1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The CFC Cricket Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Ozbenno, Nov 6, 2011.

1. druidravi

druidravi King

I think every captain and ex-captain (including Cook )in Clarke's position would do the same. You only preach about the spirit of cricket when the opposing side does it . Many Australians have not walked when nicked to first slip , but it a crime when Broad does it.

2. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Pundits seems to like saying that Clarke was 'courageous' and his decision was 'inspired', but I don't really think that almost single-handedly losing a game that Australia was winning counts as good captaincy. If he wants to provide excitement for the crowd, perhaps he should go into marketing.

Clearly England deserved to win the series, but looking at the statistics it's quite unbelievable that the margin was 3-0. With the exception of Bell, Australia's top and middle order did better than England's. It's just that they collapsed at the wrong time. Harris was miles ahead of Anderson and Broad, who were about the same as Siddle and Starc. I think the series showed that Broad is about as good as Johnson; capable of tearing through a line up, but innocuous the rest of the time. At least his undeserved reputation will keep him in the team for the return series. England dominated one test, Australia dominated another. Two were close and England pipped it, and Australia played better than England in the last one.

The problem is that I don't expect it to be that close in a few months time. England were much worse than expected, and there's no reason to think they'd play as poorly in the next series. At the same time, there aren't many indications that Australia will suddenly play better.

3. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

Hmm. You don't mention Swann - perhaps because Australia didn't really have a serious comparison to him in the spinner department. Bell was a class apart. From an English point of view, the first test was only close because of two big last wicket stands by the Australians. Anderson and Broad were quiet for much of the time, sure, but in effect they both won a test, and periodic brilliance is usually more useful in this game that a sustained average performance. The two tests where Australia looked like dominating were the ones where winning the toss was most important, and they still couldn't force a result.

Just an alternative view...

More seriously, I largely agree it was closer than 3-0 might suggest, but I think you need to look at the series through gold and green tinted glasses to see it as being as close as you're saying, Cami.

4. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Indeed, Swann was certainly the one area where England had a clear advantage, but the Australian pitches are unlikely to be as favourable. So while I'd expect England to get better, I wouldn't expect him to do as well.

You're certainly right that it's the 'match-winning' qualities of Anderson and Broad that were important (just as for Johnson, to continue the comparison with Broad), and Australia's good performances came at pretty meaningless times, as it turned out (best examples being Watson's and Smith's centuries). But I'm not sure Australia can be blamed for not forcing a result when the English 12th man (the weather) was in play, especially when Clarke pretty much threw away this last test for a highly speculative tilt at victory.

5. Lambert Simnel

Yah, as I say, I basically agree. I think the 3rd and 5th tests were likely draw-fodder whoever won the toss - but being at the crease on the best three or four days for batting leads to a lot of comfort in the Aussie batsmen's averages while their performance when the going got tough was really pretty mediocre. In those tests, whoever batted first had to make enough runs while the weather was good and then force a follow-on - Australia had the opportunity but weren't able to take it either time. Bit harsh, perhaps, but in Bell, Swann, Broad, Anderson and (almost) KP, England had players who took the opportunity when it was presented.

6. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Bell and Woakes certainly weren't batting for a result, and the aggressive (almost suicidal) Australian innings wasn't spurred by English aggression with the ball, that's for sure. It was only when Clarke set England a total to chase in a session that England really played for a result.

There's a pretty clear difference between the circumstances in which each team chose to play for a draw.

7. Lambert Simnel

Hmm. I was replying to your comment that "England played for a draw for the entirety of day 3 and a large portion of day 5" and was certainly puzzled by that last part of it (to be honest, I think they were playing to avoid defeat on day 3, which is a subtle difference which I'm not that bothered about arguing over). So what did England score on day 5 in the morning?

They started at 247/4 from 116 overs, still 46 runs short of the follow-on. They ended up at 377/10 from 144.4 overs. So, if I have my figures right, they scored 130 from 28.4 overs, a run rate of 4.5 an over. For god's sake, what run-rate would make you happy from a side still trying to avoid the follow-on on the 5th morning of a test match?! And I don't really agree that England weren't looking for wickets in the Aussie second innings - just that it can be as effective to set a moderate field and force the batters to be foolhardy and hand you their wickets rather than making the run accumulation easy.

At the end of the day, England didn't win, and didn't deserve to. Clarke's "holier than thou" stance was shown up as somewhat, eh circumstantial, and his "brave" (not your word, I know) declaration was bordering on insanity in terms of the confidence that it showed in his bowlers (all 10 English wickets? In one session? Really?); all he achieved in the end was handing back the end of series momentum (if that's actually worth anything) to England.

PS Checking back, the Bell-Woakes partnership on Sunday morning lasted just 6 overs for 22 runs. Fairly decent rate given that the follow-on had still not been averted.

8. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

166 from Finch. :wow:

9. Lambert Simnel

Pah. It was a mere 156, not 166. Hardly any boundaries at all - what 25 from 63 balls?

Weird to see a record broken by that much i.e. over 25% higher than the previous international record. I know the T20 game is still young, but that is just outlandish statistically.

10. druidravi

druidravi King

BCCI must surely be the worst organization/bully in world cricket. They cancel or shorten to 2 tests , the India -SA tour as they don't like the new South Africa chief executive. Instead we have a non scripted 2 test series against WI with so that Sachin can play his 200th test in his home city.

Great marketing ploy to get maximum dough from the opportunity and protecting Tendulkar from embarrassment in SA at the same time. He is at the fag end of his career and in poor form , so they try to script a fairy tale retirement for him .

11. classical_hero

Right now SA can tear apart any team they want to.

12. druidravi

druidravi King

Indeed. Even if there is a potential for another white wash, I would prefer the team to actually go and play it. Right now the team is full of youngsters who would atleast learn something from getting bloodied up .
    The 4-0 whitewash team in England and Australia were full of ageing superstars past their prime .

13. druidravi

druidravi King

Why is Pakistan which lost a test to Zimbwawe weeks back wacking SA ?

14. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

It's Pakistan. Wildly erratic performances is what they do. They'll most likely find a way to fall in a heap before this test is over.

15. classical_hero

Link to video.

Watch from 1:35 to see the 30 run over. This video is highlights of the whole innings of Faulkner.

16. druidravi

druidravi King

After the 30 run over..Ishant is the new national villain here. Not to take anything from Faulkner's innings. Quite a turnaround :goodjob:

17. druidravi

druidravi King

We should atleast hire Pakistanis to make our pitches. Not a fan of 350+ scores every innings.

18. Arwon

Arwon

Bring us your Australian top sixes!

I figure something like Rogers Watson Hughes Clark Smith somebody?

19. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

What I'd like to see;
    Rogers Klinger Cosgrove White Clarke Smith

But I'd be shocked if it wasn't;
    Rogers Warner Watson Clarke Bailey Smith

20. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

Sadly, Watson finally getting a hundred in a dead rubber to end the ashes means his spot is now guaranteed for another 3 years.

Yeah, that'd be my guess. :(