1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The CFC Cricket Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Ozbenno, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Butterball

Butterball Bear

Please don't bash me, but what are the rules and goals of Cricket? I have a son-in-law in New Zealand and would like to talk trash with him. Thanks in advance.

2. Arwon

Arwon

Cricket doesn't have rules, it has laws.

The aim is to score more runs than the other team.

3. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...
    You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

4. Arwon

Arwon

5. Arwon

Arwon

It also JUST occurred to me that you can bowl down the wicket and hit the wicket and therefore take a wicket.

6. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

He is New Zealander, that is enough of a reason to talk trash to him. ;)

7. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I'm fairly sure the best way to understand cricket is to watch some of it. It's much simpler if you see what's going on, though having read a summary to being with will assist in comprehending it.

Note that Arwon's helpful cricinfo link is slightly outdated, in that there are three forms of cricket, and the one not mentioned (presumably because it wasn't invented at the time of writing) is T20 (Twenty-Twenty; meaning twenty 'overs' per side), is probably the easiest and quickest to view to get into the game.

This is also a semi-useful video:

Link to video.

8. Butterball

Butterball Bear

Huh :crazyeye:

9. Butterball

Butterball Bear

Huh 2 :crazyeye:

10. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

As Camikaze says, watching it and then asking questions will be much easier than trying to explain it.

11. druidravi

druidravi King

Supporting Australia for tomorrow's match :p.

12. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Must be the first time ever.

13. druidravi

druidravi King

Well I always support the Aussies when they are against England or Pakistan ;) . Generally I support the underdogs in non-Indian matches and face it Aussies seldom wear that tag . Still Indians regardless of the various controversies have very high regard for the Aussies and their sheer competitiveness they display . Steve Waugh is one of my favorite cricketers ever .

14. Arwon

Arwon

Kinda want this series to be done so it will be football season. Swans gonna have a good year I hope.

15. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Why are there no finals in Sydney or Melbourne ?

16. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Probably because they had the T20s.

17. druidravi

druidravi King

SriLanka deserved the win . With 2 main bowlers out and such a low total to defend still they could come on top .

18. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Will be interesting to see which Australian is dropped when Clarke comes back in. Should be Warner. Probably will be Forrest.

19. Arwon

Arwon

It's not likely, but it could be that they've already turned the MCG over to the AFL. There's no matches there til the end of the month, but I'm not sure how long the groundstaff need to get rid of the pitch.

It's also possible that they've started construction at the SCG already.

20. Justo

Justo Emperor

Well an interesting Sheffield Shield Final has been setup this year.

QLD vs TAS.

Going to be interesting to see how things pan out. While I'm supporting QLD I don't think we are favourites going into this. Both sides have strong bowling attacks with QLDs perhaps being slightly stronger but Jackson Bird has been devastating all season for TAS becoming leading wicket taker while not even being selected in the first few matches of the season.

QLDs batting will be their primary concern with really only Burns and to a much lesser extent Townsend and Cutting being anywhere near consistent this season(Forrest is in the Caribbean so he can't be counted). Tasmania are missing a number of their Batsmen though and will be heavily reliant on Cowan and Ponting to shore things up.

All in all the contest is well set and I'm looking forward to watching the online stream which is supposed to be better than normal Shield games(this one should have more cameras and commentary). Also hoping Cutting is fit for QLD which would give us a big selection headache as to who to drop(Boyce(Spin), Magoffin or McDermott(the last two averaging 17 this season)) with Harris a shoe in to be selected.

Edit: Also on a separate issue the off season is going to be very interesting. Alot of big changes with alot of players moving around. CA is going to cut the number of contracted players to 18. With alot of NSW players likely losing their contracts(Bollinger, Smith, Hughes Khawaja etc) NSW aren't going to be able to maintain their player base due to the salary cap. This is quite likely going to lead to an exodus of players from NSW with a number of states(and NSW players) already supposedly looking to make some moves.

Article is here.

Will be interesting to see the make up of some teams next year. IMO it will be a boon Australian domestic cricket including NSW who have struggled even with a star studded line up(personally I think it's due to balance issues by picking "stars" over a balanced team. Generally one too many bowling options and not enough depth in the batting or vice versa). The only downside would be a number of other potential young guns not getting opportunities(Boyce from QLD if Hauritz moves North and so forth) but sides like QLD, SA and even WA could benefit quite a bit by taking in some batsmen(if the article is true Khawaja going to QLD would be big for our batting line up, WA getting Katich and possibly Nevill would be formidable with what they already have and Smith and/or Maddinson moving to SA could only boost their otherwise abysmal line up.). Looking forward to seeing how this turns out either way.