1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Coalition of the New

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Role Play & Games' started by Swissempire, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

The Coalition of the New

This is the party/citizien group devoted to and run by new players or Tolerant Vets.

Mission Statement
    We are commited to help the new players
    We are commited to helping new players or tolerant vet reach office
    We are commited to stopping Vetism at every corner
    We are commited to upholding the consitution and this Demogame
    We are the Future of the Civ4 demogame

What is Vetism?
    Vetism is the beleif that since Veteran players are better than you or I because of there post count or because they are hold-overs from the previous demogames
    A There are many different types of vetists, ranging from those who are passive vetists, to those who will ignroe/ridicule you for your lack of experience. Exact defintions for the kinds and types of vetism will be dicuss later on
    Not all veterans are vetists though, so give everyone a chance before you right them off as a vetist.

How to Join?
    Just post here, or PM me. Its as easy as that

Anything Else
    Feel free to post questions here, or to pm strider(he is a very helpful person)
    There is no party structure or official positions. We are a NOOB union, a coalition of the new.

2. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

Member List:
    Swissempire
    Robboo
    I am the Future
    Oldbus
    BCLG100
    Methos

3. robboo

robboo Deity

Sign me up

4. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

We almost have as many people as the coalition of the willing:crazyeye:

5. robboo

robboo Deity

2 people can make a difference...LETS GO!!

6. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

Sign me up.

THough I will say voting for people with 2000 posts is a good idea ;)

7. robboo

robboo Deity

You better post a few more times before you vote for yourself then...;)

8. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

I got 2001 now!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Oldbus

Oldbus Chief of Confusion

I'd like to sign up to this. I'm a noob to the Demo Game and I don't get an awful lot of time to contribute, but I have been trying to keep up with what has been happening. I'm offering a few thoughts as well as signing up. It deliberately doesn't have names as I hope to look positively to what we can do in the future, rather than what has happened.

One thing I haven't been very happy about is the way some of our officials (especially, but not exclusively, new folk) have been pounced upon when they have made decisions that were either: against our Constitution/CoL, very unwise with hindsight or did not meet with everyone's approval. I'm not saying that we don't need to correct our officials if we get it wrong or that we shouldn't express an opinion on the way our officials conduct themselves, but there are different ways to do this. I would suggest that being fairly rude to them and implying they are unaware of the way things have always been done or don't have the citizen's interests at heart is not a good way of doing this.

I joined the Demo Game after all the Alphawolf incident and, apart from one person whose posts I found a bit suspect (but who has since left the game and is therefore irrelevant) I don't think I have come across anyone here who did not have the interests of the DG and its citizens at heart. I think they may have made some wrong decisions that weren't in our interests, but I think from what I have read that these were merely mistakes and that no-one has any intention of repeating them.

I am particularly concerned about the stuff to do with officials because I know I would have made many of the same mistakes if I had been in office. I am beginning to see the light on the views about the amount of power elected officials have and just how important the Instruction thread is and how important it is to stop the turnchat rather than make important decisions on the fly that we as citizens must decide. I expect the reasons for my slow understanding are bringing with me a perception of the powers of elected officials from real life, combined with an obscurity of information in the Demo Game. When I joined I made a real effort to read the threads, read turnchat logs and I've even had a few stabs at the Constitution/CoL. However, it was not at all obvious to me that this was how the game was expected to function. I appreciate I have no skills at reading legal docs, but there may be grounds for clarifying them. Some of the arguments put forward have sounded very much like interpretation and when it is just interpretation then people can have differing views. It also hasn't helped that many of our more experienced members haven't upheld the spirit of the rules at times either and reading turnchat logs etc. can give a misleading impression. I think one of the things the Coalition might do is ask Strider to add info about this issue to the Information Department. This would include information for new citizens and fairly clear guidelines for new officials.

However, we might consider putting these guidelines up for review first. It seems that others have different opinions over this crucial issue and just because I and others want to play the Demo Game this way, doesn't mean everyone wants to. Whether or not previous Demo Games have been played this way I would say is irrelevant.

This brings me on to another point. While experience is very helpful, a statement like "X will not work - see DG N" is not. However, if someone says "I don't think X will work because of Y. We had experience in DG N" then that is rather different. I'm all for learning from past mistakes, but if you have experience to offer, then offer us newbies the insight from your experience. I don't intend to trawl vast amounts of previous posts from a DG I've never been involved in to pick up that wisdom.

Anyway, I hope that if anyone has read this ramble you have taken it in the spirit it was meant – some positive ideas for our future. :)

10. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

:clap: Oldbus, thats what i feel like a lot of time too. Its a new demogame, but sometimes it feels like people don't regonize that. I would love to here more about your guidlines idea!

11. robboo

robboo Deity

With elections coming soon we need to target new players and ask them to run for offices.

I will be running for an office but I am unsure which one. IN addition I contacted a "new" player prior to this thread and I feel sure he will run for an office also.

/notice..to follow the rules..I did not say vote only for new players I said target them to run. I will still vote based on what people say and their past actions.

12. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

I agree Robboo. See there is a fine line between Slate voting and what is happening here. Since a CG or PP is a group of people who belive the smae thing, stating that they should vote for someone because that person matches the beleif of the party is not slate voting. Slate voting is only saying they must vote for so and so.

I think you should run again for Sec. of War. I don;t know what to run for though, because my Censor Term Expires. Maybe Minister of Culture. Any Suggestions?

I still think you should run of Sec. of State Oldbus.

13. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

I'll join, people take this game faaaaaaaaaaaar too seriously and many take themselves far too seriously as well.

14. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

Yay, BCLG, welcome. I agree entirely

15. robboo

robboo Deity

I dont know where I will run yet. I have to check on a few times around home first to see my commitment level.

I asked pajka to run for something...he will be nominated by me once I talk to him.

BCLG..what are you interested in runing for.

16. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Probably nothing again :) theres a reason why i havnt run for anything for like 2 years :)

17. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

A couple of People have decided to campaign for the "Experienced Judicary". I find this quite distressing. I had no plans on voting for an all "N00b Judiciary", i was going to evaulate opinions. But now during elections we see the Civ3 demogamers coming out to campaign to make the Civ4 demogame nothing more than the civ3 one wiht a different version. I like to think of myself as an experienced player, but if the fact that i didn't partcipate in the Civ3 demogames is going to be held against me in the elections, i am quite distressed. I have participated in the Civ4 DG since the beginning, and have run for/held office in all three terms. If it is going to be held against me that i have never run for judicary before, even in a previous demogame, i am outraged. This is quite blatant vetism! I point you to this phrase
    :mad:

18. Oldbus

Oldbus Chief of Confusion

I quite agree on this. My personal feelings on this is that I would like a judiciary (and a goverment) with a good balance of new and experienced folks. In practice I shall be voting for whoever has put up a good argument in the nomination/voting threads and whoever has shown good sense in relevant postings over recent weeks (if appropriate) - DG age will not be a factor.

What is rather sad about this is that DZ made the posting and up until now I have had great respect for his posts.

One of the annoying things is that, even if you subscribe to the view that things have come off the rails, it is certainly not newbies that are only at fault.

19. robboo

robboo Deity

Well its time to hurt them...him in particular at the voting box.

There is no different in what he just said than us saying only vote for a certain party. In My opinion and only my opinion it violates the spirit of the "rule " that states political partys cant "block vote". That is basically what he is doing.

20. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

It seems that my words have caused an unintended firestorm, for which I apologize profusely. Please read my statement in the Presidential election thread and vote your conscience:

Public Apology

For the record, I have always been a strong supporter of newcomers to the game, giving credit where it is due. I hope that I can regain your collective trust again some day.