1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The CFC OT Tea Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Quintillus, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

It occurred to me this morning that I can't be the only one who is often happier and more productive with a nice cup of tea.

Black, green, caffeinated, herbal, basic, fancy, with milk or with water... as long as it is often called "tea", whether it really is or not, I'd count it.

This morning I woke up with a cup of Earl Grey, but once more awake decided to go with a more seasonally appropriate chaider (chai + apple cider) for my second cup of tea.

tjs282 and The_J like this.
  2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Unless it's cranberry-flavored, sweetened with honey, tea is disgusting.

So is coffee, btw.

Kaitzilla and BenitoChavez like this.
  3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

For 25 years I drank a tall glass of ice tea at lunch and life was good. For the past 25 years I switched to a large mug of cafe au lait in the morning and life is still good. Maybe it is the change in altitude!

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Since I've quite coffee, and try to avoid sodas, there's not much more left than teas. And also only herbal ones, since the actual tee contains caffeine.
    My selection currently has camomile (for the throat, mainly), 2 red mixes, 1 hibiscus (pretty good, but it's also with additional flavours), 1 rooibos/apple, and a peach (not so good).
    I've recently thrown out a few which really didn't work taste wise (chocolate, vanilla, and something else with rooibos).
    I also have some cold brew mix (blackcurrant/echinacea), but haven't tested that yet.
    I think that should also been nearly everything what my normal supermarket has for the herbal selection, might need to look elsewhere for some more choices.

EDIT: The supermarket here also has some herbal ice tea without added sugar, which is also pretty good.
    Also had once a decafeinated black ice tea, that was great too, but I don't know where I could actually buy it. Although decafeinated green tea would even be better.

5. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

I made crumpets about a week ago--just to find out what the other half of "tea and crumpets" is. I liked 'em.

6. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I'm a coffee aficionado, but mother was a tea drinker, so I know the tune and can dance a few steps. Her favorite sipping tea was Twinings Constant Comment, which I like or Earl Grey. I am also a boring American, as in no sugar, no lemon, no cream.

Iced, I prefer black tea with clove in the brew.

J

7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I like herbal tea in the evening, black tea is kinda gross.

I rarely drink tea in the summer, especially here in Florida.

Herbal tea is quite nice when you're coming down from being high

9. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I drink hot black tea a lot. Without sugar or anything.
    But in the morning I drink coffee instead because tea makes me a bit nauseated, especially on empty stomach. Don't know why.
    And at night I usually replace it with herbal or berry tea.

10. really

really Deity

I drink Barry's Gold Blend, with a small bit of milk. It is marketed in the US as Irish Breakfast Tea (I learnt that on here).

Several in the morning but rarely after 2/3 pm.

Relatively strong i gather.

11. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I help myself to several large servings every day. I love all tea, although I'm not crazy about fruit tea. I specially like sencha green tea.

12. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Tea, usually supermarket own brand, usually 7-8 pots a day, 2 cups from each, milk, no sugar.
    I do like other teas, especially Assam, just too mean to spend my money on them.

Manfred Belheim likes this.
  13. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

My wife likes Darjeeling, buys it loose-leaf by the kilo, and drinks it black. I prefer (black) tea with milk + a little sugar, so a stronger blend/variety would generally suit me better — but if Darjeeling is already in the pot, who am I to argue? Generally only drink it at breakfast, though.

Evenings I/we drink herbal or fruit tea instead: my wife likes chamomile, I rotate between peppermint and hibiscus/rosehip (that one usually needs a little sugar/honey to take the edge of it). Tried a nice "Turkish apple" flavour as well recently, would buy again.

Also used to buy "chai"-teabags regularly, but the local supermarket stopped selling that variety for some reason (even though it always seemed to sell out quicker than the other 'exotic' flavours in the same crate). Can still kinda improvise it with a black-teabag plus pinch of cinammon and nutmeg and a clove from the spice cupboard, but it's not quite the same (and usually grittier!).

For winter sore throats and colds, a couple of thin slices of fresh(ish) ginger plus a teaspoon of honey works great.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  14. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

I can't imagine a day has passed since I was about 10 (probably younger) when I haven't drunk tea.

15. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

I love tea, but rarely have it. I'm not much of a connaiseur, my favorite by far is chamomile, second are either liquorice or lemon ginger. I only drink mixed in with milk, honey or sugar if I'm sick and need to feel artificially better. Classic black or green are both great, but I had it so much growing up I've gotten somewhat tired of them. I only buy the expensive brands from tea shops, they're usually fuller and less bitter.

16. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I think I began about then. Making and drinking tea was an excuse to stay up for an extra half an hour.

17. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

just for claritys sake: herbal teas, spice teas and fruit teas aren't tea. they are usually referred to as tisane. tea is made from the plant camellia sinensis, aka the tea plant. green, black, white, oolong, are all types of tea. now idgaf if people want to post about herbal teas, that is totally legit. I love me some herbal teas, too, especially mint & honey.

also, what a great idea for a thread. I am currently drinking a lovely thai oolong. though usually to start my day I drink my own house blend: a strong, peachy ceylon and a hint of bergamotte flavored black. sometimes I also blend a wild green and assam, but that's mostly too expensive for daily use :D

I also drink a lot of japanese senchas, I mostly prefer the finer kind. quite a fan of genmaicha and bancha. used to drink matcha regularly but it's too much of a ritual to do it every day, I simply don't have the time. lately I've been getting into finer chinese greens, blacks, whites and yellows.

:vomit:

so, what kinds do you like? since you've been drinking for decades you must have some favorites :)

loose leaf isn't generally more expensive than supermarket tea, even though super market tea is often literally the floor sweepings of proper tea. no, I'm not kidding you. a good chunk of it is dust aka dead skin, insect excrement, insect bodyparts and random things that got into the harvest. this is also the reason why people are reminded to brew teas like that at 100 C, not for optimal taste, but because that is the only way to make the tea safe for consumption.

my best friend spent a few years working at a herb/tea packaging place. it was pure horror. the key to getting good deals in loose leaf is buying in bulk. my dad buys like 3x 5kg bags every year. I wish I could put you onto a store/website, but I mostly buy medium price range tea directly from china/japan/thailand.

that is the proper way to drink tea. now I do really like tea with honey, or tea with lemon, but for all intents and purposes tea is camellia sinensis leafs and water, period.

I am also a big fan of unsweeted black for ice tea. will try the clove, that sounds neat.

sure it does, but the caffeine in tea is verstoffwechselt much differently than the caffein in coffee. it doesn't make your stress and anxiety levels rise as coffee does, nor does it give you a period of feeling like dirt because drinking tea, as opposed to coffee, does not clog your adenosine receptors, or so my research has shown.

I do like coffee for what it is, but it's entirely clear that coffee is actually a relatively potent drug with incredibly underestimated side effects, while tea is comparably mild. especially whites, yellows and young greens have low amounts of caffeine, while black tea has relatively high amounts.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    tjs282 and Birdjaguar like this.
  18. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I have no idea if the first part is true (well, partially I know, since the caffeine in tea is bound to another substance, which can only be cleaved of in the gut, and therefore has a delayed effect, but no clue how this relates to what you're saying), but the important thing for me is that I actually do feel it when I drink black tea (and not sure about green, although I think the last time I had ice tea). This is way more noticable since I abstain from all caffeine. Would probably not have noticed a single bit if I regularly drank coffee.

Oh, and mint tea, obviously. Fresh mint tea blows the supermarket one out of the water, miles away.

19. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

I dunno. Tea. Black tea I suppose, although I didn't know it was called that until relatively recently, and never hear anyone call it that.

A couple of (or three) years ago, we got a coffee machine at work. I tried it out and fairly soon went from drinking zero coffee to drinking 5 or 6 cups a day at work. I never noticed any changes at all, nor did I notice any at the weekends where I wasn't at work and therefore wouldn't drink coffee. And then of course stopped drinking it entirely in March when going to work stopped being a thing. Again, didn't notice any changes at all.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  20. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

I've got a question : How do You call "tea" in Your native language ?
    In PL it's "herbata" ;)