The City of Sycorax

zorven

12,000 Suns
Welcome to the Information Office of Sycorax.

Here you will find information and discussions related to the city.

Sycorax is located on the coast in the Northwest corner of Quirinal Province. We are approximately 10 tiles Southeast of the capital city of Noshuret.

In Room 2 you will find city planning information and a current map. In Room 4 you will find a history of the city. Please do not enter Room 1, that is my office.

Residents:
* zorven

Thank you for stopping in,

zorven
Mayor

Our humble beginnings....

1818 AD:

Build Queue

1) Colosseum
2) Barracks
3) Coastal Fortress
4) Airport
5) Mass Transit

Laborer Assignments
Mine one irrigated grassland.

Comprehensive Worker Plan
I recommend the following plan for worker improvements to the surrounding tiles. This is based on the discussion here. This will allow for a city size of 20 with 35 spt and 51 cpt (before corruption or city improvements).

Current Overview

Mayor zorven,
Thank you for making a city thread for Yet Another City. I hope YAC grows to greatness :D

The Ongoing History of Sycorax

470 AD
Yet Another City is founded. Production begins on a worker to improve the the surrounding lands.

480 AD - 600 AD
Worker completed and begins to build a road south to Gingerbread City. Production begins on a Spearman to garrison the city.

610 AD - 700 AD
Spearman production is changed to Settler to help the province expand. Yet Another City grows to Class 2. A Spearman unit arrives to replace the current Legionary garrison.

710 AD - 800 AD
The city grows to Class 3 and completes production of a settler, thus reducing the city to Class 1. Production is begun on a library. Roads now connect the city with the rest of the empire, bringing in strategic and luxury resources.

810 AD - 910 AD
The city grows to Class 2 and continues construction of a new Library.

920 AD - 1010 AD
The city grows to Class 3 and continues construction ot the Library.
We celebrate our 500th birthday in 970 AD :bday:

1020 AD - 1110 AD
The city grows to Class 4 and continues construction of our great Library.

1120 AD - 1190 AD
The city grows to Class 5 and is almost done building the Library.

1200 AD - 1270 AD
Our Library has opened!! The city grows to Class 6 and begins construction of a Granary.

1275 AD - 1315 AD
The city experienced a halt to all production as our citizens celebrated the change of our government to a Democracy. Afterwards, work resumed on the Granary.

1320 AD - 1360 AD
The city completed construction of the Granary. The city then began work on 2 Workers in support of the Size 12 Plan, one of which was completed. Our city stands at Class 5.

1365 AD - 1395 AD
We finished building a Worker and changed overt to military production (Cavalry) to support the upcoming war against Egypt. We grew back to Class 5 and will grow again to Class 6 in a few short years.

1400 AD - 1420 AD
The city continued production of a Cavalry unit and grew to Class 6.

1425 AD - 1470 AD
The city remained at Class 6. Production was changed from a Cavalry to a Musketman to garrison our cities. Work was begun on an Aquaduct to allow the city to grow.
Our city celebrated our 1000th anniversary in 1470 AD :bday:

1475 AD - 1490 AD:
When the city was founded, the required paperwork was sent to the Capitol to request a name be assigned to the city. While waiting for a response, the citizens began jokenly referring to the settlement as "Yet Another City". Well, a response never came from the Capitol, and Yet Another City became the de facto name of the city. Recently, historians were researching the government archives at the Capitol, and they found the original paperwork that was submitted to request a name for our great city. And much to everyone's surprise, it had been processed and a name was assigned! Thus, with great ceremony, Governor deshelbr presented Mayor zorven with the paperwork that officially names our great city "Sycorax".

1495 AD - 1545 AD
Our city completed an Aquaduct which has allowed our city to grow to Class 7. We are currently building a Marketplace that will allow our citizens to be happier and will bring in additional gold for our treasury.

1550 AD - 1570 AD
Our people are much happier and richer since the completion of our great Marketplace. The addition of this large retail center has caused our poplution to increase to make Sycorax a Class 8 city. With the plans to construct a Courhouse begun, we anticipate a safer city that will attract even more citizens to our great Sycorax.

1575 AD - 1600 AD
Sycorax has become a beacon to the populace of Fanatica. The city's past improvements, together with our plans for the future and our wonderful location on the coast and at the base of the Sycorax Hills, more and more citizens are moving here. During the last 25 years, almost 200,000 people have joined our fair city. Sycorax is now a Class 10 city! With the soon to be completed Courthouse, I am sure this city will be growing for years to come.

1605 AD - 1650 AD
Sycorax is booming! 224,000 more citizens now call Sycorax home, making the city Class 12. We have completed construction on the beautifully designed Public Safety Complex (Courthouse). Construction has also been completed on a new Harbor which will allow for larger fishing fleets, more commercial traffic, and the potential for naval construction companies to move to Sycorax. With all the new residents and commercial opportunities, we are developing a new industrial complex that will contain new, state of the art Factories. These Factories will allow our city to be more productive and produce more goods for our citizens and for trade. It is good to live in Sycorax!

1655 AD - 1670 AD
Grants from the national government have allowed Sycorax to expediate the construction of the new industrial complex. This added manufacturing capacity has allowed us to use pre-fabricated constuction materials to quickly build a new religous center (God's Temple). It has also allowed us to make significant progess on the construction of Sycorax University. This new learning center will help educate our citizens and expand the opportunities within Sycorax.

1675 AD - 1700 AD
Sycorax University is now accepting applications for enrollment! This great center of learning will act as a beacon of enlightenment for not only our city, but our nation and the rest of the world. War has come to Fanatica, and our city is pitching in. Our mighty industrial complex is building the FS Sycorax - the newest and most deadly battleship on the seas.

1705 AD - 1710 AD
War has been brought to the nation of Fanatica, and it is now having an effect on the daily lives of citizens of Sycorax. Important luxuries that were being imported have been halted. This has caused some rioting within the city that has interrupted the normal production and commerce of the city. Riot police are working to contain the situation, and emergency plans have been initiated to provide additional entertainment options for the people to help distract them from our current situation.

1715 AD - 1754 AD
The people of Sycorax are enjoying the benefits of living in our fine city. Those of faith have a new grand Cathedral to worship in. Our growing city, now Class 13, is also benefiting from the new Sycorax University Hospital. This state of the art facility not only teaches the latest techniques to the next generation of doctors, but also helps maintain the health and happiness of our citizens. SUH also serves the region with a Level III Trauma Center. Even during the construction of these fine additions to our city, war has continued to threaten the nation. Our shipyards have been bustling with activity. Two of the most modern class of battleships have been built here at Sycorax. These naval vessels will serve the nation and defend Fanatica from any foe that dares to strike at us!

1756 AD - 1768 AD
Sycorax's naval shipyards are so well respected that the military has ordered another battleship be produced here in Sycorax. Our enemies will learn to fear the productive and well skilled citizens of Fanatica!

Our great city has been selected as the world headquarters for FanatiCorp Bank. Mayor zorven said in the press conference "This fine company will provide employment opportunities and help grow our local economy. We are happy that FanatiCorp has chosen Sycorax and we will work closely with them to ensure they will always call Sycorax home."

1770 AD
FanatiCorp Center, the new 45 story headquarters of the banking giant is almost complete. As you can see, it will be a beautifull addition to Sycorax's skyline.

Plans have been finalized for the new Sycorax University Particle Lab. This high-tech reasearch lab will include a new particle accelerator as well as other equipment to study the most basic elements of matter. We expect the groundbreaking ceremony to take place early next year.

FanatiCorp Center - http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/fanaticorp.jpg

Sycorax University Particle Lab Concept Drawing - http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/supl.gif

1772 AD - 1790 AD
It seemed Mayor zorven was being whisked from one ceremony to another. First was the grand opening of FanitiCorp Center, the banking giant that built its new world headquarters in Sycorax. This party was a black tie affair where it seemed everyone you met you had seen in the papers or on tv. There were several speakers including the Mayor, who espoused the benefits to both FanitiCorp and Sycorax of the new headquarters.

Next, zorven was attending the opening of the new Sycorax University Particle Lab. Of this modern technology marvel Mayor zorven new little except that it was a very important tool in modern physics research. The Mayor had never heard of most of the attendees at this function. But he liked the basic foods at this party much more than the "sophisticated" selection at the FanatiCorp event.

The final major event was held at the newly built FBI (Fanatican Bureau of Investigation) office near the Criminal Justice Complex. Mayor zorven had done alot of work to get the FBI to give Sycorax the attention it needed. Sycorax continues to grow. Just this year the city was reclassified to Class 14 and it looked like Class 15 status was just over the horizen. With the larger population came more crime, and now the city would be able to count on the FBI to work closely with local officials to combat the problem.

1792 AD - 1816 AD
zorven sat at his desk frustrated. He had done countless hours of work, held countless meetings, met and talked to countless politicians and bureaucrats to develop the plans and acquire government funds for a slew of civic improvements in Sycorax. All that was left was for the signature of the Governor. And now the deadline had passed with no signature, no phone call, no correspondence of any kind. zorven knew that he and the Governor sometimes disagreed, but he was amazed at the actions, or apparent non-action, of the Governor. It seems the Governor was in bed with the military industrial complex for instead of funds and contracts for colosseums or rail systems, Sycorax recieved contracts for several transport fleets and military helicopter sqaudrons. While the construction of these units did employ citizens of Sycorax, zorven had hoped to see civic improvements that could have raised the standard of living for generations to come. Maybe there was hope for the next budget cycle. zorven thought that he should get started now to avoid the problems he just encounted. With that, he let out a deep sigh, turned to his computer, and started a new e-mail to the Governor.

Governor Bootstoots,

I would like to request that the worker currently building a road from YAC south to Gingerbread City (GC) complete that road and then build a road on the iron hills Northeast of GC. This would allow iron to be added to the national resources and connect YAC by road to the rest of the nation. Being connected by road will allow faster unit movement to and from YAC and allow luxeries to be brought to YAC.

zorven
Mayor of Yet Another City

Governor Bootstoots,

I request that after turn 1 of the next turn chat, the laborer to the SE (roaded grassland) be move to the forest NW of town. This will allow us to complete our Settler after turn 9.

I then recommend production be changed to a library to boost scientific output and enhance our culture.

Any worker that is available could mine the grassland squares next the city, starting on the SW (horses), then the SE, then the E. This will increase our shield production while we grow.

Thank you,

zorven
Mayor of Yet Another City

Governor Bootstoots,

Here is my long term planning.

My build queue is as follows:
1) Library
2) Granary
3) Aqueduct
4) Courthouse
5) Harbor
6) Marketplace
7) University

As far as worker actions:
1) mine and road the grasslands
2) mine and road the hills
3) chop forest (anytime after a hill has been roaded and mined)
4) irrigate the grasslands

As far as laborers, I guess just maximize shield output each time the city grows while maintaining growth.

Any feedback is appreciated.

(edited for grammer)

Contratulations Governor Gingerbread Man [party]

I hope you will allow me to continue my service as Mayor of Yet Another City.

Speaking of....

I have posted my current build que and worker requests in the post above. However, I see that we are experiencing higher corruption than I had expected. Therefore, please revise the build que as follows to move Courthouse higher in the que:

1) Library
2) Courthouse
3) Granary
4) Aquaduct
5) Harbor
6) Marketplace
7) University

Your Mayor,

zorven

Governor Gingerbread Man,

Here are my suggestions for Worker actions and a proposed city border.

Your Mayor,
zorven

Zorven, your instructions will be considered for next T/C. Chances are it will be included, but at the moment I am concentrated on corruption reduction.

The link to your province will be on post #1 shortly.

Also, I invite you to join the landowner game. But hurry - It's starting Friday/Saturday.

FYI, the workers mining the hills north of the city should have been mining the grasslands to the south that have laborers working on them. This assumes you have any control over them ;)

zorven
Mayor - Yet Another City

A revised build queue - I haven't accounted for building any workers as you have already done that.

1) Granary (3)
2) Marketplace - we need more happiness
3) Aquaduct

zorven
Mayor - Yet Another City

Screenshot:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/yac1320ad.jpg

Updated build queue in post 2.

Top Bottom