(50%) - +3 culture +2 food in capital, +1 Faith/3 citizens.
(100%) - +3 culture in capital +1 culture in other cities, +1 Faith/2 citizens.

Cult of Nature - +2 culture/faith from natural wonders.
I honestly feel like this pantheon needs a rework in general, I find the yields on mountains completely stupid and creates way too powerful combinations with Machu Picchu and an observatory, for that reason I'm not even going to include it here.
I also find this pantheon in general pretty hard to increase upon, as natural wonders are way rare and you already get a 50% bonus from them. If I had to do something I would perhaps do it like this.

(50%) - +2 culture/faith/food from natural wonders
(100%) - +2 culture/faith/food/production from natural wonders.

However, these are both really a lot worse than the other options as imho, the base pantheon isn't very strong.

I'll place this one on ice for now.

Dance of the Aurora - +1 Production/Faith/Culture from improved tundra-tiles.
Desert Folklore - +1 Food/Faith/Gold from improved desert-tiles.
Yes I know it only works on actual resources, but that takes too long to write.
Anyways there are a lot of creative ways to handle this one (and the desert one).
You could either just buff the existing numbers. add something to it, or completely change it to something with a similar effect.
All these examples are aimed at Dance of the Aurora, but they pretty much applies to desert folklore aswell.

Some examples:
(50%) - +1 Production/Faith/Culture from improved tundra-tiles. +1 food on flat (non-hill) tundra tiles without resources on them.
Turning tundra-tiles into hard-to-improve grassland-tiles.
(50?%) - +1 Food/Production/Faith/Culture/Gold from improved tundra-tiles.
Just pumping up the numbers, added the yields from the desert folklore to it.
(100%) - +1 Food/Faith on all tundra-tiles.
Pretty much a pimped up version of the old dance of the aurora, could create an interesting situation where the Celts can adapt to their surroundings and turn into a pseudo Arabia/<Funak's Russia>.
(100%) - +2 Production/Faith/Culture from improved tundra-tiles.

Fertility Rites - +2 Food +1 Faith +10% growth from Shrines.
Hard one again, just pumping up the numbers could be a solution, but ti's rather boring. One could combine it with Goddess of Love I guess. But that doesn't really sound very fun either.

(50%) - +2 Food/Faith +15% Growth from shrines.
(100%) - +2 Food/Faith +25% Growth from shrines.

God of War - +2 science from barracks. +Faith from kills.
Hard to do anything with this other than just increasing the numbers.

One could also combine it with another existing pantheon, maybe Faith Healers or Goddess of Protection?

Goddess of Festivals - +2 Culture/Faith from luxuries

(50%) - +3 Culture/Faith from luxuries
(100%) - +4 Culture/Faith from luxuries

Goddess of Love - Gain +5 Faith and +3 GAP whenever a city grows.

There is some options here as well. Bumping up the numbers, adding other yields to it, making cities grow faster somehow or adding some similar effect from another pantheon to it, maybe Religious Settlements.

Monument to the Gods - +2 Faith +1 Culture from world wonders, 15% bonus while building ancient/classical wonders.

(50%) - +2 Faith +2 Culture from World wonders, 15% bonus while building wonders.
(100%) - +4 Faith +3 Culture from World Wonders, 15% bonus while building wonders.

Sacred Path - +1 Faith from every 2 jungles, +1 Culture from every 2 forests.
I actually find this pantheon currently extremely under-powered with the changes to improvements and forest/jungle. Maybe the base pantheons should be reworked somehow.

(?%) - +1 Faith from jungles, +1 Culture from forests.

Maybe taking Void Genesis' suggestion of mixing 2 Pantheons is good into one.
Or
Make it 100% more Power as suggested bu Funak, but maybe have it double with some other requirement and not right away.

Ancestor Worship - +3 culture in capital +1 faith/4 citizens

Mix with Sun God: +1 Food and +1 Faith on Farms, +2 Faith from Palace

Or

(50%) - +3 culture +2 food in capital, +1 Faith/3 citizens
(100%) - +3 culture in capital +1 culture in other cities, +1 Faith/2 citizens

Cult of Nature - +2 culture/faith from natural wonders and mountains

Just make it stronger on all Yields for Natural Wonders,for that Lucky Spanish Natural Wonder start :king:

Fertility Rites: +2 Faith from Granaries, 10% faster Growth Rate

Mix with Goddess of Love: +5 Faith, +3 Golden Age Points every time a Citizen is born

Or

(50%) - +2 Food/Faith +15% Growth from shrines.
(100%) - +2 Food/Faith +25% Growth from shrines.

Maybe taking Void Genesis' suggestion of mixing 2 Pantheons is good into one.
Or
Make it 100% more Power as suggested bu Funak, but maybe have it double with some other requirement and not right away.
I'm not suggesting anything.

Ancestor Worship - +3 culture in capital +1 faith/4 citizens

Mix with Sun God: +1 Food and +1 Faith on Farms, +2 Faith from Palace
G didn't want any of the resource-boosting ones, and I personally find that one extremely boring in the first place, it is way too snowbally, guaranteed faith and a bunch of food if you're lucky.

Here's an alternative tack for unique pantheons, perhaps they could correspond to play-styles throughout the game. Here are my ideas for some play-style-themed pantheons, each loosely based on a Policy Tree;

"Tradition" +3 Happiness in Capital, and +1 Faith for every known Civ with a Pantheon. Cities provide +30% Ranged Combat Strength.

"Liberty" +1 Faith, +2 Science, +2 Food in cities with a City Connection.

"Might" +15 HP healed per turn in friendly territory, +2 Faith and +3 Culture from each heal that happens this way.

"Piety" +1 Faith, Culture, Gold, Production, Food, and Science for every 6 followers.

"Patronage" +2 Faith and +3 Science for every CS Friendship, and +1 Faith for every known NW.

"Aesthetics" +1 Faith from every WW, 10% to WW construction.

"Industry" +4 Faith, +4 Gold, +3 GAP when a citizen is born.

"Imperialism" 5 Faith from border growth, 10% faster border growth. +5% Combat Strength in owned territory.

"Rationalism" +1 Faith per 9 Science generated empire-wide, +2 Science and +2 Production in capital.

Top Bottom