The Civ3 unit library

Azimuth

Elite
The Civ3 unit library

The Engineer C&P is missing from the unit library, which I posted saying in its thread, but no-one seemed to notice. It has the issue of no sounds, though. Is that why it's not in the unit library?

There are other units in the units library which have missing things but, like the Engineer they are otherwise good units which would be hard to find if they wren't in the unit library. I could upload the files as attachments to posts that I made to fill the missing files but would they be added to the unit library post for that unit? I made 3 files that were missing for the Canoe. I could add those. Well actually it's 2 and a bit files cause one is part of a bigger file now. I could make a new file out of that and attach that to a post. Actually I could put all 3 in a zip file and attach that to a post.

But would they be added to the unit library post for the Canoe?

Will the Engineer be added? As you can see from my second post in the thread for it, I am trying to get missing files for it. Would those be added to the unit library when I got them?

Why didn't a moderator notice my post in the Engineer thread and add it to the unit library? Cause someone else updates the unit library? Should I contact them about it? Maybe I'll refer them to this post.

Moderators don't read every post in every thread. It's impossible. The sheer volume is too much that even if the staff tripled it still wouldn't be enough.

Best to PM someone about it. I would start with the unit creator, they'd probably have the file.

No one updates the Library anymore, that's probably why it went unnoticed.

The various attempts to create a Civ III unit library all petered out eventually. This is mostly because the scale of the task meant that no-one could really take the responsibility. So the existing libraries are useful compendiums of old units, but they are not up-to-date. The unit creators' library thread is a better library of more recent units, but again it is not complete since not all unit creators have made posts there.

The new file database is intended, in part, to overcome this problem by providing a single, central library of absolutely everything. Not all files have yet been uploaded to it, of course, which means it's not perfect either. However, between the old library threads, the unit creators' thread, and the file database, I should think most things are represented. There's also the search function. Failing that, you can always ask a question in the main C&C forum if you want a particular unit and can't find it.

I wanna help, especialy with CIII section!

Perfection said:
I'm bored, any way I can help?
Of course. But it's very difficult. First you have to add all the units made by any creator. Then you have to keep track of all new units released. And there are many! Then you have to sort the units in different ways. It's much easier to find something if you have the units sorted like this: creator/units in alphabetical order/date of creation. You could then sort them into Ancient/Medieval/Industrial/Modern/Future and Fantasy/Other. The most difficult part is that every time you update this, you have to change all the posts, adding the units in the right category in all type of sorts.

This would be the best way to organize a Civ3 unit library, but remember that it takes a really long time to sort them on 4 different criteria and update it often.

its very simple.. i did over 150 units within a few days.

Top Bottom