1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The climate change and flood barriers.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Starwars, Feb 16, 2019.

1. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

if you build them earlier they are actually super cheap.

think of it as "being prepared" vs. "trying to cover your *** at the last minute"

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

When you have 2 power stations, 1 nuke and 1 coal you really need to remove your coal mines to stop the station being used. It is way way way more dirty than nuke.

3. Balerune

Balerune Prince

Do the flood barriers stop fish spawning thereby lowering food levels?
    Can I build barriers like dikes to reclaim ocean tiles?

4. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Warlord

I started building a flood barrier 28 turns ago in my second largest city. At that point it said that it would be ready in four (!!!) turns. Now The four tiles I wanted to protect are submerged. Similar things happen in almost every game. This is beyond ridiculous. Isn't Civilization a game that is supposed to be based on strategic planning??

5. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Warlord

I do not understand why there is no riot among the fans over those stupid flood barriers: You can START building them but you have NO chance to know, IF you can finish them or WHEN you can finish them because the production costs are continually rising. Steam says I have played Civ6 for over 4000 hours since it was released. I really spend a lot of time with the game but now I'm almost about to quit because it is no fun any more. If only one powerful AI decides to trash the environment before you have your flood barriers, you might still be able to win the game but it takes forever because you lose your districts and your infrastructure to the sea. This is so frustrating.

6. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

It is not as bad as it used to be, due to the latest patch. Still needs work, but you can feasibly build them without rushing computers.

The bigger problem is coastal cities in general. Worse than inland cities unless Auckland and Cardiff are in the game (maybe Nan Madol), get hit by the strongest storms, and have to build flood barriers...so what is their point?

acluewithout likes this.
  7. Basajaun

Basajaun Chieftain

As far as my experience goes, its exactly like you mention, the most viable way to get the flood barriers in time is plan ahead, and try to grab the walls tech sooner than later. Start building barriers before bad things start to happen or you can get trapped easily, especially the higher difficulties/bigger maps, where there will be more people contributing faster. The other option is being lucky to have Valetta city state as suzerain, and buy the barriers with faith.

You can try going zero emissions, or near zero, by not building coal power plants and such, but even railroads will make a significant impact on global climate, which would leave you at a disadvantage, so you would be basically adding a new layer of difficulty to your game.

I usually go the "clean" route, but I end building a couple IZ and railroads for the boosts, some odd gifted ship from a Great Person, and we are on the same path again

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

And most importantly, how many lowland tiles your city has decides the cost.
    2 lowland tiles means barriers will be twice as expensive
    4 lowland tiles means 4x as expensive.

And clever old Firaxis INCREASED the number of lowland tiles in the last patch.
    Getting hit by the smaller hurricane and your lowland districts are still 100% guaranteed to be pillaged.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    acluewithout likes this.
  9. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

Beeline to computer after industrialization and steel
    Get 3rd Tier Government fast to boost computer tech
    Be Valetta's suzerain, pump envoys to her, defend her!
    Then buy flood barriers with 160 faith, every coastal city.

10. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

If reality has its regular ways with (some) global issues.. we might have to revise our opinions on the expected Sea-Level rises of the near future. But.. i'd still pretend Firaxis estimations are fair & square all around except for the previously unpatched systems that slightly screwed up the Barriers timing with pollution impacts.

Speculative yet interesting article from Time ©...
    http://time.com/5592583/sea-levels-rise-higher-study/

11. Lazy sweeper

Lazy sweeper Warlord

I suppose building Flood barriers with workers as for the Great wall it's a stupid idea...
    but it would address the fact that we do not decide where to buld the barriers, and if there is a bottleneck strait,
    which by closing it it could save other 6 tiles, it would effectively lower the cost.
    Only caveat any flood barrier should need multiple charges to build, or that would be too easy.

12. kb27787

kb27787 Emperor

Have you tried using military engineers instead? You can purchase these guys straight up with gold right?

Sostratus likes this.
  13. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

Yep. it takes just a couple of turns to build an ME in any decent city, and with 2.5 of them, you are guaranteed to put those sea walls up in 5 turns or less. (Use the last charge on one, move another ME on the tile and use his charge, etc. If you bring 3 MEs at once it'll only take 3 turns.)
    Also makes England's flood barriers trivial to build. The key if you're getting behind the curve is to rush for the computers tech instead of meandering around the modern era.

Remember that you need an armory in a city to build those engineers!!