The CFC Cricket Thread

Good comeback from England this morning - got to be happy with limiting the lead to 32 after having been pretty much outplayed fore the first two days. Can England's top order finally live up to their reputations?

So what do we reckon would be a par target for the 4th innings here? I suspect anything about 250 will be a challenge, and above 300 will be probably too tough. Which means England need to look for another 100 tomorrow, I reckon.

Depends if our batsmen actually show some grit and determination at the crease. If they do, probably anything up to 350-400 is chaseable with enough time. If they don't 150 could be too much.

The pitch itself seems fine when the sun is out. Cloud cover seems to help the ball swing and seam so I reckon it'll ultimately come down to conditions and the new ball.

Watson's injury does hurt though so if he can't bat I'd say 250 would be more than enough.

Khawaja is incompetent against spin but judging from commentary seems to make a decent fist of defending usually. Hughes can't even do that.

It`s the lack of application when things are tough, not the lack of talent that worries me.

A symptom of a juniors system that requires batsmen to retire when they reach x runs, coupled with matches lasting 50 overs per side. Add in the financial incentives to play t20 over long form cricket, not to mention the much greater financial incentives to play the various football codes, and it's no wonder there aren't any young batsmen with the mentality to grind out an innings on a tough pitch. Hell we had to bring in a 35 year old to show the youngsters how to bat on pitches that aren't complete roads.

It`s the lack of application when things are tough, not the lack of talent that worries me.

But that is a talent! Point still stands that we are stuck with what we have (plus Hughes and Cowan I guess), no other candidates around with talent or application. As azzaman said 20/20 has bred test match batting out of youngsters.

But that is a talent! Point still stands that we are stuck with what we have (plus Hughes and Cowan I guess), no other candidates around with talent or application. As azzaman said 20/20 has bred test match batting out of youngsters.

Whilst I agree that an ability to apply oneself to a task is made easier given an aptitude to do so, it's still something that more people can achieve without that aptitude than say, be a brilliant stroke player.

One of the great things about cricket is that a guy like Steve Waugh can be an all time great despite having half the natural talent of his peers. Many sports don't afford the mental giant the chance to shine.

Was Kerrigan completely overwhelmed by the emotion and nerves of his test debut, or is he really a bog average tweaker who does little more than merely roll the arm over?

I think Swann is the exception that proves the rule about English spinners. Kerrigan is just continuing the veritable tradition of Croft, Giles, etc.

I think Swann is the exception that proves the rule about English spinners. Kerrigan is just continuing the veritable tradition of Croft, Giles, etc.

If you go back far enough then you get to Emburey and Edmonds (I had the privilege of watching them play for Middlesex at Lords in the 80's). I've never seen Kerrigan, so all I know of him is received wisdom, but I doubt he's going to be a replacement for Swann.

Edit: To be fair to Kerrigan, he has shown a lot of promise, and trying him out on a potentially friendly pitch in a dead rubber is probably an indication that England think there's a real chance that this guy is a real talent, and not comparable to the sort of trundlers you've mentioned above.

Crazy last days play at the Oval. 447 runs. 17 wickets. Attacking play and an aggressive declaration from Australia. Excellent reply by England. And while a draw was the fairest result, the scene at the end of Australia time-wasting and Clarke having a go at the umpires to stop the match for bad light was just too precious and ironic for words :)

England played for a draw for the entirety of day 3 and a large portion of day 5, with English win still very much possible if they wanted to play for it. We played for a draw for maybe the last 30 minutes of the match when a win was as good as impossible, after doing everything in our power to try and get a win out of the match.

Why the hell the light rule was ever changed from the being the batting side having the privelidge to request play be suspended is beyond me? It's clearly a better rule.

Quite agree. The incident at Manchester where the umpire told Cook that play could continue if and only if he bowled spinners was an equally bizarre unintended consequence.

Azza, I fully agree that it was only at the end that Clarke turned negative (though I wonder what part of day 5 you think England were playing for a draw?). It was just very funny to watch Clarke suddenly doing all the things he, Faulkener and others were decrying before. Which kinda suggests that it's all about what is doing the best for your team, and not a function of the high moral stance that was being implied up to that point.

Top Bottom