1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The city states will be missed thread

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Alexey86, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

In their effort to make a game for the new "instant gratification" crowd, they made Civ 5 into a game so dumbed down it was horrible to play the vanilla version.
    It was so bad it was almost like playing a game from EA.
    No seriously.

I really really hope they strive for a more advanced and realistic system this time. Civ 6 can be a beautiful and deep experience if they dont go the "lets make a game that anyone can handle!"-route.

It took two expansions to get Civ 5 back to basic Civ 4 functionality.

Please dont make that mistake again, Firaxis.

2. Haig

Haig Deity

Before Civ V, City-states were a one of the things on people's wishlists. I'm glad they are in and absolutely want them into Civ VI.

Personally they are fine the way they are now, maybe give them more personality.

3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Exactly, I love them, they aren't a threat and are quite useful to be allied to, but they need to have a slightly bigger role in the game.

4. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

I would prefer to see City-States take a more active role in Civ VI, too; perhaps being able to only directly found one city but to capture and hold more (meaning they'd occasionally declare war on other CSes or even major Civs.) I also would, as a previous poster mentioned, like to be able to safely conquer them occasionally...it's definitely no fun to have to deal with that annoying City-State taking all the good tiles and being completely untouchable.

5. TheMarshmallowBear

What civ 6 truly needs is a proper Casus Belli system, I DO think it's needed.

6. Teproc

Teproc King

I don't play EU but I think that's where people get the Casus Belli terminology from (or everyone suddenly decided to use latin terminology for no reason :p). How exactly does it work in that game, and how would it apply to Civ ?

7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions.

8. TheMarshmallowBear

Casus Belli is an excuse to go to war.

And from watching Madjinn and trying to get in EU I understood that attacking a civ without a valid Casus Belli causes great upset to the point of it being the worst choice in the game.

A Casus Belli could be used to maintain/handle Warmonger penalty better. So if you have a valid excuse to start/take part in a war. i.e Holy War, then you could set yourself either a goal, or conquer a civ depending on your situation.. or something like that.

9. beetle

beetle Deity

I don’t disagree that Civ 5 was horrible upon release. I disagree that Firaxis is targeting the “instant gratification” crowd. I think the evidence is that they are merely trying to get sales as soon as possible. We, the Civ consumer, have demonstrated a willingness to pay full MSRP for an unfinished product. That happened with III, then IV, then V. I fault Firaxis for III, but they have gotten away with this strategy twice more since, so I guess that makes them pretty clever. As Bush said, “Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool me, you can’t get fooled again.” OTOH, I am happier w/ V now than I ever was with III or IV.

10. Sorinth

Sorinth Chieftain

I'm not sure about Religion but Espionage was certainly an expansions to Civ 4. So it's not different in Civ 5 in that regard. Sure they had probably already decided on the mechanics for religion during the initial Civ 5 development. But they spent their time doing 1UPT because they knew religion could be added fairly easily afterwards.

That's not the same with City States as an expansion. They have such a huge impact on the amount of space to expand that it would screw up everything they fine-tune regarding expansion if they simply added them as an expansion. So they are either there from the beginning or gone for good.

It's not like the develop everything and then decided to cut out portions so they have stuff to add in expansions. They do the initial planning of those features so that they can be incorporated at a later date smoothly. That's why it's always things like Espionage that get added. It's such a self contained feature that it's easy to add afterwards which means there's no rush to get it in the 1st release.

11. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Kuapa lumpur could be also in there because of the current airplane hi jacking.

12. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

:confused: Kuala Lumpur has been in Civ I think since 2010. I doubt it's included because of an event in 2014.

Unless Firaxis had several years head notice...Conspiracy Theories activate!

13. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Really? What about kiev? Would kiev be added?

14. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

Good players do many things which are not playing as the developers intended. A lot of high level games have no CS, no barbs, no ruins and ban the great wall among other things such as +4 faith pantheon and +100 gold belief.

Most people who know anything about the game also ban Spain, Attila, etc.. Because they are OP free win mode.

The developers balanced the game so poorly that players have to take it upon themselves to create rules in order to make the game fair and playable in a balanced manner. This is one game where the developers intentions can be thrown out the window for the better.

In an FFA sure, these things are rarely banned, because you can team up against the person using imbalanced mechanics. In a competitive game like a duel or teamer those things simply can not be in the game because it is then just a luck fest and skill takes a back seat. Or it becomes whoever rushes "X" first wins. Real fun....

15. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

Already in, too. There are a lot of City-States in the game!

16. beetle

beetle Deity

I was talking about SP, which has been the topic of this thread. You are talking about competitive MP games or HOF trials at the very least. Fewer features == more consistency (which can have its place). Fewer features == less engaging play (which, for most people most of the time, means less fun).