The Chronicles of "18, but not on earth"

Calanthian

Emperor
The Chronicles of "18, but not on earth"

This is the thread in which IN CHARACTER communication takes place considering a Beyond the Sword v3.19 PBEM game: "18, but not on earth".

Also known as the STORY THREAD.

Dangun Wanggeom, grandson of heaven

Dangun Wanggeom was the legendary founder of Gojoseon, the first Korean kingdom, around present-day Liaoning, Northeast China, and the Korean Peninsula. He is said to be the "grandson of heaven", and to have founded the kingdom in 4000 BC. The earliest recorded version of the Dangun legend appears in the 13th century Samguk Yusa, which cites China's Book of Wei and Korea's lost historical record Gogi (古記).

Dangun's ancestry legend begins with his grandfather Hwanin (환인; 桓因), the "Lord of Heaven".

Hwanin had a son, Hwanung, who yearned to live on the earth among the valleys and the mountains. Hwanin permitted Hwanung and 3,000 followers to descend onto Baekdu Mountain, where Hwanung founded Sinsi (신시; 神市, "City of God"). Along with his ministers of clouds, rain, and wind, he instituted laws and moral codes and taught humans various arts, medicine, and agriculture. Legend attributes the development of acupuncture and moxibustion to Dangun, though it was more likely brought into the country from a Chinese colonial prefecture.

A tiger and a bear prayed to Hwanung that they may become human. Upon hearing their prayers, Hwanung gave them 20 cloves of garlic and a bundle of mugwort, ordering them to eat only this sacred food and remain out of the sunlight for 100 days. The tiger gave up after about twenty days and left the cave. However, the bear remained and was transformed into a woman.

The bear-woman (Ungnyeo; 웅녀; 熊女) was grateful and made offerings to Hwanung. However, she lacked a husband, and soon became sad and prayed beneath a "Sindansu" (신단수; 神檀樹, "Divine Betula") tree to be blessed with a child. Hwanung, moved by her prayers, took her for his wife and soon she gave birth to a son, who was named Dangun Wanggeom.

Dangun ascended to the throne, built the walled city of Asadal and called the kingdom Joseon. He then moved his capital to Asadal on Mount Baegak.

Thus the story of Dangun Wanggeom, grandson of heaven, begins..

NARRATOR TEXT

In the beginning…

… there was nothing. And I could write here about the big bang theory, the earth cools, humans begin walking the earth and settle into tribes, blah blah blah. You know the story. But have you ever thought about the idea of parallel universes? How there could be another you in almost the exact same world, except there are slight differences. Instead of being into Civ 4 seven years after it came out, maybe you still play Diablo 2. Maybe you are more modern and are obsessed with World of Warcraft. These would be very close parallel universes, almost mirror images of one another with only slight changes.

Think of when you are out shopping and look at yourself when there are two slightly angled mirrors. There are hundreds of you standing in line into a seemingly infinite tunnel. The main reflection is like that other you that plays Diablo instead of Civ. The second one behind him might play World of Warcraft. A few hundred down the line and maybe you are a professional athlete of some sort. These are all the same universe, just parallel timelines. Some of them are further from this world’s version of you and some are closer. Really stop and think about this for a minute. We can see hundreds of our alternate universe selves. But its more than that, not just thousands. Not millions. Literally an infinite number of yourself, with slight changes from one to another making some of them grow into completely different versions of you.

Now I’d like to take you on a walk down the hallway you see in the mirrors. The farther you walk, the farther you are getting away from the current you. Actually, lets not walk, lets run. Run faster, because we have a long way to go, the door is about 15 miles down the hallway…

Good, you made it! 15 miles is a long way, you must be exhausted! Better perk up though, because once we go through this door your life will change. This door leads to another parallel universe with another you inside of it. But we came a long way – this universe isn’t even remotely close to the one you know anymore. This universe has many fundamental changes, most of which even I don’t know. Here’s what I do know – the earth formed differently in this world. Anyone who’s ever watched “Jurassic Park” knows about the concept of Chaos Theory. I’m no expert, but one of the concepts is that there is no pattern to the world; start a ball rolling downhill and it will take a different path each time you push it.

This is what happened here. This is still the third planet from the sun (or is it?). The approximate distance from the sun is about right to create water and allow primitive life forms to survive. But here is where things start changing. The tectonic plates that form the land masses we know in our world are purely based on the randomness of the cooling of the earth. In this universe, the plates cooled differently. How they formed is anyone’s guess, because there is no internet, no computers and no satellites. You see in this world the ice age didn’t just last 10,000 years, it lasted 20,000. Humans developed at a similar rate, but with most of the world encased in ice, they could not settle down into what we call primitive civilizations. They were forced to keep on the move, tracking what little food there was for an extra 10,000 years. The population boom happened much more slowly, and the result of all this is that your alternative self isn’t a computer gamer, he is a hunter. One of the top hunters of his tribe actually. The Ice Age has long since ended, and your peers are finally realizing that the fruits of the earth can be harvested and you may be able to stay in your current encampment permanently.

There are 18 of you that can travel through this door and see what this alternative you is dealing with. You have been selected because you are the ones in this universe that will become the leaders of your respective tribes. Some of you were elected to lead the tribe due to your hunter-gatherer prowess and leadership abilities. Some of you were thrust into the role simply because your father before you led the tribe. And some of you took control of the tribe by killing the one before you. However the means, the result is the same – your people are looking up to you to help them survive. Nay, not just survive, THRIVE. Expand. Build an empire. An empire that the world will look up to. An empire that will stand the test of time.

Open the door and look in.

This is your world now.

These are your people.

This is your… civilization!

Dumuzid the Shepherd

The year was 4000BC, and the sun rose into the Sumerian sky. Dumuzid looked down on his people, timid as the sheep that populated these hills in numbers. Well, this is one sorry lot to work with, he thought to himself. But no matter, sheep can sometimes be turned into wolves (or, Vultures, for that matter).

King? No, I am no king, he ventured. Kings have walls, and soldiers, and shiny things that sparkle. Here, we mostly have sheep. So they shall call me.. the Sheperd.

A story as told by Eclipse4449...

As the Founders Day festivities winds down, the small crowd moves to a small improvised shelter where Ulundi's Governor and Zululand Ruler will be appointed.
The whispering is surprisingly loud among the small gathering, but ceases when a man enters behind them. Formally known as Shaka to most is now calling himself Eclipse. Its Shaka one man blurts out! Continuing forward to where everyone had been focusing when he entered, raising his hands in the air as if to say "I need your attention"

As you all well know we have arrived here and found this place suitable to sustain life, but we lack Leadership if we are to thrive! And I stand before you all and tell you it is I who can do this! Is there anyone else who feels they are better than me in this Quest? The crowd falls so silent that you can hear the pigs grazing far off in the distance. Than it is Done! I Eclipse will lead us so long as I Live!

Eclipse
Are there any Warriors here today? Know one spoke a word.
Ok, A Scout? A timid man half heartedly raises his hand.
Great! What is your name son? Grunt, Man with thick feet. he said.
Ok Grunt, you will be the first to see where Zululand will make their homes. Go now, take this small hatched and report back to me as soon as you can!

Grunt
Aaaa,huh? ok? Grunt, grunt, grunt, wondering why he is being called Grunt.

Whilst everyone follows, Grunt heads East toward a forest, upon entering Grunt takes to his knee and covers his head as the Birds take flight from the trees. Looking back at the people clearly embarrassed pushes forward.

As all eyes turn back to Eclipse with questionable gazes set. Eclipse smiles and says, "Did any of you raise your hand for what was clearly unknown, He did, and he will do a great service for our people" Now, Go now and work your areas during the day and plant your seeds during the night.

As the crowd breaks he realizes he must do this again twice more today.

The Rise of Night Hawk, Dinh of the Cherokee Nation

The Cherokee Nation was a group of nomadic tribes, establishing temporary residences in an area until they noticed a decrease in the population of the local game. They would then move on to a new area in order to survive to be able to feed their people. The Cherokee were if nothing else, practical; although they were a large group, they could survive in an area for almost an entire generation before moving on. Most Cherokee hunters only went through the nomadic moving process once in their lifetime.

The story of Night Hawk has to begin with his father, Talking Bull, the great-grandson of the founder of the Cherokee Nation, Sitting Bull. Talking Bull was the teacher of the Cherokee hunters. When a Cherokee boy turned 10 he would be sent to work with Talking Bull for the next two years, learning and practicing his skill with the club and bow. Talking Bull was a necessary evil within the Cherokee lands. His skill with words allowed him to teach even the most dim-witted Cherokee youths, however his bull-headed nature left the tribes divided on many issues.

The leader (or “dinh”) of the Cherokee was Greybeard Fox, a wise old man who led the Cherokee to their current surroundings – a great forest off the coast of a large sea with warm temperatures and good hunting. However Greybeard was old, and when he passed from this earth in the year 4000BC, the tribes knew the decision to name their next leader would be trying. Cherokee tradition stated that all of the hunters would gather for a three day meeting to come to an agreement about who among them should lead the Nation.

Talking Bull, thinking himself the most important hunter in the tribe, of course began travelling among the encampments, making his case to be the next leader of the tribe. His great-grandfather before him brought our people together, he would say, just imagine what he could accomplish as dinh. His first-born son, Night Hawk, along with his two brothers, came on these journeys in support of Talking Bull, as any good son would do. You see Night Hawk, while he was the most accomplished hunter in the Cherokee Nation, was also not known for his speaking skills and generally kept to himself. He was thoughtful and almost every Cherokee person; man, woman, child all loved Night Hawk. He thought of others before himself and was considered the thread that kept the tribes tied together.

Night Hawk was named so for his keen vision, especially at night. No one else in the tribe could hunt as effectively as him after the sun went down below the earth. At a young age, Night Hawk was able to kill the smallest and quickest of the game with one shot from his bow during even the darkest nights. He was named “Hawk” for his ability to quickly kill his target with ruthless abandon, “Night” for when he did his best work. He was in the prime of his life and known throughout the tribes as being the best hunter, even if not the most polished with his skills. His methods were strange, yet surprisingly effective.

After a week of mourning for Greybeard (during which of course Talking Bull thought it appropriate to tell everyone why he should be dinh), the tribes sent all of their most accomplished hunters to gather on the shores of the Clean Lake, a small clear lake in the northern half of the Great Woods. During the three day gathering, much was spoken of many hunters, including Talking Bull. Greybeard was honored routinely; however the hunters were at a standstill. Everyone mentioned had major flaws. Talking Bull especially was regarded as too full of himself and many wondered whether he would do what was best for the Nation and not himself when hard times inevitably fell upon them. It seemed as if no decision was a good decision, and many began wondering whether the tribes might go their separate ways into the wilderness.

At the end of the second day, a group of hunters around the fire, including Night Hawk, wondered aloud what their fate would be and how they would handle the ruthless world without strength in numbers. Night Hawk said, “I think I may keep my family here by the Clean Lake. There is enough to sustain us here between the fruits of the lake, the wild corn fields nearby and the game in the woods. We have never travelled in my lifetime and I see no reason to start now.”

The hunters were shocked, yet the logic was flawless. That night and all of the next day the idea of staying put spread through the encampments like wildfire. Night Hawk’s strange idea was taking root and many were considering naming him dinh of the Cherokee people. Talking Bull, upon hearing the idea, said, “There is no way such a plan would work for all of us. The game population has clearly been decreasing over the last decade. We would hunt all the animals clear of the Great Woods and then what?”

When prompted with the question, Night Hawk said, “What about the wild corn fields to the north and the rice fields to the south? We already consume the fruits of these plants regularly, could we not harvest and grow them ourselves to provide enough food to feed our people? If we can control the game population there is no reason why our people can’t stay here forever.”

To this, Talking Bull had no response. And with no response, there was no stopping the wave of support for Night Hawk which followed. By that evening Night Hawk was elected dinh of the Cherokee Nation. There was a celebration for three days to commemorate the selection of their new leader, and even Talking Bull began to feel satisfied that the choice was right and the people could survive. Because really what risk was there? Even if there was not enough food to survive, they would have to move anyway and Night Hawk would lose all credibility, giving Talking Bull just the opportunity to seize control of the Cherokee…

With his first orders, Night Hawk said, “Let us divide the Nation into two factions. The first shall stay with me up here by the Clean Lake and harvest the corn fields. The second shall set up permanent residence in the southern half of the woods near the rice fields. We shall begin work on a great road to link our encampments and share the fruits of the earth among us. Only hunt for game when absolutely necessary in order to sustain the local population. If we do this, our days of travelling are finished!”

And so the beginnings of the permanent residences of the Cherokee Nation were made. Work was started on a fine palace in which Night Hawk and his family should live as dinh of the people. The northern encampment was named “Golden Monkey” after the strange golden monkeys which roamed the Great Woods. The southern encampment was named “Raven’s Claw” after the numerous ravens which flew over the rice fields and hunted the small animals in the area. Being the resourceful people they were some of the men began research into the strange rocks which littered the hill-tops of the Great Woods, hoping to find some use for them…

Chapter 1; A New Leader

As the Founders Day festivities winds down, the small crowd moves to a small improvised shelter where Ulundi's Governor and Zululand's Ruler will be appointed.
The whispering is surprisingly loud among the small gathering, but ceases when a man enters behind them. Formally known as Shaka to most is now calling himself Eclipse.
Its Shaka one man blurts out! Continuing forward to where everyone had been focusing when he entered, raising his hands in the air as if to say "I need your attention"

As you all well know we have arrived here and found this place suitable to sustain life, but we lack Leadership if we are to thrive! And I stand before you all and tell you it is I who can do this! Is there anyone else who feels they are better than me in this Quest? The crowd falls so silent that you can hear the sheep grazing far off in the distance. Than it is Done! I Eclipse will lead us so long as I Live!

Eclipse
Are there any Warriors here today? Know one spoke a word.
Ok, A Scout? A timid man half heartedly raises his hand.
Great! What is your name son? Grunt, Man with thick feet. he said.
Ok Grunt, you will be the first to see where Zululand will make their homes. Go now, take this small hatched and report back to me as soon as you can!

Grunt
Aaaa,huh? ok? Grunt, grunt, grunt, wondering why he is being called Grunt.

Whilst everyone follows, Grunt heads East toward a forest, upon entering Grunt takes to his knee and covers his head as the Birds take flight from the trees. Looking back at the people clearly embarrassed pushes forward.

As all eyes turn back to Eclipse with questionable gazes set. Eclipse smiles and says, "Did any of you raise your hand for what was clearly unknown, He did, and he will do a great service for our people" Now, Go now and work your areas during the day and plant your seeds during the night.

As the crowd breaks he realizes he must do this again twice more today.

The Scout now known as Grunt has been wandering from forest to forest in search of anything worthy of mentioning to his people for some time now, he still carries in one hand a small hatchet given to him by Shaka who now calls himself Eclipse. All alone, desperate to achieve the admiration of his people he stumbles over a small fallen tree and falls on his back, gazing up he shrouds his eyes, between the trees the brightest rays of the sun god shines directly on him and he feels renewed, but a new urge to grab his belly and launch forth a rancid burst of air becomes his next achievement, he has not yet learned what to forage and what to leave alone.

Gathering himself up, he is stopped in his tracks by the sound of a wild animal’s growl!!! Grunt runs for his life and re-earns his real name “man with thick feet”

Whatever it was he did not see, but that growl was a good enough thing to tell his people. Running back for a turn he arrives not at Ulundi where he began this journey, but in a small village called Nobama where he rushes into the first shelter he sees. Entering unannounced and banging his head on the main beam, grabbing his head he shouts GRUNT Grunt GRUNT! and stomps his feet! The small child there alone gave out a whale and soon after his mother appears. Not recognizing this Scout she steps between him and her child a sternly points at the flap. Grunt grabbing his head looks at her and goes the way she pointed.

Outside a man appears and says “Grunt your back!” Grunt rubs his face and says “Eclipse?” Yes it is I.
I’ve come to ask who leads this small village? The woman’s husband emerges and joins his wife’s side along with a small boy. I guess I do as it is just the two us here. Not wasting any time Eclipse grabs a skin from his pouch and hands it to the man. He sees it is a drawing of a village and two figures and a third figure much larger than the others and points at his chest and points at the larger figure. The man and the woman immediately shows respect and points toward their dwelling, but Eclipse still has another village he knows is out there somewhere, he must again repeat this act.
With a smile one might take as deception he turns and leaves.

When the distance was great the young boy insistently tugged on his mother’s home spun and blurted out in their native tongue that he has seen that man appear right next to The Great Shaka on top a hill, he hit Shaka on the head and picked him up and threw him into the Sun God and disappeared. The father smiles and pats his young son on his head and thinks to himself “what an imagination”

Where did we come from?

Under the many moons of the 18th alternative universe of Earth, the people begin to wonder… where did we come from? Did the bright orange circle in the sky create all life on Earth, including those of us who walk and hunt and spread our seeds? Or is it the silver globes that light our tracks during the time of hunting? Is the Earth herself the one that chooses the destiny of the people?

Many questions, few answers.

Hundreds of years we have been here on this land. Yet no one on this Earth has uncovered the secrets of the universe. The people are adept at survival… whether it be farming, mining, fishing or hunting, all across the world humans are finding their place above the beasts which roam the lands. Our intellect sets us above the other living things. Will our intellect be the root of our downfall?

Nothing can be answered… if we don’t have a reason for our being, how can we possibly have answers for anything else? We are beginning to understand our world. But it is slow moving. Other universes may not have spread our seed as quickly as we are, but at least they have explanations for the world around them.

The people begin to wonder. The question is not “Will we begin to explain the reasons for the world around us?” but rather “WHO will be the first to come up with an answer?”

And so God looked down upon them.

And God smiled.

-----------------
After crossing the river Eclipse stops, unsure of the direction of this third Zulu Village, No need to look North from which he had just came and was fairly certain off to the left a ways would be where his journey began, so it must be over the hills ahead.

Thinking hard how he was going to explain how much time had elapsed since the villages had been settled and not made himself known to them as their new leader, wait not new leader but leader! I have to get that right.

Unaware of his surroundings, Eclipse climbs the second hill known to the people as the “Hill they pray”.
This is where he arrived not long ago and battled an opposing figure his own size.

Here he opened his eyes and a man was standing before him, before he realized what was happening the man adorned in a feathered piece on his head struck at him with a great club, in defense Eclipse raised his arms to block the mighty blow. A crack rang out and split the Great club in two, the top nearly missing his own head, the other half still tightly gripped in the hand of a man with eyes wide open.

Shaka
Bewildered takes a step back and blinks his eyes, did the man who just appeared before him come from his prayer?

With a feeling that this was an omen, moves to swing his club, but as he does, the figures raises his arms and stops the mighty blow. That should have not happened like that, my club has never failed me and all I have struck with it have perished excepted for he.

Stunned he steps back and the man reaches and takes hold of the Chief's headdress and grins, he then half turns away only to send an upward punch turning the Chief's day into a dark abyss.

Eclipse places the feathered piece on his head like it had just been, and keenly senses another presence.
He turns to see two small children, a girl standing among some sheep and behind him a boy watching him from the edge of the forest he had just been.

Eclipse rubs his face vigorously and looks again and the children are nowhere to be seen. Wait, did that just happen or did it happen again?

Just then a crack from the sky and then another, and a figure falls from the sky falling into a tree catching every branch as he plummeted to the ground. Seeing this he picks up part of a large club and descends the hill toward Mgungundlovu.

Lying on his back, no air in his lungs and reeling in pain, opens his eyes to see a large black Hawk looking down at him from above, the air enters his chest and expels it with a shrieking scream. His body twisted, a leg under him, pushes and twists his body to face the ground to puke.

The black Hawk cries out and flies high into the air, gracefully gliding on the wind, peers down and with a flap of his wings, begins to sail downwards towards Shaka, It flaps his wings again and draws them in, his descent mightily, as he reaches Shakag he once again opens his wings and with his talons extended, pushes Shaka over successfully untangling his body.

He hits the ground and tumbles off into the distance. Shaka’s leg snaps back into place and again screams with little air. Under the tree that saved his fall, a branch cracks and begins to fall nearly missing him.

Lying there, recounting the events, trying to move and feeling the pains, he passes out.

Who knows how long it’s been?

Shaka’s eyes snap open and gulps the air, he clutches his body and begins to gather himself and tries to stand.

Getting to a knee, the other gives and he again falls to the ground.
As if something touched him an image he had seen once in a Dream appeared behind his closed eyes.

It was himself, and the man that appeared in front of him looked like himself. His eyes opened wide and with a strength he did not know he had, pulled himself up on a knee and raised himself to his full height.

He said Oh my God, please help me, it is an Omen, give me the strength and guide my way!

Just then the bruised black hawk cries out and soon many more of its kind follow suit.

Shaka steps forward but shaky, towards Mgungundlovu.

Chapter 2; Confrontation

The History of Sumer

Most of the story is told in form of quotes from in-game characters, although I will vary the style now and then. Also I keep notes of important historical events.

Table of Contents:

0.0) Prologue (by rd13)

1) Ancient:
1.0) A new ruler
Quote #1
Quote #2

Spoiler History :
4000 BC Dumuzid the Shepherd founds Uruk.
3280 BC Eridu is founded.

2) Classical:

3) Medieval:

4) Renaissance:

5) Industrial:

6) Modern:

7) Future:

I hope everyone has at least as much fun reading my story as I have writing it.

Cheers.

The Silver Eyes of the Great Golden Monkey

According to the beliefs of the ancient Jewish faith, the prophet Moses happened upon a burning bush which spoke to him as the word of God. The burning bush granted Moses Ten Commandments which to this day shape the codes and laws of western society.

In the 18th alternative universe of which you are reading, on one average peninsula, in another forest not unlike any others, the Cherokee people live peacefully among the Golden Monkeys which inhabit the woods and the Ravens which fly over the rice fields. Their dinh, Night Hawk, does not appear to age like the other men. While generations have been born, lived their lives, grown old and died, Night Hawk does not look a day over 30. The people wonder how their leader can age so gracefully, yet with his wisdom and leadership they do not question it, for it seems the will of the gods.

What they don’t know is that every day Night Hawk takes a morning hike into the woods with nothing but an ear of corn to meditate on the direction of his people. Generations have passed in peace, their nomadic lifestyle long forgotten as they spread their seed upon the 18th Earth, hunting small animals, tending the fields and living a simple life. During his morning hike, Night Hawk always takes the same route, passing by a small spring which is the beginning of what turns into a mighty river. Most travel routes between the northern and southern Cherokee encampments are to the north of the spring in order to safely get around the river. However it is due to the river that Night Hawk hikes south as he enjoys the sound of the rapids.

On all of his journeys he encounters the Golden Monkeys which inhabit these particular woods, however during one his walks there is one particular Monkey which follows Night Hawk for many wheels. Upon reaching the spring, the Monkey scampers ahead, stopping Night Hawk. Amazingly, the monkey spoke to him.

“Night Hawk, dinh of the Cherokee, stop and listen to these words which are native to your tongue.”

Shocked, Night Hawk does what anyone else would do… stare.

“I am this mother Earth upon which you now stand. For millennia I have stood by watching you humans develop from the same Golden Monkey which I now speak through. You have done well, peacefully co-existing with one another and the world around you. However, that peace is now threatened.”

The Monkey jumps to the spring and splashes water into the air wildly, and in the falling mist Night Hawk sees a shimmering image. In it two brothers begin fighting over a piece of land… land which is available to anyone all over the world. The fight ends with one brother killing the other in a hate filled rage.

“This image you see is one of thousands. A Presence has entered our world which is foreign to me, and it has caused nothing but chaos and torment to all living things. It threatens to destroy the entire world upon which you now stand. You humans have been blessed with extraordinary minds; minds with the ability to create and invent great things for this world… and things worse than you or I can even imagine. If this presence is allowed to continue the world will descend into chaos and end in fire.

You have been chosen to do the work of mother Earth. Your incredible vitality is no accident – this spring which you visit gives the gift of life. With each splash to your face you gain more time on this planet. The vitality of the planet itself soaks into your pores, slowing your aging process to that of the entire Earth. I have allowed you to visit the fountain because you have proven to be a benevolent leader of men; the type of leader who can make a difference in the world, remove this Presence and promote peace among men.

In exchange for this gift of life, mother Earth asks that you act on Her behalf, discover the beauty of this planet and the men which inhabit it, and remove those who have been touched by the Presence. Defend this world, promote peace and earthly beauty and you shall live as long as you desire.”

Finally Night Hawk develops the courage to speak, “But Great Golden Monkey… I am but a simple hunter with a bow and arrow. How can I possibly cleanse the earth of the Presence??”

In response: “Remember this day. Your days upon this Earth will grow long, and the human race shall grow and develop wonders which will seem impossible to your old eyes. You must stay true to yourself and in time, you shall develop tools which will aid your work. The time of the humans is but a small one in the great lifecycle of the Earth, but unless this Presence is stopped it will be the end of us both.”

And with the ending of those words, the Monkey began to float to the sky. Night Hawk realizes it is now dark and the silver eyes of the Golden Monkey become the dual full moons which mark the peak of the Cherokee hunting season… which was still 3 full weeks away from the day he left on this particular morning walk.

Chapter 2; Confrontation

The Black Hawk's cries surround him, they became the rhythm of his steps, nearly a fallen soldier from this battle, or it would have been for almost anyone else, yet he summons the strength from within to push forward.

The image of himself was all he focused on, he has never seen two people look the same, therefore he new there was something very wrong and he knew he must confront it and rid his tribe of this Omen.

Now not only the black hawks but other birds join in, they arrive in a "V" formation overhead with a White Dove in the lead.
They land as they were in flight and point Shaka in a new direction. As he moves forward they part allowing him to pass.

This new direction is not a direct path but is the easiest to negotiate and in turn allows him to gather more of his strength before he would arrive in Mgungundlovu.

Meanwhile in Mgungundlovu Eclipse arrives and calls to the two men off in the distance to gather the rest of the people of the village. His goal is to quickly claim his rights as the overall elder of this tribe and gain their trust. Knowing everything that Shaka knows and then some, will aid him if somehow Shaka appears, and claims he is an impostor.

Mgungundlovu​

As Shaka descends from the valley, he sees Mgungundlovu, he stoops and looks up into the Sun, and down at his shadow, he stands and his shadow descends farther down the hill like a giant. Shaking off some more of his soreness, he then quickens his pace towards the Village.

When Eclipse entered the Hovel just a few minutes ago he wasted no time and brought out the same skin he had used in the last village, it still depicted the same image but now some scratchings were added to represent 3 small villages. A brave steps forward, he looks at Eclipse and looks at the drawing and back up at Eclipse and snatches the skin from Eclipse's hands. The small crowd grasps, This man is young but is much older than the others, he claps his hands for silence and closes his eyes. Eclipse stunned at this man's bravery pauses. The man opens his eyes and speaks loud and clear, You are not Shaka, This is not Shaka's way! I Remember! Shaka would not come to claim something that is already his. Murmurs of agreement filled the room. A young man shouts, Take him to the Table!

Inside the largest Hovel a man contests Eclipse's claim of overall Leadership of Zululand. Their elbows down on a table and their hands clasped, it is thought that the winner here would decided the Role.

As Shaka reaches the Green Grass just outside the Village he notices a figure emerge from the Forest. Shaka waves and signals him over, he sees him and responds.
Man with Thick Feet I'm glad I see you here.
Bewildered that the Great Shaka is glad to see him arrives and looks expectantly at Shaka. What have you been doing? Man with Thick Feet smiles and thinks to himself, "Is this a Test?" but says "I was scouting the forests as you ordered.
My Dear boy Do you know who I am? Man with Thick Feet looks at Shaka puzzled and is urged on to say, The Great Shaka! Well lets just keep it real and call me Shaka, Who ordered you to scout the lands? Um you did, looking unsure.

Shaka Grasping Man with Thick Feet's shoulders to calm a mild episode of stuttering. No I Didn't! :nono: A few days ago on the Hill they pray a man appeared and nearly killed me! Since then I've noticed signs, I believe we have an Omen, for when I looked upon myself in the water I saw this man. He has mighty power for I looked down at the tree I fell threw. When I awoke it was like the Forests around the hills came alive with birds. When I woke some time later I could barely move but I was shown a sign, the birds were guiding my way, Its hard to describe but I feel like they are working with me. Did this man look like me Man with Thick Feet? Yes

ANCIENT​

1.0) A new ruler:
The year is 3800 BC 200 auc (ab after urbe uruks condita c... Well this thing would have been a lot easier if I had taken control of a Roman leader, this way I have to rely on Count1 for making Latin puns.), and two centuries have passed since the city of Uruk was founded under the benevolent rule of Dumuzid the Shepherd. The city and with it the whole Sumerian Empire, if you could call it that, flourished and already after the second generation there was not one single individual in the known world left that still exercised a nomadic lifestyle. However not everything was perfect: Like every other mortal, Dumuzid had to forever leave this plane of existence in the end, and it became obvious that his extraordinary ability to fairly and charismatically lead the people of Uruk was not to be inherited with the blood. His offspring which would rule the people of Sumer declined in quality more and more with each generation that passed. The only son of Dumuzid himself, Daruzid, began to utilize an upcoming cult, the Shafepche, which basically worshiped sheep as worldly incarnations of the Gods, to legitimize his rule and the later succession by his dearest relatives. Exactly how the early Shafepche priests were able to deduce the righteousness of hereditary rule from their theological studies remains shred in mystery, however it was rumored that the long and deep personal friendship shared between Daruzid and Hamersja, the leader of the Shafepche, maybe had something to do with it.
By the tenth generation, the baffling corruption of the Shepherd dynasty and the support it got from the increasingly powerful Shafepche priests had split the people of Uruk more and more into two opposing factions. The one group, which swallowed all of the priests claims, believed that they would ascend to a higher plane of existence where they never had to suffer any hunger or pain again as long as they brought sacrifices to and worshiped the sheep. The rest of the population criticized these more piously minded citizens as naive idiots, after all they would have more than enough to eat wouldn´t they sacrifice most of their daily harvest to the holy creatures, which are eatable by themselves too, although that again was forbidden by law since Bouizid I. came to power in 59 auc. Many citizens considered emigrating and founding a new city, far away from the zealous government which became increasingly oppressive day by day.
Two big events provided the final motivation for many of Uruks populace to leave their homes and look for a new place. The first one was the discovery of another people that had evolved independently from the Sumerian nation, the Indian Empire, which supposedly lied in a more fertile region. Their total obliviousness to the veneration of sheep made them an attractive goal for many of Uruks to-be-settlers. The second and more important reason was the so called "Unnarbektsulje", which roughly translates into "This what should never be forgiven". Although the zid-dynasty and their henchmen of priests were a heavy burden for the people, never in the known history of Uruk has one human killed another one. That changed with the third "Cerlbje", an extraordinarily rare religious festivity whose roots lie in the origin of the Shafepche itself. Its basic premise was that all humans would collectively ascend into paradise as soon as they have left behind their last level of egoism. In irregular intervals, as soon as the high priests thought mankind was ready to go the next step, they announced a new Cerlbje, which involved lots of dance, drugs, mystical chantings and the most important of all: Sacrifices. To leave this plane of existence, you had to give up everything you considered important. With every Cerlbje the list of things you had to sacrifice every time when at least one moon and the sun both were visible at the same time was extended. From the first Cerlbje on it consisted of all vegetable food you found that day, after the second one every animal you captured, except for sheep of course.
That was already annoying enough for the non-members of the cult, but the third Cerlbje crossed the line by the priests announcing that this time every child born to a cultist or his family was to be victimized. Soon after this proclamation fighting broke out in the city holding almost 3.000 citizens that day, with the nonbelievers and ex-cultists that lost their faith due to this cruelty on one side and the zeals and Shepherd-loyalists on the other. The battle was quickly over and the cultists got overwhelmed followed by the killing of the priests and the grownups of the zid-family. Afterwards all surviving believers had to publicly announce that they gave up their faith, or they were expelled into the vast tundra to the north.
Although the general mood in Uruk was hopeful, many couldn´t stand the thought of living in a place where so much blood has been shed, and wandered to the south in the hope that the Indian People might be peacefuller. So only about 500 Sumerians inhabited the town now while the majority of its former population was either dead, wandering or in exile. Still there was one hope left for Sumer: Gilgamesh.

"Our intelligence reports that Ethiopia seems to exploit the chaos that broke out in India after the last despot suddenly vanished without leaving any clear line of succession. While the Sumerian Empire is not known for interfering in foreign matters, this sudden aggression forces us to step in if we want to live in safety ourselves, especially after the recent development of casting techniques for a newly found substance called "Copper", which allows the cheap mass production of more dangerous melee arms than ever before in the known history. We give the Ethiopian and Indian Empires respectively one generation to explain the chain of events that led to this war, before we send Scouts to examine the situation ourselves and begin with an arms build-up. This is not to be understood as a threat, but as a hint to revert from your warmongering ways before it is too late. The Sumerian people has yet only experienced three incidents of violence on a large scale, one of them within our own populace, and that was three times too much. No matter what gods you may believe in, do you really think you are making them feel proud of their creation if you treat each other with hatred and contempt? Certainly not.
Let us use this newfound Copper to create gigantic wonders honoring the gods, not to make spears and axes to kill our neighbor. Let us use the Stone from the earth to build houses for our elders to live in, not to erect walls to separate one nation from the other. Let us use the wood of the trees to make toys for our children, not to assemble bows to launch arrows on the innocent. Don´t you see that the fate of humanity is creation and exploration, not pain and suffer? Don´t you feel better when you surprise your beloved ones with a gift instead of ambushing your enemies with a death trap? For the sake of all that is innocent and beautiful in this world, please don´t force us to bestow peace on you with violence, our soldiers have families waiting at home too, they have dreams and hopes and emotions and the will to live and let live. And I am sure the Ethiopians and Indians love their children too, so don´t think we are threatening you, we aren´t. No, we are begging you to reconsider your ways, if not for each other, than at least for your own families.
We expect your answer as soon as possible."
- Speech of Gilgamesh Durumai to be forwarded by the messengers visiting the Ethiopian and Indian Capitals

Top Bottom